New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

hpyhnt 1000

Its really amazing how easily people confuse announcements from Disney, a new show is announced in place of Rivers of Light until its operational and everyone sees it as Rivers of Light has been canceled and the Jungle Book is its replacement.

Given that some people think Magic Kingdom=Disney World, or go up to a Disney CM and ask "where is Harry Potter," or ask when the 3 PM parade begins, I'm not surprised at all.

I know this delay is unexpected, but Disney is also making a right mess of this whole AK Nights stuff. Can't blame people for being a bit confused at what's going on.

jrhwdw

What can you do. It's completely and totally expected from them these days.
NOT when it to comes to AK Hours! We knew it was all included. They never said it was an up charge. Granted the hours took too long to get out which made people wonder.

HOPEFULLY AK will use the time wisely between now and memorial weekend to get ROL to a point to just do run throughs since they won't have much over night hours when AK closes at 11PM. This NEEDS to get done RIGHT and ASAP! The Jungle Book is some good news. It gets the equipment working and doesn't hold back the rest of DAK.

Now, for an interesting question. Does AK or whoever have enough money to get ROL done and show ready? I'm beginning to wonder!

Amused to Death

Given that some people...ask when the 3 PM parade begins

Let me go on record as saying that this is a legitimate question. And the answer depends entirely on where you happen to be standing. If the parade starts in Town Square at 3:00 PM, but you happen to be standing in Frontierland, I guarantee that the parade will NOT have started for YOU. :D

TTA94

I have to say I'm impressed with the fountains on the lotus barges. I really wasn't expecting them to have that much movement and be that cool!
Now I can't wait to see what the large lotus can do!

insaneshadow

Given that some people think Magic Kingdom=Disney World, or go up to a Disney CM and ask "where is Harry Potter," or ask when the 3 PM parade begins, I'm not surprised at all.

I know this delay is unexpected, but Disney is also making a right mess of this whole AK Nights stuff. Can't blame people for being a bit confused at what's going on.

Wait, what? People don't really... You know what? That sounds believable, especially the 3 P.M. parade part. We've all had moments where common sense just leaves us to have a lunch break.

FigmentJedi

tumblr_o5ystjt5Tv1sa3t1go1_540.jpg

When the guidance systems for these barges work just right, these rivers alight.

Brian Swan

It was brilliant putting the fountains on floats instead of under the water. I bet they wish they had thought of that before World of Color. Where they went wrong was with the GPS tech. The Electrical Water Pageant has been running since forever without GPS.
The amount of equipment, including the massive pneumatic tanks for the water cannons could not function on a float smaller than a Naval vessel. The ELP is a series of barges pulled by a boat that is piloted by a real person.

Brian Swan

Yeah but I mean come on, those fountains are a joke compared to WoC lol, they're more of an accent than a main show element. They did a great job of achieving the big dramatic look of WoC's fountains without having to drain and dig up the whole lake.

Obviously it wouldn't be exactly the same as the current version but I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel for these kinds of things. People just want an exciting show. You can do that without having a complicated (probably expensive, maybe unreliable) whole new system, especially when the effect isn't so different from other nighttime shows they've done. Like the DisneySea lagoon, they've done really incredible stuff there so they can do it. I just think sometimes they spend a lot of money and the money doesn't end up on the stage. A float that doesn't need a driver is neat but it's subtle and you could probably achieve a similar affect with one, and you probably wouldn't have to delay the show. Similarly, having a wrist band instead of a ticket is neat (I guess) but I would rather have a new ride, that's something I can actually see and experience.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though, maybe those flowers will move and dance like we've never seen before.
Really?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1uLJD77eUf4/SmNQ6cRpSLI/AAAAAAAANtk/jNGslwYduNc/s1600-h/world+of+color.jpg

Cesar R M

Its really amazing how easily people confuse announcements from Disney, a new show is announced in place of Rivers of Light until its operational and everyone sees it as Rivers of Light has been canceled and the Jungle Book is its replacement.
Well, people sometimes see from experience and compare..

note2001

Yeah but I mean come on, those fountains are a joke compared to WoC lol, they're more of an accent than a main show element. They did a great job of achieving the big dramatic look of WoC's fountains without having to drain and dig up the whole lake.
<snip>

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though, maybe those flowers will move and dance like we've never seen before.

I'm sure they will amaze.

I'm fascinated by the goal Disney has here: they have been redefining what water shows are and where they can be performed. The ultimate goal seems to be to create a system that can work on any large, still, body of water around the globe and only have to program in coordinates. This makes sense as they could then build similar systems and bring them to other parks for special occasions or more permanent shows. I still believe they can do it, but the technology is evolving.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Wait, what? People don't really... You know what? That sounds believable, especially the 3 P.M. parade part. We've all had moments where common sense just leaves us to have a lunch break.
It depends, as others said.. the parade moves.. it might go out at 3:00, but it wont reach you until later.
Kinda reminds me that when I was there in feb. It was raining.. and the parade was going on at 2:45pm by liberty square.
the next day.. it was 3:30 and it was barely reaching the castle.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm sure they will amaze.

I'm fascinated by the goal Disney has here: they have been redefining what water shows are and where they can be performed. The ultimate goal seems to be to create a system that can work on any large, still, body of water around the globe and only have to program in coordinates. This makes sense as they could then build similar systems and bring them to other parks for special occasions or more permanent shows. I still believe they can do it, but the technology is evolving.

But like Bullwinkle pulling a rabbit out of his hat some tricks NEVER work, GPS in a high multipath environment is one of them, GPS works by solving the three body problem by using signals transmitted with precise time reference and using the time of arrival of each signal as a term in the equation when the signal bounces off reflective (to radio) surfaces that calculation is thrown off because it now takes longer to reach the receiver and a different position is calculated.

note2001

But like Bullwinkle pulling a rabbit out of his hat some tricks NEVER work, GPS in a high multipath environment is one of them, GPS works by solving the three body problem by using signals transmitted with precise time reference and using the time of arrival of each signal as a term in the equation when the signal bounces off reflective (to radio) surfaces that calculation is thrown off because it now takes longer to reach the receiver and a different position is calculated.

I agree entirely. The non-military applications of GPS fall far short of what is needed here, which is why they have to redefine how this system works. They need localized antenna. To make it portable to other locations, they could even devise a centralized antenna system on a float anchored in the center. There are many different approaches to achieve the same end result, but each requires it's own design & development process. (As for military - I only put that in here as I'm sure there are folk out there laughing at Disney right now as they've already gone through these growing pains, most likely to have ditched the GPS idea for now.)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree entirely. The non-military applications of GPS fall far short of what is needed here, which is why they have to redefine how this system works. They need localized antenna. To make it portable to other locations, they could even devise a centralized antenna system on a float anchored in the center. There are many different approaches to achieve the same end result, but each requires it's own design & development process. (As for military - I only put that in here as I'm sure there are folk out there laughing at Disney right now as they've already gone through these growing pains, most likely to have ditched the GPS idea for now.)

That's the reason I suggested an inertial system they are cheap and easy to use especially since the area is already precisely surveyed. LIDAR would also work but would be computationally challenging and any changes to landmarks would require a new 3D map.

Yes the military version of GPS has multiple frequencies which allow the receiver to manage the multipath environment but Civillian GPS only uses the L1 frequency which carries the C/A signal which is the Coarse Acquisition signal which is used to download the almanac which tells the receiver what birds are in view at any point in time. For the pedantic there are additional civillian GPS signals coming online but virtually no receivers use them except for specialized survey receivers.

dhslxop

Disney Auditions published this today on social media: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyAudi...115713456705/1161734550528145/?type=3&theater

http://disneyauditions.com/audition-calendar/?aud_id=7692&cid=12508
Disney Creative Entertainment is seeking diverse, energetic male parade performers between the heights of 5'4" - 6'1", to help bring to life roles in our parades and shows across the Walt Disney World® Resort near Orlando, FL. Parade performers will showcase our roles in various productions, including Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade; Move it, Shake it, Dance & Play it!; The Festival of the Lion King, as well as new entertainment offerings coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park in 2016!

Do you think the new entertainment offerings are additional performers for Rivers of Light? Other nighttime shows? Or something new altogether?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disney Auditions published this today on social media: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyAudi...115713456705/1161734550528145/?type=3&theater

http://disneyauditions.com/audition-calendar/?aud_id=7692&cid=12508

Do you think the new entertainment offerings are additional performers for Rivers of Light? Other nighttime shows? Or something new altogether?

Maybe to fill slots for some that said "screw this I'm finding another job" when Disney told them "we messed up bad and have no clue when this show will begin"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom