New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

SorcererMC

I've only seen videos and I'm extremely impressed by it, but it's mostly because I know how difficult it is to create what they have created and that same appreciation may not be shared by a guest who just wants to see some fireworks and doesn't know just how much work went into this.

I had a similar reaction to the video - that the tech is very impressive due to its exceptional difficulty...I also thought it was beautiful but more than anything I don't think that a video will do it justice, because so much of AK is about the ambiance, the natural surroundings and the environment itself. It was also hard to perceive the 'depth' of it at night from a video. Re: fireworks, I'm not sure guests should expect them? because that's not how the show is being described....
This magnetic display culminates in a triumphant blend of song, light, color and earthly elements—a grand finale so divine that you can’t help but feel a sense of peace and oneness with nature.
ETA: I could see where the show might not 'be for everyone', but I do think that 'enough' people will like it.

EvilChameleon

I fear that regardless of all of the hard work and impressive technological achievements this show has, it won't be a success. It seems like the margins of error will remain too high and that even when everything does go according to plan, there isn't enough to really "wow" the visitor.

Well then they'll just keep the stadium seating, remove all the moving parts, and just turn it into a sit-down World Of Color.

FigmentJedi

It just has pixlexia
tumblr_ol8ppjvet81sa3t1go1_1280.jpg

C D Hazel

I will say that no video I have seen so far (even WDWMagic's amazing one) does this show justice. You have to experience it in person. If you still don't like it, fine. But, the videos cannot capture the audio quality, all of the lighting effects, or just the full sensory depth of it. Plus, like the park itself, you have to discover all the little intricacies of the show. I'm thinking you could watch it several times and still catch new items (kind of like a Cirque show).

Personally, I loved it.

I saw it last night (February 10th), and I felt the same way about it. It's very nuanced, and my spouse mentioned some elements of the show I missed, and vice versa.

Disone

I will stop short of saying I loved it, but I did enjoy it very much. It's soul is not unlike that of Epcot's old Tapestry of Nations. They are really very different shows, but they kinda have the same vibe. Like tapestry I feel as though will subsequent viewings I will come to enjoy the show more and more. Also like tapestry I feel as though the finale doesn't quite have enough punch.

But this is one heck of beautiful show. At some parts it's a very high-tech Fantasmic, and other parts there's a little bit of World of Color going on, and from beginning to end, it may have the sprite of Tapestry but it's definitely a show you have not seen before.

Last edited:

Figment82

I saw it last night (February 10th), and I felt the same way about it. It's very nuanced, and my spouse mentioned some elements of the show I missed, and vice versa.

Completely agree! There was one detail from the "Team Water" shaman that I absolutely loved, and the rest of my party didn't even catch it! It's definitely a show where you'll see something new on repeat viewings. I personally loved it. There's room for growth but I thought it was very beautiful.

I'm so glad they were able to get the show reset pretty quickly tonight so we could get a complete viewing. Kudos to the cast and crew!

culturenthrills

Saw it tonight. Thought it is a stunning technological achievement & an amazing beautiful show. From the projections, to the music & the floats. There are not enough words to describe how amazing the show is. Pics & vids don't do it justice. I was not expected to be blown away but i was. But there is definitely room for improvement. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I am a big Cirque fan so I like more abstract things. I really thought the lotus projections were stunning. With this and once Pandora opens it is totally gonna change the park. DAK is really gonna become a full day park and a park that is a must do at night.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
My iPhone background is Rivers of Light, my computer background is Rivers of Light, the soundtrack is blasting when I shower, and I cannot wait to get my hands on one of those shirts!! Such a beautiful show! It was worth the wait :p
You are adorable. (Not sarcastic - I genuinely think your enthusiasm is adorable. I'm sorry you missed it. Time to plan another trip.)

FigmentJedi

Really cant see that happening, Dining packages and fast passes are already booked. Keep in mind technical difficulties are the norm with new shows, take for existance World of Color and IROE, let's also not forget that the current night time shows occasionally have some difficulties, especially Fantasmic.
Yeah, it's clearly capable of being able to run consistently if they've even gotten to this point.

dreamfinder912

I saw it tonight too, and the first time from "Water." I adore the water shaman and I saw her doing some neat tricks back at the cast preview. You see SO MUCH once you focus on the shamans themselves and what they're doing. There's so many little details that even after three shows I'm still seeing it come together. I don't wanna spoil things, so I wont list them here, but the show becomes much more rich and complex the more you notice about it. I'm really quite sad I'll have to get a dining package if I want to have a good seat in that section because it's a completely different show. It isn't like sitting in "warthog" or "lion" at FOTLK, you're entire focus and what you get from it is different (or at least it was to me)

I can't tell what caused the stop, but it was mostly families with small children who bailed out. And in almost all those cases the small children were completely asleep against one of their parents. The cast and crew and everyone really knew what they were doing when it stopped and the crowd had a good time of it while waiting. The delay caused the show to happen during the DHS fireworks and the audio was such that you could hardly notice there were fireworks launching nearby.

FigmentJedi

I saw it tonight too, and the first time from "Water." I adore the water shaman and I saw her doing some neat tricks back at the cast preview. You see SO MUCH once you focus on the shamans themselves and what they're doing. There's so many little details that even after three shows I'm still seeing it come together. I don't wanna spoil things, so I wont list them here, but the show becomes much more rich and complex the more you notice about it. I'm really quite sad I'll have to get a dining package if I want to have a good seat in that section because it's a completely different show. It isn't like sitting in "warthog" or "lion" at FOTLK, you're entire focus and what you get from it is different (or at least it was to me)
It's actually kind of a shame Aseema's stuck on the Dinoland side. She ends up a little out of focus with the Asia side being the more desired seating.

TTA94

It's actually kind of a shame Aseema's stuck on the Dinoland side. She ends up a little out of focus with the Asia side being the more desired seating.

I have yet be on the dinoland side for RoL or Jungle Book. What is the difference? And why does everyone seem to prefer the Asia side? Is it due to the Asia side being better themed?

FigmentJedi

I have yet be on the dinoland side for RoL or Jungle Book. What is the difference? And why does everyone seem to prefer the Asia side? Is it due to the Asia side being better themed?
Better theming and being the Fastpass side, people that really want to be sure they get a spot like people wanting to shoot the show are gonna be flocking there.
Dinoland side's more sparsely themed, with flagpoles holding Aseema's blue flags and banners.

TTA94

@Magic Feather @wdwmagic Have you heard if they are going to continue working on RoL 3rd shift to perfect the show and work on the floating lanterns? Or have they just simply given up and pushed the lanterns to the back burner for now? I know you all have said before we won't be seeing the lanterns for awhile.. but I'm just curious if the attempt is even there to get them added asap?

Disney Analyst

Yeesh everyone is obsessed with the lanterns like they will make the show significantly better. The show is beautiful with or without the lanterns, If you think the lanterns will greatly
change the experience for you, you are
sadly mistaken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom