New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Jon81uk

I would think there are major concerns about what guests will do that aren't watching the show. If only 5,000 can watch at a time, and it has to start after dark, the 5,000+ hoping to see showing #2 would be: Waiting for rides on Everest, in Dinoland, and ???. Everything else in the park will be closed. I guess you could keep the restaurants open, but who's going to sit at a table if it might make them miss RoL? Nobody wants to ride Kali at that time of the night. There will be tons of people twiddling their thumbs until the gates re-open, and then a mad rush to get a seat. Recipe for disaster...

Safari is still open at dark, there are performers in Harambe and Discovery Island and the projection show on the Tree of Life and the Lion King show has later shows. Plus eating dinner is same as at the other parks, if you know Illuminations is at 9pm you eat dinner at 6pm. Also with Avatar opening next summer that gives several other attractions to ride at night.

lentesta

Premium Member
to check out the drone show to see just how exactly he can cut on millions by replacing fire works with this magical wonder?

I definitely see a role for drones - they have a 3-dimensional precision that you can't get from fireworks. But fireworks' BOOM has a visceral appeal that you're not going to get from drones. I see a mix of them in use. Maybe as different scenes in the same show.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There seems to be a lot of conflicting info being "leaked" out on everything going on with the parks lately. Either it's intentional and done to weed out sources or they really just can't make up their minds on anything these days.

I suspect its a combination of both because we know from multiple insiders that they were hacked off at the fan reaction to the GotG retheme on both coasts so they want to plug the leaks via 'Canary Traps'.

Since the Burbank/Celebration decision making cadre never visits the parks they don't have a clue as to what works so they are constantly hopping from shiny object to shinier object and back again. This is where Eisner wearing fur and dishing up QS made a real difference because absolutely NOTHING beats management by walking around.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I definitely see a role for drones - they have a 3-dimensional precision that you can't get from fireworks. But fireworks' BOOM has a visceral appeal that you're not going to get from drones. I see a mix of them in use. Maybe as different scenes in the same show.
Imagine if drones were used in the current RoE to fill the sky with stars during "space". Assuming noise issues could be worked out.

For example.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

The new Disney
Actually this is exactly the opposite of the criticism people around here usually make about "the new Disney." For years, the doom-and-gloomers have created a caricature of Bob Iger where his response to everything is "too expensive, make cuts." Now, it sounds like Mr. Iger's response to Rivers of Light is "not good enough, make it better."

"Make it better," i.e. "plus it," i.e. this was a very Walt-ish thing for Iger to say. None of that excuses the delays at the project management level, but Iger being unsatisfied and making them upgrade the show is only a good thing.

peter11435

Imagine if drones were used in the current RoE to fill the sky with stars during "space". Assuming noise issues could be worked out.

For example.
Is this an actual possibility. Honestly I think enchancing the current show would be more beneficial than replacing it altogether.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Actually this is exactly the opposite of the criticism people around here usually make about "the new Disney." For years, the doom-and-gloomers have created a caricature of Bob Iger where his response to everything is "too expensive, make cuts." Now, it sounds like Mr. Iger's response to Rivers of Light is "not good enough, make it better."

"Make it better," i.e. "plus it," i.e. this was a very Walt-ish thing for Iger to say. None of that excuses the delays at the project management level, but Iger being unsatisfied and making them upgrade the show is only a good thing.

Depends on if he's really saying "make it better.... but because of all the lost money not having this thing ready back in April lets upcharge guests more and for lots of different things to make up for our poor management flaws"

to be honest... I'm not sure I believe Iger telling them it's not good enough and to make it better unless he's just scared at how BAD they mismanaged this, he knows it needs to be something with major wow responses or they'll get another black eye

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I'd argue that Iger was unhappy with the monetization potential of RoL, i.e. the show did not drive sufficient revenue for it's cost and cost overruns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom