New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

NiarrNDisney

Forgot about that. So based on that I would think they would need to have major construction done by the end of 2015 to give them a couple months for programming and rehersals.

Here is a picture that someone else posted earlier int he thread show a guess as to where the seating areas would be, this seems to be a like scenario. Have both areas close together like that would allow people to be generally facing the same direction. I would think we would see construction wall go up for the seating areas soon.

riversoflightseating-jpg.52732

I have to wonder if the show will be able to be viewed in a 360'? Allowing people to watch from Flametree and along the patch between Nemo and Discovery Island!

ToTBellHop

I have to wonder if the show will be able to be viewed in a 360'? Allowing people to watch from Flametree and along the patch between Nemo and Discovery Island!
Not entirely if the Tree of Life plays a role in the show, as seems to be the case (like the Fun Wheel at DCA during WoC). But how can Disney resist dining packages thru Flame Tree?

NiarrNDisney

Not entirely if the Tree of Life plays a role in the show, as seems to be the case (like the Fun Wheel at DCA during WoC). But how can Disney resist dining packages thru Flame Tree?

I just don't see how they could make enough seating for say 10k people to view from the alleged areas without building a structure that would seriously effect the theme and views of Asia and Everest. Covering Nemo with a facade wouldn't be much of a problem since the building isn't "dressed" to go with any theme so anything at this point to disguise it or help it look more cohesive would be an improvement.

jdmdisney99

I just don't see how they could make enough seating for say 10k people to view from the alleged areas without building a structure that would seriously effect the theme and views of Asia and Everest. Covering Nemo with a facade wouldn't be much of a problem since the building isn't "dressed" to go with any theme so anything at this point to disguise it or help it look more cohesive would be an improvement.
@Rob562 Had a great suggestion earlier in the thread...

I don't know if it was earlier in this conversation or in another one, but I put forward the idea of terraced viewing areas covered with artificial turf. Make them look something like terraced tea fields (which I think was what they were going for in the small area near the bridge between EE and the Nemo theater). The artificial turf won't get worn away by Guests like real grass would, but it would look green and nice the rest of the time.

Basically they'd look like the viewing areas for WoC, but grassy.

If they needed railings between sections and could keep the viewing areas closed during the day, they could install pop-up railings that stayed hidden during the day to keep the view open, but rose up before they opened the area to Guests for the show.

-Rob

jt04

I am guessing 270' with projectors etc on top of Nemo. But just a guess. It will certainly need a lot of seating.

ABQ

So is the nearly two years before an opening schedule just to drag out the construction and development expense similar to SDMT or is it because it should be something awesome? Or is my question dumb as confirmation of budget cuts above sort of implies it won't be awesome and they're just dragging it out to diminish the quarterly impact on the financials?

Cmdr_Crimson

I Don't know...But, I doubt that many guests that cough up the extra money want to see the backside of water. Not to mention where said mist of water sprays as it's getting shot out into the mist screens..etc..

RayTheFirefly

Forgot about that. So based on that I would think they would need to have major construction done by the end of 2015 to give them a couple months for programming and rehersals.

Here is a picture that someone else posted earlier int he thread show a guess as to where the seating areas would be, this seems to be a like scenario. Have both areas close together like that would allow people to be generally facing the same direction. I would think we would see construction wall go up for the seating areas soon.

riversoflightseating-jpg.52732
I just hope they don't get rid of too many trees to build this. My favorite part of Animal Kingdom is how lush it is.

ToTBellHop

I Don't know...But, I doubt that many guests that cough up the extra money want to see the backside of water. Not to mention where said mist of water sprays as it's getting shot out into the mist screens..etc..
Folks pay $99/day to see the back side of water at the MK! Surely, they will pay $59 to eat zebra domes with a premium reverse view of Rivers of Light.

Last edited:

MarkTwain

"Should" being the operative word.

This SHOULD have been an in the round, nature lead east coast WoC. Perfect location.

Has the quality of the show been significantly compromised already?

Budget cuts are often a given, but the result can still be a quality attraction if using the remaining budget is done well (7DMT). I'm hoping RoL can still be a quality addition for Animal Kingdom.

ABQ

Has the quality of the show been significantly compromised already?

Budget cuts are often a given, but the result can still be a quality attraction if using the remaining budget is done well (7DMT). I'm hoping RoL can still be a quality addition for Animal Kingdom.
More importantly, or equally important/intriguing, what was simply never approved but on the drawing board vs what was approved and has now been cut. I would hope, by now, that show designers ask for the moon knowing they'll never get it, but at least will get something useful to work with and then develop a great show within that approved budget. If that's what initially took place and has now been slashed, I'll be disappointed. Nothing's been leaked on this, just the released concept art, right?

rioriz

Does anyone else miss the days when the "insiders" didn't always come and rain on the parade with news of budgetary cuts and changes from the original concept?

No offense to Martin at all but I think we all "get it" now as far as WDW business outlook and don't need constant reminding. Rivers of Light will still probably end up being a very good show and I hate to muddle up the next couple years discussing the what could have been. Those things are fun to know years down the line after an attraction debuted. We would be able to judge the attraction for what is in front of us first and then gain perspective if former plans were leaked. By this current format we end up judging the attraction years before it opens and it is a clouded one. I would much prefer the "insiders" to clue us on what is coming and not focus so much on what could've been. Again I think most of us get it by now.

Off soapbox... ; )

doctornick

I agree with @rioriz -- I'm more concerned about what is coming than what might have been cut. Everything that gets built is going to have scrutiny by the higher ups who are going to cut budgets when they can. It's the nature of the beast.

That said....

"Should" being the operative word.

This SHOULD have been an in the round, nature lead east coast WoC. Perfect location.

Maybe I'm missing something, but WoC isn't an "in the round" show, is it? Don't they shut down most of Paradise Pier for the show and have all of the viewing areas on the one side of the lagoon? I've envisioned Rivers of Light to be somewhat similar by having a viewing area at Asia (and Dinoland apparently) that faces one direction with a lit Tree of Light being part of the backdrop (much like the Fun Wheel is a backdrop for WoC).

Aren't there going to be projections on water screens for this show? Wouldn't they by nature face a specific direction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom