New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Out of curiosity, for those who might be "in the know", and I know the show hasn't even officially opened yet, but is Disney still actively working on improvements/additions (especially the lanterns) for this show, or have they put everything on hold for now? What are the chances that we could see notable changes in 3 months? 6 months? 9 months? 12 months?

rushtest4echo

The rear screens have fundamental issues that can't be addressed easily.

Unlike Fantasmic the screen comes from the side - two sides. They're much more likely to be affected by the wind. And gravity. Sometimes they'll meet. Sometimes they'll fall short. And sometimes they'll overlap, giving an uneven and thicker water surface in the middle.

In 1988 Illuminations tried screens from the side. Only this time it was a mist spray from the two top corners, spraying across and downwards. Gravity actually helped. They also were for laser, not video, which helped.

Fantasmic, WoC and Dreams! works because the water source is central. Rivers of Light is fighting a much longer lateral throw with a material that's not known to work well with wind and gravity.

My thoughts exactly.

Though the show was never greenlit, the proposed precurser to what became Luminaria also used these types of screens with poor results.

I'm happy that people seem to be satisfied with how the screens are working right now. I guess if they've relegated them to mistly mood lighting (which wasn't their intended purpose), then even during poor conditions they should be able to make things decent.

It just irks me to see these sorts of screens being toyed with after attempts dating back decades with mixed to poor results. Just go with the big Fantasmic style screens (which could still be retrofitted to RoL) and nip these issues in the bud. I don't think they'd have many issues producing the moving semicircles in RoL with the Fantasmic screen tech.

Still though, Im glad to be in the minority with my concern about the screens.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Out of curiosity, for those who might be "in the know", and I know the show hasn't even officially opened yet, but is Disney still actively working on improvements/additions (especially the lanterns) for this show, or have they put everything on hold for now? What are the chances that we could see notable changes in 3 months? 6 months? 9 months? 12 months?
The show needs work, technically and artistically. That's a known. But they're out of time. The year long easing into things for everything from PAC to ops to tech crumbled and now it has to be open for Avalnd and the anticipated crowds. Last years all day into night promo fell apart and the same thing can't happen again.

Right now it's open the show, get it running reliably, then worry about improving it. How and when remains to be seen. Hardly good news but that's how it's worked out due to many different things all conspiring against opening. As we've seen over the last ten months take nothing for granted and wait until things actually happen. Night after night.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My thoughts exactly.

Though the show was never greenlit, the proposed precurser to what became Luminaria also used these types of screens with poor results.

I'm happy that people seem to be satisfied with how the screens are working right now. I guess if they've relegated them to mistly mood lighting (which wasn't their intended purpose), then even during poor conditions they should be able to make things decent.

It just irks me to see these sorts of screens being toyed with after attempts dating back decades with mixed to poor results. Just go with the big Fantasmic style screens (which could still be retrofitted to RoL) and nip these issues in the bud. I don't think they'd have many issues producing the moving semicircles in RoL with the Fantasmic screen tech.

Still though, Im glad to be in the minority with my concern about the screens.
Amen bro.

jaxonp

From my understanding from boots on them ground, the show has hardly changed from a year ago. The GPS issues and other issues with the barges coupled with creative differences among the leaders were the main things that held this show back. What was cut wasn't a big deal, again from what I was told. This show is simply different than all of the other shows Disney has done and that is a GOOD thing. For the life of me, I can't figure out why many people on this site find fireworks a required element of nighttime shows at Disney. Like its a required part of the recipe. I'm glad the show is open and I'm glad it's different. I personally wish we would have gotten an east coast version of WOC but it's nice that Disney tried something new!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From my understanding from boots on them ground, the show has hardly changed from a year ago. The GPS issues and other issues with the barges coupled with creative differences among the leaders were the main things that held this show back. What was cut wasn't a big deal, again from what I was told. This show is simply different than all of the other shows Disney has done and that is a GOOD thing. For the life of me, I can't figure out why many people on this site find fireworks a required element of nighttime shows at Disney. Like its a required part of the recipe. I'm glad the show is open and I'm glad it's different. I personally wish we would have gotten an east coast version of WOC but it's nice that Disney tried something new!
But surely inherent issues in something that's been in development in its current form for 5-6 years should be ironed out way before now (projection technology, pacing, finale)?

Don't get me wrong. The park needed something unique like this.

jaxonp

But surely inherent issues in something that's been in development in its current form for 5-6 years should be ironed out way before now (projection technology, finale)?

Don't get me wrong. The park needed something unique like this.

You would think. I know that this show has had more difficulty with technology partners than perhaps any attraction/show in Disney history. It has been a challenge to say the least. I'm not sure if it was lack of vision or what. I honestly don't know.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You would think. I know that this show has had more difficulty with technology partners than perhaps any attraction/show in Disney history. It has been a challenge to say the least. I'm not sure if it was lack of vision or what. I honestly don't know.
ROE has its fair share of.... issues. Some were fixed, some were axed.

ToTBellHop

Finale issues should have been abundantly clear. And don't let anyone lie to you--lower level pyro like they use for OUaT at MK would've been fine with the animals. Or perhaps some serious fire like they installed atop the GMR. This is a company that seemingly turns out a new nighttime spectacular monthly.

jaxonp

Finale issues should have been abundantly clear. And don't let anyone lie to you--lower level pyro like they use for OUaT at MK would've been fine with the animals. Or perhaps some serious fire like they installed atop the GMR. This is a company that seemingly turns out a new nighttime spectacular monthly.

Again, but why are fireworks or fire required for all shows? This I don't understand, at all. lol

You can bake a cake without flour.

ToTBellHop

Again, but why are fireworks or fire required for all shows? This I don't understand, at all. lol

You can bake a cake without flour.
They've run theme parks for 61 years with impressive finales to the day. Surprisingly we expect from Disney what we've received from Disney.

And, to be fair, it was SUPPOSED to have more fire. They are delivering a less impressive product than planned, promised, and promoted.

jaxonp

They've run theme parks for 61 years with impressive finales to the day. Surprisingly we expect from Disney what we've received from Disney.

And, to be fair, it was SUPPOSED to have more fire. They are delivering a less impressive product than planned, promised, and promoted.

How much fire/fireworks are in WOC? Why can't Disney evolve and do something new? Many shows have water jets in them.. Should they dig up around Cinderella castle and add some jets to match Paris and Shanghai?

jaxonp

Disney set the bar for themselves. Sorry for them that they've decided $$$$ is more important than show. The four keys, $how, $aftey, Court$ey, and efficiency$.

Again, where is the decree that stats all Disney Nighttime Shows hence forth will shoot fireworks to entertain and satisfy the American need for homogeny? It's as if one can't enjoy the 4 other shows at WDW that have fireworks in them! Yeesh people. I don't hear anyone complaining about WOC for not having these elements! What gives? ROL will never satisfy anyone. Go to the show, sit there, close your eyes and just listen to the music. That, in itself, is a masterpiece. Not all parks need to be the Magic Kingdom. Many of you on here complain about this very thing and here you are defending the notion that all shows should really be the same. Shame.

rushtest4echo

Everest, Test Track, American Adventure, Illuminations, Paint the Night, Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, California Screamin, Golden Zephyr, Tower of Terror Paris, and pretty much anything from Arrow in the 1950's would like a word with you. ;)

Still though, Disney's arrogance with the LPS system is 50/50 on them and their tech partners. I still have yet to understand why basic emitters and rader weren't used. The supplier doesn't exactly have a good track record with positioning systems- just look at Sea World's antarctica. Weatherproof projectors that were neither ventilated nor weatherproof aren't really Disney's fault but they probably could have done more internal testing rather than taking suppliers word for it. The poor fidelity on the screens has been addressed to most people's satisfaction I guess. The flow of the show is good, though the cuts could be better done.

I'd still prefer something closer to Braviseamo's firebird emerging for the finale. That would have been an epic/appropriate end to this show even on a smaller scale.

jaxonp

Everest, Test Track, American Adventure, Illuminations, Paint the Night, Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, California Screamin, Golden Zephyr, Tower of Terror Paris, and pretty much anything from Arrow in the 1950's would like a word with you. ;)

Still though, Disney's arrogance with the LPS system is 50/50 on them and their tech partners. I still have yet to understand why basic emitters and rader weren't used. The supplier doesn't exactly have a good track record with positioning systems- just look at Sea World's antarctica. Weatherproof projectors that were neither ventilated nor weatherproof aren't really Disney's fault but they probably could have done more internal testing rather than taking suppliers word for it. The poor fidelity on the screens has been addressed to most people's satisfaction I guess. The flow of the show is good, though the cuts could be better done.

Poor Arrow... haha.

Really though.. only Test Track seemed to go way beyond the original date, but at least that was a completely new technology.. or was it.. Did Rocket Rods come before TT? I know that was a similar ride system IIRC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom