New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
E8A653E5-8226-43BC-8D5F-214C42F5A2AF_zps8b78wf2b.png

Poor ROL

And I'm supposed to be the cynical one here...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

RSoxNo1

Goofyque'

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that it's a better show than Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular.

This seems to be the cause for so much disagreement. Words like better, and worse. The shows are all different. Just like rides, we all enjoy a wide variety of experiences in different ways. Love Star Wars, Love WoC, looking forward to sitting and watching ROL, whatever and whenever it starts.

Kman101

This show and it's problems is why I sometimes wish I didn't know these boards existed. To live in a bubble of not knowing :/

Why does "wow" have to either equal fireworks or Disney characters? Hasn't Illuminations done just fine without Disney characters?

And to those not the biggest fan of the show, it doesn't make it bad. It means it isn't for you.

RSoxNo1

It depends how much you like projections on a building and fireworks from another park ;)
You forgot about the pew pews.

I really enjoyed A Galactic Spectacular and I recognize that the turnaround time from inception to opening day for that was a lot shorter than Rivers of Light.

If you're saying Rivers of Light is better and Disney is saying it isn't good enough, something doesn't add up to me.

brb1006

This show and it's problems is why I sometimes wish I didn't know these boards existed. To live in a bubble of not knowing :/

Why does "wow" have to either equal fireworks or Disney characters? Hasn't Illuminations done just fine without Disney characters?

And to those not the biggest fan of the show, it doesn't make it bad. It means it isn't for you.
Disney characters were featured for Illuminations at least for it's 30th Anniversary finale on the spinning globe.

Kman101

I'd have little problem if they want to do a screen montage of animal characters that have populated the Disney/Pixar movies, but it would honestly feel so out of place. I'd be fine with say, a Jungle Book montage if it were the live action film, but not the cartoon and I know that sounds silly ... but I'd rather they keep it pure and free like the rest of the park. The live theater shows are a little different and they work for me.

It's why, even though I'd love a Lion King dark ride, I hesitate because I want to keep the park free of cartoons.

TTA94

@ctxak98 , @mnelson3 and others who saw the show during CM previews, I am trying to get my ducks in a row regarding the current RoL section, so quick question.
What color was the tower that rose out of the temple lotus? It may seem like a frivolous question but there is reasoning that I hope to be able to share soon.

I honestly don't remember, silver maybe?

EPCOTCenterLover

Animal Kingdom needs more characters. It would be cool to see characters on the water screens but keep the lotus flowers and lanterns. People just aren't that jazzed by pictures of real animals. Look at those Disney Nature Movies, no one watches those
No, thank you. No more characters in DAK. At least not those from Disney animated films.

GiveMeTheMusic

You forgot about the pew pews.

I really enjoyed A Galactic Spectacular and I recognize that the turnaround time from inception to opening day for that was a lot shorter than Rivers of Light.

If you're saying Rivers of Light is better and Disney is saying it isn't good enough, something doesn't add up to me.

Burbank doesn't care about DHS' fireworks shows.

brb1006

No, thank you. No more characters in DAK. At least not those from Disney animated films.
I think characters from Disney's Tarzan,Bambi, Jungle Book are a perfect fit for DAK since they are the only Disney animated films necessary for the park. Especially since all three of these films have a jungle/forest setting. The rest I have to agree with.

rle4lunch

So, I was at DAK last Friday (45 degrees pretty much all day, with wind to boot). We were all set up for our FP+ rides starting with the safari, then like 3 hours till our next FP then another one about an hour after that. We arrive, walk to safari to find that the fastpass line is 45 minutes long due to an animal laying on the road blocking the tours. We get it, stuff happens. Well we weren't going to wait in a damn FP line for 45 minutes in the cold to see maybe 1-2 animals out, so we scrapped the safari. by now (around 11ish) we're getting hungry. so we finally find a restaurant that doesn't have a 30 minute line to get food (pizzafari) and we eat. now it's around noon. our next FP is at 240pm. Too cold to enjoy the walking trails, animals nowhere to be found, people complaining about the parks being overcrowded, half of our party decide to see the Nemo show to waste time and my wife and I take our toddler to mess around in the boneyard play area. 40 minutes later we're done with that, so now what? get popcorn and drinks with snack credits... wait till the next FP window opens. finally go on Everest. now what? well, we've got an hour before the next FP at dinosaur (probably the most boring all ages ride in all the parks), back to walking around aimlessly. more drink, more listening to people complain about crowds. finally ride dinosaur (whooppity doo Basil), time for dinner at flame tree. what now? park closes in an hour and a half. can't go to MK cause they're doing their Christmas party (which we attended the night before), don't want to go back to DHS (had enough of that the prior day as well)? I guess we'll just stay and use our carte blanche FP's for some other issues we had that morning to ride Everest a couple more times before closing. This ridiculous setup kept us in the park all day, meandering around looking at animals that were hiding from the cold and wind. I imagine all the other people were doing the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, DAK is our second favorite park, but wow, we really feel we got screwed there and at DHS. If the bus wait and transit time wasn't so long we would've probably went back to epcot that night, but by the time 7pm rolled around we were pretty much done with the stupidity for the day.

the highlight(s)? Everest at night is fun (and the cold temps made it more exciting), and the tree of life.

This park needs Dinoland completely redone. It's like they slapped something together and called it a day (you can still see painted parking spots on the ground, comon'!) It's just as bad as MK's old toontown. Dinosaur needs an enema, or Indy overlay. Avatarland needs to hurry up and get running and RoL, well we all know that it needs to start sooner than later.

Summary, if we weren't using military park-hopper's, I would've tried to get a bunch of free stuff from Disney before we left.

ToTBellHop

So, I was at DAK last Friday (45 degrees pretty much all day, with wind to boot). We were all set up for our FP+ rides starting with the safari, then like 3 hours till our next FP then another one about an hour after that. We arrive, walk to safari to find that the fastpass line is 45 minutes long due to an animal laying on the road blocking the tours. We get it, stuff happens. Well we weren't going to wait in a damn FP line for 45 minutes in the cold to see maybe 1-2 animals out, so we scrapped the safari. by now (around 11ish) we're getting hungry. so we finally find a restaurant that doesn't have a 30 minute line to get food (pizzafari) and we eat. now it's around noon. our next FP is at 240pm. Too cold to enjoy the walking trails, animals nowhere to be found, people complaining about the parks being overcrowded, half of our party decide to see the Nemo show to waste time and my wife and I take our toddler to mess around in the boneyard play area. 40 minutes later we're done with that, so now what? get popcorn and drinks with snack credits... wait till the next FP window opens. finally go on Everest. now what? well, we've got an hour before the next FP at dinosaur (probably the most boring all ages ride in all the parks), back to walking around aimlessly. more drink, more listening to people complain about crowds. finally ride dinosaur (whooppity doo Basil), time for dinner at flame tree. what now? park closes in an hour and a half. can't go to MK cause they're doing their Christmas party (which we attended the night before), don't want to go back to DHS (had enough of that the prior day as well)? I guess we'll just stay and use our carte blanche FP's for some other issues we had that morning to ride Everest a couple more times before closing. This ridiculous setup kept us in the park all day, meandering around looking at animals that were hiding from the cold and wind. I imagine all the other people were doing the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, DAK is our second favorite park, but wow, we really feel we got screwed there and at DHS. If the bus wait and transit time wasn't so long we would've probably went back to epcot that night, but by the time 7pm rolled around we were pretty much done with the stupidity for the day.

the highlight(s)? Everest at night is fun (and the cold temps made it more exciting), and the tree of life.

This park needs Dinoland completely redone. It's like they slapped something together and called it a day (you can still see painted parking spots on the ground, comon'!) It's just as bad as MK's old toontown. Dinosaur needs an enema, or Indy overlay. Avatarland needs to hurry up and get running and RoL, well we all know that it needs to start sooner than later.

Summary, if we weren't using military park-hopper's, I would've tried to get a bunch of free stuff from Disney before we left.
Sounds like you need to plan your FPs better. You also had opportunities throughout the day to course correct and chose to be miserable instead. Disney certainly didn't owe you anything for a combination of your own poor planning and their inability to control December weather.

First time I've seen Dinosaur described as a boring, all-ages ride. It's a thrill ride with a height requirement.

Notes from Neverland

The insiders can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the parking lines are by design to mimic the carnival atmosphere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom