New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Minnie Mum

And that was what I was afraid of. Darney darn darn. :cry:

It's the uncertainty that's aggravating me. We planned this Nov. trip (booked way back in March) based on the ridiculous assumption that ROL would be running with all the kinks worked out, and the park would be open late every night. Now? No idea what's going to be happening, or even if we should bother keeping our TH dinner ADR. I really wish they wouldn't keep everybody hanging like this.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Heck imagine what the 6.9 Billion they spent THIS YEAR ALONE on stock buybacks would have built attraction wise!!!

Here is why I do not see buying back stock as negative as you do. With new construction also must come additional maintenance to keep the rides operating. Investing in rides increases operating cost that can be off set with a reduction in stock dividends paid out by reducing the number of shares on the market.

Disney730

It's the uncertainty that's aggravating me. We planned this Nov. trip (booked way back in March) based on the ridiculous assumption that ROL would be running with all the kinks worked out, and the park would be open late every night. Now? No idea what's going to be happening, or even if we should bother keeping our TH dinner ADR. I really wish they wouldn't keep everybody hanging like this.

I completely understand your frustration. I'm in the same boat with a mid-November trip and I'm pulling my hair our over stupid ADRs conflicting with shows that may not even occur! :banghead:

prfctlyximprct

In the same boat as you. Going the first week of November and have switched my ADRs a million times around in hopes that ROL and the Star Wars fireworks will be happening. I'm about to start hoarding ADRs but they leave me no choice!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here is why I do not see buying back stock as negative as you do. With new construction also must come additional maintenance to keep the rides operating. Investing in rides increases operating cost that can be off set with a reduction in stock dividends paid out by reducing the number of shares on the market.

I'm not opposed to stock compensation a chunk of my compensation is in the form of stock options and grants, but to your point Disney could pay a decade's worth of dividends to shareholders with this years buybacks alone,

Since Disney has been a public company they have always repurchased shares but under Iger the MAJORITY of the company's cash has gone into stock repurchases. It makes Disney a fundamentally WEAK company as they have no cash for a rainy day. All Disney is doing is turning cash into paper assets (treasury shares) the value of which can be wiped out in a days trading. Comcast is turning cash into physical assets and buying businesses.

The problem with the buybacks is that they are so large in scale they materially inflate senior management's compensation package and serve to artificially inflate Disney's Earnings per share and THAT's the part that I object to as with these buybacks it's hard to evaluate the health of the underlying businesses. Disney would have been smarter to hoard cash as then they would have been in the position to pick up assets cheap when the market went down.

The other problem with buybacks this huge is when something goes wrong the company has already gone off the cliff and hangs there like Wile E Coyote before the average investor even gets a whiff of something being wrong.

TTA94

Did they start to encounter more issues that's pushing it further out? It sounded like they were nearing completion?

KYWDW

If someone sells a timeshare, it in fact doesn't lose business. It's a 1 for 1 change. Just the facts there. One could speculate that that person would have bought the timeshare anyways, but that is just speculation. The fact is that the timeshare just changed hands from one person to another.
I agree and just meant in the aspect of food/tickets/merchandise will cease to be bought. No longer are they a repeat customer. Thus Disney losing business.

Capsin4

With a yield somewhere around 1.6%, that seems like a horrid strategy. Roughly, buying a share for $90something to eliminate a 70 something cent dividend would be akin to prepaying for 60 years of maintenance. Buybacks are almost always to improve metrics or are the best use of capital...they think spending billions manipulating metrics provides more shareholder value than spending those billions on attractions.

HauntedMansionFLA

With a yield somewhere around 1.6%, that seems like a horrid strategy. Roughly, buying a share for $90something to eliminate a 70 something cent dividend would be akin to prepaying for 60 years of maintenance. Buybacks are almost always to improve metrics or are the best use of capital...they think spending billions manipulating metrics provides more shareholder value than spending those billions on attractions.
And what does this have to do with Rivers Of Light?

HauntedMansionFLA

image.jpg
I don't know. Do you think ROL will have maintenance costs? That might be too much of a stretch for the you and the other post police so I'll go with "nothing". And care not a bit.
Yes, of course there are maintenance cost. Do I wish they would have invested in the US parks the past couple of years? Of course. But The Walt Disney Company is a business and if buy backs puts the company in better financial standing - then Iger and the board of directors have to do what's best of the company and their shareholders (the people the answer too). I can't imagine what it cost to run just a small part of the company like WDW but there is so much more than the WDW resort in Florida. Look at all of the different divisions I posted above.

Now, back to River of Light. I hope they get it up and running by the first of November.

JohnD

In the same boat as you. Going the first week of November and have switched my ADRs a million times around in hopes that ROL and the Star Wars fireworks will be happening. I'm about to start hoarding ADRs but they leave me no choice!

Same as you. Although I just booked a quick Labor Day weekend trip to see MSEP. Will watch SW fireworks while there. Will miss JB. Darn. But hope ROL is running during my trip 10/29-11/4. Fingers crossed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom