New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

TTA94

With the JB barges and stages I don't see how they could be testing RoL. So probably testing will resume after September 5th lol.

Ralphlaw

Here's the thing: Disney has been successfully doing big time water, projection and effects shows for decades. I've seen Illuminations, World of Color and Fantasmic. The amazing projection shows on the castles are also becoming commonplace. Heck, even the electric water parade has some complexity. In good fashion, they are apparently trying to take it to the next level with Rivers Of Light. Yippee!

But, oh darn, there's been a hiccup that requires (a) fixing, and/or (b) a redo. Either way, this sort of thing happens when envelopes are being pushed. The only true disappointment that may come from this is either a total scrapping of the show or a dumbing down of the show to the point of being mediocre. Delays for good reasons are fine by me. Delays due to organizational inertia or that result in mediocrity are the sign of something far more insidious. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, and hopefully it will also be amazing.

JohnD

You're right, I read it as though he wants the park to close at 8 or 9 rather than 10 or 11. But I see, he wants it to stay open to a reasonable time rather than closing early like it used to. So I de-quoted him. Thank you.

There are others who have expressed the opinion that it should close earlier, so I'll leave the question for them.

Yeah. In the fall, I'm not expecting an 11pm closure. (Would be nice but not likely). So something comparable to other parks in the fall like 8 or 9 would be more reasonable. I figured that, with November 6 forward in standard time, it would get dark about 5:30 or so. That's 3-4 hours open after dark. Put another way, during the summer it gets dark about 8:30. An 11pm closure is also 3-4 hours after dark. In fact, that would be consistent for the animals as they only live by sunrise-sunset not daylight savings or standard time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
2) Random thought - I do home improvement projects and have, on occasion, built novel scientific instrumentation over the years. Sometimes a bad problem like, "serious incident during testing", can really help elucidate a problem and actually speed troubleshooting.
I don't have any figures for you, and I agree with your point, but this incident caused a schedule setback, extra expense and then the questions were asked "how" and "how do we prevent it again". And that opened a can of worms.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I don't have any figures for you, and I agree with your point, but this incident caused a schedule setback, extra expense and then the questions were asked "how" and "how do we prevent it again". And that opened a can of worms.

I wonder what the serious incident was. Was someone injured, or what a boat/showpiece damaged badly?

TTA94

Sigh...they've been tested all summer.

Clueless people shouldn't start rumors. They become WDW NT exclusive stories 24 hrs later.

Not testing like they were before JB opened which was round the clock :). Who knows but had they continued to do that maybe RoL would have been open by now.

I personally enjoyed watching them test the RoL floats. Rather see that than those ugly tacky JB barges stuck out there.

halltd

A--it is now 20 months from its announcement and it is not done.
B--they started work on it well before Oct. 2013. They didn't decide to make a new show and announce it the same day.
C--I said 3 years to build a new ride. This isn't a ride.
Yeah you meant Frozen, which also didn't take 3 years. I wasn't talking about RoL.

Cesar R M

poor project management
poor planning
poor oversight

#thenewdisney
"but..but.. Muh stock prices!"

disneyisbusiness_monstersinnc.jpg

Cesar R M

Also, regarding the issues.
I'm now wondering if the guidance problem is not the issue, but the boat engines.
Imagine them getting ordered by the gps to keep firing to keep in position and thus ending with no power left mid show and they end floating a drift and hitting other barges.

TTA94

Through all this I hope nothing ends up being cut... :-/

Any guesses if that fog effect will still happen? Think there was supposed to be some sort of fire effect as well.

mergatroid

Martin, is it true they can't test when they close at 11pm as we've been told?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom