New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

CJR

If you have a FP reservation then you already 'have' a seat. If you want front row then of course you'll need to line up early. We got over to DAK about 5:00pm and people were already queuing up for the 7:15pm show. We walked in with our FP about 6:45pm and were able to find a nice spot.

To piggy back off this, since it's stadium seating, it's hard to get a bad spot. I mean, if you have children, you could be in the second row and have issues if there's a tall person right in front of them. So, unless you're at the very front, the difference is minimal, in my opinion. I actually like seating towards the back just so I can get out faster.

They seemed to load the theaters similar to Fantasmic, one section at a time, so coming later doesn't necessarily mean you'll sit further back, but instead, more towards the Asia end of the park. Just my opinion, there isn't really a bad spot in the whole theater given the scope of the show.

FigmentJedi

tumblr_olqpu3ekl51sa3t1go1_540.png

Tom Morrow

I have avoided this thread and any spoilers about the show. I saw the second showing last Friday night. I was not blown away, but didn't hate it either. It's visually stunning, the music is amazing, and I get and absolutely appreciate what they were going for: an IP-less, more artistic visual experience, similar to the Tree of Life projection shows and how those are conceptually on a higher level than the "greatest hits" series of clips that make up the castle projection shows. I think it fits with the theme and message of the park perfectly. It also makes me reminisce of the days where the parks outside of MK were not as IP heavy. I'm amazed that it is IP-less and while the show could use some reworking for pacing and narrative, I hope they never add IP.

I was unable to follow any sort of narrative. I know there is one, but it's very vague. This in itself doesn't bother me at all, but my takeaway is that the fact that you basically have to sit in the seating sections to experience the show automatically gives people the impression that this should be a more theatrical experience, when in fact it would work better as something you could see from the walkways like the projection shows and IllumiNations.

Two changes immediately came to my mind at the conclusion of the show that would help with pacing and narrative: In additional to a more impressionable finale, halfway through the show, the performers on the boats should take "center stage" again with some additional narration.

brb1006

First multiangle video edit I've seen. Really good showcase of the Shaman Boats, though in order to avoid the copyright drones, the uploader has chosen to go the route of "Constantly altering the pitch of the audio like its a YouTube Poop".

How long will the copyright drones for ROL last? I don't remember any new Disney show getting this treatment before.

Tom Morrow

I feel like I'm the only one who thought the finale was spectacular :hilarious: Maybe I've just overdosed on pixie dust because I truly can't think of a single flaw for Rivers of Light, not one.
I actually kind of like the fact that the response has been pretty polarizing, they took a risk and had a specific artistic vision for this show and went with it, instead of just producing another slapped together time filler like the castle projection shows (let's face it) basically are. They could have just spliced in some Lion King, Jungle Book, Bambi, etc, and probably more guests would like the show, but very few would love it.

Regarding the finale, it just needs more of a wow factor, maybe a finale float that hadn't appeared up to that point.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Iger can't do anything now, right? I mean ROL is already open to the masses, He's had to see the show since right?
His role in the show has been greatly exaggerated online. He saw it during the cast previews, and like everyone, made some comments, but nothing that caused any major changes or issues. I would expect his viewing today will be similar.

Rteetz

His role in the show has been greatly exaggerated online. He saw it during the cast previews, and like everyone, made some comments, but nothing that caused any major changes or issues. I would expect his viewing today will be similar.
I assume he is in town for more than RoL?

jrhwdw

Wonder if he'll say anything if the pedals on the main lotus still won't open tonight?

Magic Feather

Not that this will happen, at all. If anything this next statement is purely armchair imagineering.

Based on what I have heard both through execs, forum partakers (you guys), and people I have seen the show with, one of the best things they could do would be to scrap the main lotus for a fifth smaller lotus for the dance, and then have a new, larger finale float that arrives during Aurora Borealis, and morphs during Constellations. That is completely different from the lotuses, or any other floats.

Sped2424

Not that this will happen, at all. If anything this next statement is purely armchair imagineering.

Based on what I have heard both through execs, forum partakers (you guys), and people I have seen the show with, one of the best things they could do would be to scrap the main lotus for a fifth smaller lotus for the dance, and then have a new, larger finale float that arrives during Aurora Borealis, and morphs during Constellations. That is completely different from the lotuses, or any other floats.
Much smarter imo

JoeCamel

Sounds like the thinking that got them in this pickle to begin with.

Maybe they could check what they can do then design around that?

JAMMYD778

It appears the show is a small lotus barge down tonight. Operating with three small lotus floats instead of the four. Good to see the team can adapt in these certain circumstances and still put on a good show! :)

EDIT: Second show appears to be back to four. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom