New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

majortom1981

Also, regarding the issues.
I'm now wondering if the guidance problem is not the issue, but the boat engines.
Imagine them getting ordered by the gps to keep firing to keep in position and thus ending with no power left mid show and they end floating a drift and hitting other barges.

It still could be gps related. Gps can get pretty bad if you need to pin point something really close. You can use pokemon go as a soruce. Make your phone only use gps and not wifi also. Some phones when on this will have your player walk around in kinda like a circle.

I would think if you need it to guide boats for a show and they need pinpoint accuracy it might be kinda hard. Maybe they need a wifi network or something else to help it. The problem would be how to keep it up with everybody that has cell phone with wifi enabled also.

cspencer96

It still could be gps related. Gps can get pretty bad if you need to pin point something really close. You can use pokemon go as a soruce. Make your phone only use gps and not wifi also. Some phones when on this will have your player walk around in kinda like a circle.

I would think if you need it to guide boats for a show and they need pinpoint accuracy it might be kinda hard. Maybe they need a wifi network or something else to help it. The problem would be how to keep it up with everybody that has cell phone with wifi enabled also.
Industrial GPS for guidance systems can be accurate down to just a few inches. I can assure you, this is not the same type of GPS receiver used in your phone. However, triangulation from an in-park guidance system using radio frequency could be an option to supplement the GPS system (or replace it if need be).

Crazydisneyfanluke

I am guessing that the problems with ROL are so bad that they are going to shut down the whole park.
They are paying Comcast to take AK right? or was it Seaworld?
FEk6h.gif

Biff215

It's kind of silly for everyone to be jumping to conclusions about things we have no idea about. We will find out everything when we find it out.
I doubt Disney will ever tell us what is causing the delay, but our insiders might learn more as time goes on. But I agree that it's silly to jump to conclusions when we have so little information. I'm sure Disney would like to provide an update but that's got to be tough when you likely don't have anything positive to report. I think they'll learn from their earlier mistake in announcing a start date prematurely. This thing will likely be as close to perfect as possible when they finally launch it.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Even though show control and industrial automation (and I have done a bit of both) have technological similarities they are designed for two very different industries. I doubt you will find a theatrical show control system that can interface to a GPS navigation system, or an industrial control system that can coordinate music and video.

Frozen at the Hyperion uses moving set pieces (doors, ice palace stairs, coronation platform, video wall, etc.) using some type of relative spatial navigation (I assume related to the trackless ride system) with positive human enabling. In other words, the self-navigating scenic pieces can move when one or more necessary enabling buttons are pressed by human operators, allowing the set pieces to respond to the command embedded in the SMPTE code, which also controls music and lighting cues, similar to the Map wagons in Mickey and the Magical Map which are on a physical track.

For example, in Magical Map's Finale, Tiana's riverboat set starts moving forward on its track before the two Map wagons are opened enough at the downstage end for it to safely pass. That's why even after the Map wagons have stopped moving, Mickey and the backstage personnel can't move to finish Mickey's quick change until the Stagehand confirms that Tiana's boat has stopped because there is still the theoretical possibility that it could crash into one or both Map wagons if they have stopped prematurely. The backstage technicians don't tell the set pieces when to move forward, they only push their enable buttons so that the SMPTE command can start them moving. The techs can only STOP the motion.

Frozen takes this a step further by adding trackless motion, but still cued by SMPTE. My rebel spies tell me that they are still having difficulties with the moving set pieces, among many technology-related issues. Remember, in rehearsals they crashed the staircase into the video wall.

IMO, the additional level of complexity comes not only from linking a navigation system to SMPTE, but from the additional complexities of moving floating set pieces and holding on station not only in a trackless environment, but also in an outdoor body of water with wind and water variables.I don't know if there are human performers moving/dancing on the barges or if there are fountains active during this motion, but I would think that they could increase the complexity even further.

IOW, if they are still having technical problems with Frozen indoors and on dry land, how much worse can it be for ROL.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Frozen at the Hyperion uses moving set pieces (doors, ice palace stairs, coronation platform, video wall, etc.) using some type of relative spatial navigation (I assume related to the trackless ride system) with positive human enabling. In other words, the self-navigating scenic pieces can move when one or more necessary enabling buttons are pressed by human operators, allowing the set pieces to respond to the command embedded in the SMPTE code, which also controls music and lighting cues, similar to the Map wagons in Mickey and the Magical Map which are on a physical track..

Are you talking about the Frozen show at Disneyland? I don't see any free moving set pieces in that show. The doors fly in, and the ice palace stairs and coronation platform both come straight downstage and appear to be on a track in the floor.

Old Mouseketeer

Are you talking about the Frozen show at Disneyland? I don't see any free moving set pieces in that show. The doors fly in, and the ice palace stairs and coronation platform both come straight downstage and appear to be on a track in the floor.

Well, I can reach out to my rebel spies for confirmation, but this is what I've been hearing since just before opening. Let us hope that the Force wills it that no Bothan spies are injured or killed.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
We are headed to the World 9/7 - 9/17. I've given up on a full-fledged AK-evening. I can't get a Jungle Book FP, and I've heard the nighttime Safari is meh.

I've dedicated the morning of 9/11 to be a sleep in/putter around the resort day, lunch at Pepper Market, go for a swim, and then arrive at AK for 3:00.

My FastPasses are booked. We'll ride a few rides, walk a few trails, buy a few trinkets, catch a glimpse of the Tree Awakening, and then go to DS to enjoy dinner at Frontera Cocina.

I was disappointed, but now I'm good with it. From all accounts, the Tree Awakening is the best part, and all else can wait until our 2017 trip.

halltd

If you've never done an evening safari, it's worth doing with a short line (or FP). It may not be as awesome as the daytime safari, but it is different, and you can still see some pretty cool animals. It's a much slower/intimate safari than the daytime one. So, I'd definitely recommend experiencing it at least once and making up your own mind. I'd do the same with Jungle Book. Swing by and try to get a standby seat if there aren't FPs. You never know, you might enjoy it.

KikoKea

So just checked and the current closing times for AK is 8pm during the first half of September, and then 7:30pm from the 17th through October. This makes the closing time at more or less sunset, and a good half an hour before it'll be dark enough for any of the nighttime offerings. A great shame for me as I'll be at WDW from Sep 26 - Oct 4. I'd planned the trip dates based almost entirely around seeing RoL, and also the fact that over in MK the BTMRR rehab should've completed (before it was delayed)... Oh well, you win some, you lose some...
We'll be there about the same time as you- 27th-2nd, and will do our usual morning at AK before hopping to another park and not roll the dice with ROL/AK hours. We do plan another trip within a few months, so if they get the show going, we might make the effort to see it then. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy other parks- mainly MK and Epcot. I hope you enjoy your trip!

LL2WDW

We are headed to the World 9/7 - 9/17. I've given up on a full-fledged AK-evening. I can't get a Jungle Book FP, and I've heard the nighttime Safari is meh.

I've dedicated the morning of 9/11 to be a sleep in/putter around the resort day, lunch at Pepper Market, go for a swim, and then arrive at AK for 3:00.

My FastPasses are booked. We'll ride a few rides, walk a few trails, buy a few trinkets, catch a glimpse of the Tree Awakening, and then go to DS to enjoy dinner at Frontera Cocina.

I was disappointed, but now I'm good with it. From all accounts, the Tree Awakening is the best part, and all else can wait until our 2017 trip.

I do urge you to reconsider. I went to AK last Sunday night for the first time and I have to say, it was one of the best Disney experiences I've had in a long time.

I had no real plans, other than to just experience the night. Got there at 8, bought a beer and watched the Carnivale show. It was high energy and a lot of fun. Costumes were great. Walked through Asia as jungle book was starting. Didn't watch, but enjoyed the music. Went back to see the Tree Awakening, which live up to the hype. Do yourself a favor and just hang out in that area for a good 20 minutes so you see a few shows.

Walked back to Africa, bought another beer and watched the band play and dance. I didn't go on any rides, but the lines were non-existent. Honestly, it felt a bit like being at a private party!

Tip: stand on the Africa bridge at 9:30 and watch the Studios fireworks over Everest. Very cool!

AK at night is special. Yes, I sound like I'm on pixie dust, but hey, that night did it for me.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I do urge you to reconsider. I went to AK last Sunday night for the first time and I have to say, it was one of the best Disney experiences I've had in a long time.

I had no real plans, other than to just experience the night. Got there at 8, bought a beer and watched the Carnivale show. It was high energy and a lot of fun. Costumes were great. Walked through Asia as jungle book was starting. Didn't watch, but enjoyed the music. Went back to see the Tree Awakening, which live up to the hype. Do yourself a favor and just hang out in that area for a good 20 minutes so you see a few shows.

Walked back to Africa, bought another beer and watched the band play and dance. I didn't go on any rides, but the lines were non-existent. Honestly, it felt a bit like being at a private party!

Tip: stand on the Africa bridge at 9:30 and watch the Studios fireworks over Everest. Very cool!

AK at night is special. Yes, I sound like I'm on pixie dust, but hey, that night did it for me.
AK closes at 8:00 on 9/11. We will stay there until about 7:45. I'm looking forward to seeing the Tree Awaken.

RoL does not sound like it will be ready until late fall. It will have to wait until next trip for us. :(

I'm glad you had a nice evening. That's what we had in mind too. Doesn't look like it's in the cards for us this year.

Disney Analyst

It was my understanding that the track is only used for the Centre door and Coronation Platform. The Stairs are remote controlled or autonomous. The stairs come far forward of where the track ends during Let It Go, as well the turntable isn't what spins the stairs, it is the platform itself the stairs are attached to. It could not do that spin if attached to a track. The sled is also Autonomous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom