New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@Magic Feather @wdwmagic Have you heard if they are going to continue working on RoL 3rd shift to perfect the show and work on the floating lanterns? Or have they just simply given up and pushed the lanterns to the back burner for now? I know you all have said before we won't be seeing the lanterns for awhile.. but I'm just curious if the attempt is even there to get them added asap?
Right now the job is get the shows reliability up and have a consistent and reliable product each night. Think of now as technical softs. A lot of them.

Anything else that may or may not happen will wait.

cjkeating

Yeesh everyone is obsessed with the lanterns like they will make the show significantly better. The show is beautiful with or without the lanterns, If you think the lanterns will greatly
change the experience for you, you are
sadly mistaken.

I don't think people who currently rate the show poorly will rate the show any better after the lanterns are added because it is the principle of the show that doesn't work for some people. However I think others who rate the show a 7 or 8 out of 10 would appreciate the lanterns and would rate the show a point or two higher with them included. Lots of positive feedback is about how well the choreography of the floats are, but there are only 11 floats on the river, imagine that with almost 100 lanterns added into that.

[Yes I am aware if they struggle to get 11 floats to work adding 100 isn't going to be easy or potentially even possible...]

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
What they have works but I still think it could use a stronger more powerful ending of some kind. Then again I am just judging it from the video so far

ToTBellHop

The show could only benefit from more visual splendor and the finale is a bit sparse because it was supposed to have more contrasting light on the water. For a show all about harmony and balance, it is out of balance between water and light.

culturenthrills

The show could only benefit from more visual splendor and the finale is a bit sparse because it was supposed to have more contrasting light on the water. For a show all about harmony and balance, it is out of balance between water and light.

That may be my one complaint is their isn't that thing that wow factor that needs to be their in the finale. I think if there had been more fire it might have helped. It is hard to have an impactful ending without pyro.

Next Big Thing

So i'm probably going to the park to see the show today. I don't have a FP+ for it as it's gone, so my main question is how early should I arrive/wait to get a decent seat on the Stand-By side?

Disone

Yeesh everyone is obsessed with the lanterns like they will make the show significantly better. The show is beautiful with or without the lanterns, If you think the lanterns will greatly
change the experience for you, you are
sadly mistaken.

Maybe in stead of the water the lanterns could be in the air instead via Drones. I have already seen this used in a parade and the drones looked very simular to the style of lantern on the two boats, yet were still LED and could change colors.

TTA94

A surprise feature helps but that lotus flame feature just isn't dramatic enough.

What's the surprise feature? Have we seen this yet? Or are they saving something for the official opening? Yes I know it won't be the lanterns hahaha.

And as for the lanterns I know they won't play a huge role but it would be a nice addition to a already nice and beautiful show.

matt9112

Annual pass holder preview line to the left of main entrance by rainforest cafe entrance (park side entrance) DVC and AP get wristbands for tonight's show.

ToTBellHop

What's the surprise feature? Have we seen this yet? Or are they saving something for the official opening? Yes I know it won't be the lanterns hahaha.

And as for the lanterns I know they won't play a huge role but it would be a nice addition to a already nice and beautiful show.
The lotus flame is meant to be one. Or the flame that shoots fireworks inside the Earth Barge during IllumiNations. Or the dragon in Fantasmic. I'm not suggesting there is one forthcoming for RoL. Only that the one they went with is somewhat unimpressive.

RSD Part Deux

For what it's worth, according to the WDWMagic news story, it's one of the longer nighttime shows.

Interesting. I guess it's because it's set up like a Fantasmic with stadium style seating. Unlike wishes or roe where you can watch it from many viewpoints. This show required a lot of effort to get seated. It just didn't seem worth it to me.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Interesting. I guess it's because it's set up like a Fantasmic with stadium style seating. Unlike wishes or roe where you can watch it from many viewpoints. This show required a lot of effort to get seated. It just didn't seem worth it to me.

The seating is horrible. Good luck when June arrives. It will be hot humid and sweaty. Yes, i know fantastic is no better but at least the seating is more room to expand.

MatthewWho13

They got through it tonight! Some issues with one of the water jets (so half of the main screen) but it was fixed during the show.

Yeah right side water screen dropped in the lotus scene and came back up right after. Laser effects except for fireflies were mia.

In person it is way more impressive and very beautiful. The scale and details get missed on the videos

djkidkaz

So I came here to retract my initial thoughts on this show after seeing it tonight in person. I truly think the show is pretty well done. I loved the barges with the lotus flowers and the animals. The colors used throughout were pleasing to the eye and the water effects / fountains from the lotus flowers were all great. Musical score was fantastic and overall I just felt like the show was something unique and needed to be because of how unique and different AK is. If I had any gripes with the show it would be the rear water screens which tended to just be blurry and almost unrecognizable what was on them. I honestly thought the pacing / length of the show was good and even the finale felt fine to me. With talk that they are still going to be adding to the show I think they have a hit on their hands. As I was watching it I was thinking that this is a perfect ending to a day at AK.

EricsBiscuit

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I just saw ROL. Not better than Fantasmic!, but it was still cool. Needs more pyro... They had AP previews today so I went.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom