New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Daveeeeed

Out of curiosity is there a difference in show quality from Dinoland to Asia? Obviously Asia has the better theater, but is the view and sound quality still about the same or equal? We got our first diner package and we did it for our first time for Tiffins. Is it better just to get a FP and be seated in Asia and then go to tiffins or is the dinner package better?

TTA94

Out of curiosity is there a difference in show quality from Dinoland to Asia? Obviously Asia has the better theater, but is the view and sound quality still about the same or equal? We got our first diner package and we did it for our first time for Tiffins. Is it better just to get a FP and be seated in Asia and then go to tiffins or is the dinner package better?

I've been curious about this myself. I always sat on the Asia side for Jungle Book and once for RoL toward the top row next to the show control building.

rushtest4echo

3 shows so far.

Fire lotus had issues in all 3. Screens in back were terrible all 3 nights (didn't work for half the show tonight). 3 times the blue shaman's boat got an unintended shower. One show stop and lots of little misses here and there. Still have some fixing to do that's for sure.

Overall though, very solid show. Beautiful. I really like the audio from 3 different areas/levels. It felt like DL's Fantasmic a few times with the surround sound effects! I hope they get a more impressive finale. I think it's "just enough", but it could use a bit more umph to impress most people.

JoeCamel

So the people that have seen it all say the water screens are subpar. How does a world class company produce this? They have extensive experience with water screens?

Really I understand this has been in development for 3+ years but they charge for it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ideas for plussing the show:

1. Get Lanterns fixed, obviously
2. Three Pyro Barges instead of one
3. Have the shamans' boats more in the foreground than the background
4. Projections on the trees in the background should always be doing stuff: slow change of lighting, auroras, pyschodelic dancing, more shadow animals, aquarium, etc...
5. Tree of Life should also be more coordinated into the show
6. More holographic animals over the lotuses... that's the coolest SFX

Magic Feather

3 shows so far.

Fire lotus had issues in all 3. Screens in back were terrible all 3 nights (didn't work for half the show tonight). 3 times the blue shaman's boat got an unintended shower. One show stop and lots of little misses here and there. Still have some fixing to do that's for sure.

Overall though, very solid show. Beautiful. I really like the audio from 3 different areas/levels. It felt like DL's Fantasmic a few times with the surround sound effects! I hope they get a more impressive finale. I think it's "just enough", but it could use a bit more umph to impress most people.
Fire Lotus worked fine night one, at least with its scaled back effects. Screens were also fine night one, although a bit shaky last night, and tonight's obvious slip. Overall, the show worked near perfectly night one, except the positioning error. Pretty "oof" last night. And tonight showed the team's ability to problem solve.

rushtest4echo

Screens were turrible all 3 nights, and we had centered seats all 3 nights. I guess you're saying that's as good as it's going to get. Kinda disappointing. Still a blob of color for most of the show.

Sthebest

So I came here to retract my initial thoughts on this show after seeing it tonight in person. I truly think the show is pretty well done. I loved the barges with the lotus flowers and the animals. The colors used throughout were pleasing to the eye and the water effects / fountains from the lotus flowers were all great. Musical score was fantastic and overall I just felt like the show was something unique and needed to be because of how unique and different AK is. If I had any gripes with the show it would be the rear water screens which tended to just be blurry and almost unrecognizable what was on them. I honestly thought the pacing / length of the show was good and even the finale felt fine to me. With talk that they are still going to be adding to the show I think they have a hit on their hands. As I was watching it I was thinking that this is a perfect ending to a day at AK.
Saw the show tonight and totally agree with this! This is one thing that has to be seen in person to fully appreciate everything happening which cameras cannot capture!

rushtest4echo

There's other nighttime shows, too, in case you wanted to let other people see it.

We saw Illuminations and Wishes this weekend too. ;) But don't worry, we werent occupying normal seats. They were still handing out AP wristbands at 6:30ish when I arrived tonight- though I didn't need one as I had other arrangements. And the theater didnt really fill till 15 minutes prior to showtime anyhow from what I saw. I'm not sure what parts of each area were reserved for who but none of the areas were filled by the initial rush.

As far as the screens- every water/projection screen I've ever seen on any show is superior to these as far as fidelity and clarity (same as Jungle Book)- and I've seen World of Color in the rain on a windy day!!!

Last edited:

Donald96

How is that possible when I've easily been able to make out the images on my 8-inch iPad screen? Guess I'll judge for myself Friday.
Saw the show tonight and honestly preferred these water projections to Fantasmics. They don't fade out at the top like those do. This is coming from someone who was severely disappointed with them during JB:AWM. They felt larger than life, and they were really clear to me. Aside from the half water screen waiting to turn on, and the laser's total refusal tonight's show was amazing! I thought the torch was pretty cooI, and it worked really well tonight. I wonder if people don't know it intentionally has the fire dance? One of my two changes would be making it longer, if Fantasmic can have "slow parts" (i.e. the flower, and water screen only parts) this show should as well, the whole thing feels action packed and I woundn't mind a few peaceful moments in between it all. The other would be the larger lotus. She should have more fountains than 4. It's not fair her babies get more, and the concept art shows her having quite a bit more. FAR surpasses SWAGS or JBJB and I liked it better than Fantasmic. It's probably second on my nighttime spectacular list behind Illuminations ROE.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Screens were turrible all 3 nights, and we had centered seats all 3 nights. I guess you're saying that's as good as it's going to get. Kinda disappointing. Still a blob of color for most of the show.

I saw the show twice this weekend (FRI & SAT) and I didn't find the water projection screens to be terrible at all. They're not trying to present a highly detailed movie on these screens, but more background images setting a mood.

Clamman73

I saw the show twice this weekend (FRI & SAT) and I didn't find the water projection screens to be terrible at all. They're not trying to present a highly detailed movie on these screens, but more background images setting a mood.
How about whether or not you want to sit down towards the bottom of the bleachers vs the top? Can you still get a clear view of the animal barges without a railing in view sitting at the bottom row?

donsullivan

Premium Member
How about whether or not you want to sit down towards the bottom of the bleachers vs the top? Can you still get a clear view of the animal barges without a railing in view sitting at the bottom row?

I sat up high on FRI and down in the lower section on SAT and for me I preferred the down low position but that was primary for photography reasons. The lower section with the concrete seat tops can be a little better for that purpose since they are a little steeper pitch so it's easier to see over the top of the heads of those in the row in front of you. I can't speak for the very front row since I was in the 3rd row and it was great. I'll be back again on Friday and plan to head down to the lower concrete seat section.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The rear screens have fundamental issues that can't be addressed easily.

Unlike Fantasmic the screen comes from the side - two sides. They're much more likely to be affected by the wind. And gravity. Sometimes they'll meet. Sometimes they'll fall short. And sometimes they'll overlap, giving an uneven and thicker water surface in the middle.

In 1988 Illuminations tried screens from the side. Only this time it was a mist spray from the two top corners, spraying across and downwards. Gravity actually helped. They also were for laser, not video, which helped.

Fantasmic, WoC and Dreams! works because the water source is central. Rivers of Light is fighting a much longer lateral throw with a material that's not known to work well with wind and gravity.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom