New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

flynnibus

Premium Member
Problems could be either location tracking or the actual piloting system. Controlling your position on the water is difficult... Doing it synchronized in time... Even more difficult. It's a complex timeline to produce to allow for the slack needed for boats to compensate for runtime conditions... Yet still keep the show on time.

Everything is way harder when you are free moving on the water.

Wonder what the actual propulsion system on the barges are. Hopefully some sort of controllable jets

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Problems could be either location tracking or the actual piloting system. Controlling your position on the water is difficult... Doing it synchronized in time... Even more difficult. It's a complex timeline to produce to allow for the slack needed for boats to compensate for runtime conditions... Yet still keep the show on time.

Everything is way harder when you are free moving on the water.

Wonder what the actual propulsion system on the barges are. Hopefully some sort of controllable jets
Actually Disney planned for these factors, they're planning to only run the show when temp between 70-72 degrees and winds speed <2mph! :)

Whatever the hold up, I agree that this tech on the water is very complicated. It is difficult even on dry ground.

GymLeaderPhil

Right. That's what I meant about an underwater rail. Not a track, like what is being used in Rivers of America, but a continuous piece of metal or PVC that runs the length of the show floor and has magnets either on it or in it. It could be a single rail or even a grid of squares/triangles. An underwater guidance system that, due to its size, would not be able to be displaced by a 'canal cleaner' or anything else.
Not to say this can't be done, but Disney tried this in the 70s with the Swan Boats on the Castle's concrete moat. First attraction to close since they never stayed on route.

Modern trackless attractions are always in constant communication with the ride control systems. They are pinging the location of each vehicle in relation to others and the show elements. The relation of the vehicle to the floor is very close and in small, contained areas.

Having a guidance system under the "natural" body of water in the lagoon at Animal Kingdom, with vehicles of various sizes, live performers, and other specifically timed effects would be complex.

Kman101

Is it that the floats are meant to sort of move around the water and get into place so when they're moving the waves of the water are throwing them off track? I think this was brought up before but this is a very long thread ...

rreading

WOC is a beautiful show in person and really does hold its own as a nighttime show. It's biggest downfall, however, is the fact there is no storyline. It is just movie clips displayed on water screens. Great show but no story, which is what makes shows like Illuminations what they are.

Not to distract from the thread but the 60th WOC has a story though: it takes the handoff from the 50th fireworks (RDCT) in which they celebrate Walt. While some don't like it, we thought it was great. We were glad though that my dad had a seat - between the waiting and the show, it seemed to go on and on (not that that was a bad thing).

FigmentForver96

Not to distract from the thread but the 60th WOC has a story though: it takes the handoff from the 50th fireworks (RDCT) in which they celebrate Walt. While some don't like it, we thought it was great. We were glad though that my dad had a seat - between the waiting and the show, it seemed to go on and on (not that that was a bad thing).
Some of the segments were good but it became a big comeracial for the bigger properties like Star Wars and Frozen. (I'm sorry it did not need the entire let it go srgment). Sadly it's a very recent example of what happens when a good idea is hacked apart to showcase the NOW.

rreading

Some of the segments were good but it became a big comeracial for the bigger properties like Star Wars and Frozen. (I'm sorry it did not need the entire let it go srgment). Sadly it's a very recent example of what happens when a good idea is hacked apart to showcase the NOW.

Not to quibble, but does Frozen (or Star Wars) really need advertising?

I think the argument with it (and I agree to some extent) was that it was too much. But for the 3-10 year olds in attendance, it was their favorite part. But did it make it too long? Maybe so. Distract from the ideal production? Perhaps. But still a quality show, if hard on the feet.

FigmentForver96

Not to quibble, but does Frozen (or Star Wars) really need advertising?

I think the argument with it (and I agree to some extent) was that it was too much. But for the 3-10 year olds in attendance, it was their favorite part. But did it make it too long? Maybe so. Distract from the ideal production? Perhaps. But still a quality show, if hard on the feet.
I don't think so but apparently someone did or they would not have added an entire frozen scene...randomly and Star Wars seven clips ....randomly.

I also hope they did not do ANYTHING to please the small children crowd. They should not pander to them alone. Some of the best nighttime entertainment was created without using any sort of component aimed at children.... a great example being illuminations.

Wikkler

I don't think so but apparently someone did or they would not have added an entire frozen scene...randomly and Star Wars seven clips ....randomly.

I also hope they did not do ANYTHING to please the small children crowd. They should not pander to them alone. Some of the best nighttime entertainment was created without using any sort of component aimed at children.... a great example being illuminations.
Children under five cannot differentiate between advertising and content. Children under eight don't yet understand that commercials are to persuade the viewer to buy instead of being another form of entertainment.

No Name

I wonder if they are bringing a parade back to DAK? It would be nice to have the Jammin' Jungle Parade return.

Doesn't at all sound like the parade is returning. Which is a shame. The parade going away is the only thing I am upset about happening at Animal Kingdom since Avatar was announced. I get that Avatar blocked the parade route but they could've adjusted...

The only park that really has a parade now is MK (has two), which is pretty sad considering that every park but Epcot had a parade in 2013 and before. This is really the first time in WDW history that parks have gone paradeless for so long.

DHS is really getting very thin. Look at the wonders that a parade would do. Guest satisfaction... well, they'd maybe be satisfied! But no, some stupidity led them to get rid of Block Party Bash (excellent parade) in 2011 and replace it with something mediocre, and then get rid of that something mediocre and not replace it.

Guests love parades. I wonder if they still have the floats for either Block Party Bash or Mickey's Jammin' Jungle stored anywhere.

prfctlyximprct

Doesn't at all sound like the parade is returning. Which is a shame. The parade going away is the only thing I am upset about happening at Animal Kingdom since Avatar was announced. I get that Avatar blocked the parade route but they could've adjusted...

The only park that really has a parade now is MK (has two), which is pretty sad considering that every park but Epcot had a parade in 2013 and before. This is really the first time in WDW history that parks have gone paradeless for so long.

DHS is really getting very thin. Look at the wonders that a parade would do. Guest satisfaction... well, they'd maybe be satisfied! But no, some stupidity led them to get rid of Block Party Bash (excellent parade) in 2011 and replace it with something mediocre, and then get rid of that something mediocre and not replace it.

Guests love parades. I wonder if they still have the floats for either Block Party Bash or Mickey's Jammin' Jungle stored anywhere.

Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade is the absolute best parade that ever has and ever will exist. Jammin' in the Jungle!!!

brb1006

I still remember visiting WDW in 2004 and 2006 back when all 4 parks hard there own parades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom