New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Jones14

We just saw the 8:30 show. Technically and conceptually, the show is stunning. The choreo of the floats is astounding; it really is nuts how precisely the show is run. The story, as vague as it is, also feels clear and I felt as though I could always follow what was supposed to be happening. There are some very good high points, namely, the introduction of the animal floats and the reveal of the lotus screens (and subsequent animals "hopping" from flower to flower).

On the other hand, the pacing is just bad, and the focus is lacking as a whole.

The show starts with all four small lotuses on the river, which would be fine if they weren't the central element of the show. The shamans appear next, and their boats spend almost no time in front of the seats. Fire spends a bit of time with us, but it felt as though the Water boat rocketed to the center of the lagoon almost immediately. To this end, I think it would've been better to start with the boats at the docks, them coming to meet at the bridge, and then heading to the lagoon together, and THEN summoning the lotuses.

This led to a sense of largeness that the show failed to really surpass by a nice margin right from the get-go, and the subsequent introduction of the animal floats only exacerbated the issue. Side note: the animal floats are BEAUTIFUL, and it is an absolute crime that you only get a good look at two of them. Also, the shamans and animals are the most interesting things to look at, so the underuse of them in favor of the lotuses was a bit of a headscratcher. But moving along, their introduction signals the climax of the show.

This is not the intended climax, but the entire audience (myself included) gasped and wowed as they came out and positioned themselves, and the result was breathtaking. But then they were quickly gone, and did not come back till the end, at which point they were grossly underutilized, and the show now had reached it's most breathtaking moment within the first five minutes.

Moving on: the lotus/projection portion. I have to say that this was great, but some of the punch was lost because it felt like it should have built into the intro of the animal floats, not the other way around. The large lotus was underwhelming as a whole, mostly because of the way it was presented. With as interesting as the transitions up to this point had been, it was weird to see what was supposed to be the centerpiece come out so simply (unlit and in a straight line to the center of the lagoon). Also, four fountains was kind of pathetic after a while.

The fire was nice, but with the level of punch it was intended to have, it falls flat. I think this moment would work better if fire also shot out from the other lotuses. It doesn't need fireworks, but it needs more. This also suffers from having to compete with the reveal of the animal floats, which I must reiterate was fantastic. What I really think should happen is that the animals should come back after the lotuses do their thing and move to their reveal positions (but switch the animals so that the animals are on the opposite sides they started on) before all goes dark and the tower rises. Then, when the tower lights, shoot fire from the smaller lotuses, light the animal lanterns as though they're on fire, and you've got a better climax moment.

I don't mind the floats staying onstage after the show ends, but I really think the fountains and floats should subtly change colors like the castle does since they don't disappear like fantasmic does.

I thought it was a good show, but it needs some reconfiguration and retooling to be on the same level as what the other parks offer.

FigmentJedi

The show starts with all four small lotuses on the river, which would be fine if they weren't the central element of the show. The shamans appear next, and their boats spend almost no time in front of the seats. Fire spends a bit of time with us, but it felt as though the Water boat rocketed to the center of the lagoon almost immediately. To this end, I think it would've been better to start with the boats at the docks, them coming to meet at the bridge, and then heading to the lagoon together, and THEN summoning the lotuses.
That's basically what the plan was when the mini lanterns were in. The preshow would have consisted of them coming into place, followed by the Shamans arrival at the start of the show and the Lotuses really being introduced at the end of the Animal Spirit parade. You can tell that was the plan because you see a spirit lotus flow by on the water screen for each animal spirit as they emerge from their barges.

coasterphil

My thoughts won't be as measured or positive as those above. I thought it was an absolute trainwreck and Disney should be embarrassed that this is the product they're presenting a year after the show was supposed to premier.

I also didn't get the sense that the crowd was wowed or mesmerized by it. The ending in particular seemed to leave most completely nonplused. To say the show lacks a finale would be a tremendous understatement.

Travel Junkie

IMO, this is the review that nails it:
http://www./2017/02/review-rivers-o...neys-animal-kingdom-but-its-not-for-everyone/

It explains what I have been thinking better than I could write. I love it, and find it to be a brilliant work of artistry. Some find it jumbled. It is a matter of opinion.

I thought it was great too, but it is a very different type of show for Disney. Hopefully they can smooth things out and keep the essence of the show. I find it a refreshing and artistic reprieve from the typical and uncreative Disney IP dump that permeates most of their shows.

TTA94

That's basically what the plan was when the mini lanterns were in. The preshow would have consisted of them coming into place, followed by the Shamans arrival at the start of the show and the Lotuses really being introduced at the end of the Animal Spirit parade. You can tell that was the plan because you see a spirit lotus flow by on the water screen for each animal spirit as they emerge from their barges.

I can see why they had issues with the lanterns. Any type of water current would move them all over the place or even knock them over. Sadly I don't see them being able to fix that issue.

cjkeating

I can see why they had issues with the lanterns. Any type of water current would move them all over the place or even knock them over. Sadly I don't see them being able to fix that issue.

I haven't heard of any posters with inside knowledge calling the lanterns abandoned just that they were put on hold to get the rest of the show working correctly and then reliably. It wouldn't surprise me if they made a debut in a years time and were advertised as a new addition to the show.

djkidkaz

As a sidebar to the reviews, does anyone know if Everest is running during the show? The one time I've seen it so far Everest was not running and they were using those cast to transport strollers to the holding area. Wasn't sure if it was coincidence or if the ride is not in operation during ROL.

SpectroMan93

As a sidebar to the reviews, does anyone know if Everest is running during the show? The one time I've seen it so far Everest was not running and they were using those cast to transport strollers to the holding area. Wasn't sure if it was coincidence or if the ride is not in operation during ROL.
I heard screaming in the background of a video shot from the bridge, so I think yes. At least I hope so.

Bolt

Do Everest and ROL cast wear the same costume, though?

Slowjack

Here's my take. Judging by the videos, I think I will really enjoy this show. But I think the show has problems related to what I'll call build-up and context.

Consider Journey of the Little Mermaid over at the Magic Kingdom. Although many have complaints about certain details, on the whole it's a well-done family attraction. The problem is build-up and context. In this case, the queue and external facade provide a huge build-up. Similar Fantasyland attractions, though they have upgraded the queues in recent years, have basic queues that don't promise much. Journey of the Little Mermaid doesn't deliver on the build-up of its queue. Likewise, there's context. JotLM is the centerpiece of the Fantasyland forest--the biggest expansion in the park's history (or so Disney trumpeted in their press materials). Guests might have hoped for a long attraction filled with memorable events, like the Haunted Mansion, but instead just got a pleasant, fairly short ride.

So while JotLM is a fine ride, it suffers in comparison to the ride that build-up and context seem to indicate it should be.

I feel like Disney has made the same mistake with RoL. Fans of the show are saying that it's an artistic, boutique, indie-band kind of experience: not for everyone. Of course nothing at Disney appeals to everyone, but most shows and rides are at least trying to appeal to almost everyone who walks through the gates. A show with more limited appeal is fine with me, but again I would look at build-up and context. Part of the build-up problem with RoL was caused by the huge delay, which of course no one wanted. But part of the build-up is how Disney promotes this. For example, does RoL "need" a big finale? Well, this is how Disney describes it: "This magnetic display culminates in a triumphant blend of song, light, color and earthly elements—a grand finale so divine that you can’t help but feel a sense of peace and oneness with nature."

And then there's context. Disney is trying to transform itself from a pack-up-at-dusk park to a stay-the-evening park. In that context, RoL is the equivalent of Wishes or Illuminations. But those are big shows that everyone can see and enjoy. RoL, in contrast, has limited seating, (may not even run every night?), and offers more subtle charms. RoL isn't just a show that needs to have a big finale--in many ways, it needs to be a big finale for the whole park day. But it was never going to be that.

Summing up: build-up and context create disappointment. Viewed independently, I think RoL looks very good. I think the team that created it should be proud of the work they've done to get it to this point, and I hope they continue to improve it. But in the position the show is in, it's going to be tough for the show to be viewed as entirely successful. And there's really not a lot Disney could do. If they could add other, bigger nighttime events, it would take the heat off RoL and let it be fully appreciated for what it is, but Animal Kingdom is not built for those kinds of things.

VJ

UMG is Universal Music Group, not Disney. They seem to strike whatever the hell they want. It's been a problem for years.
Does anyone know why UMG is blocking the videos if they don't even own the music?
UMG distributes Walt Disney Records albums (and Apex distributes them in Japan), so they're legally allowed to serve copyright notices on behalf of Disney. It's not unheard of for Disney themselves to take down videos they don't want up, though. Considering an album release for the show has been planned all along (and a future release is imminent), it's not surprising at all that UMG is taking down videos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom