New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Cesar R M

With respect, yes.

The show, as is, can't guarantee to run more than once each night. Actually it can't guarantee to complete one show.
any idea what is the problem? the programming? the floats/boats? reliability of of the light/water parts?
is it hardware? or management(human resources) wise?

It is costing Disney more at this point. They already recruited and transferred operations CMs to the nighttime offerings. This isn't a cost cut. This is a series of technical issues that aren't going away.
I wonder if it would have been easy to add "tracks" on the bottom of the lake than using GPS while "driving" in a fluid, with wireless/gps delays and special effects chained to the show. Kinda hard to get semi perfect accuracy under these conditions.

ToTBellHop

any idea what is the problem? the programming? the floats/boats? reliability of of the light/water parts?

I wonder if it would have been easy to add "tracks" on the bottom of the lake than using GPS while "driving" in a fluid, with wireless/gps delays and special effects chained to the show. Kinda hard to get semi perfect accuracy under these conditions.
It's WDI. They're paid to imagine and create new technology.

scoobygirl39541

I think it is about much more than the show - although I was certainly looking forward to ROL. I'm a WDW addict but my family is more normal about it - they like it but can do just fine without it. I've been talking about seeing new things on our next trip on Memorial Day weekend. Nighttime safari, ROL, even existing rides like EE at night. Maybe Soarin in high def and Frozenstrom. Turns out we will do exactly what we did last September (and last May etc.) except Soarin' will be closed. We can't even see the third track for TSMM. Really is getting ridiculous at this point.

All of that I can agree with, but my post was replying directly to a post about people scheduling trips around the show only.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Clearly someone did not realize that running GPS in a artificial canyon with lots of steel would be a 'less than optional' design decision. They would have been better of with inertial guidance since the start point could be initialized at the start of the show and motion in X, Y and Z axis could be compensated for easily because the gyro systems whether laser or mechanical measure acceleration instead of position.

OneDNP

Of course my inner cynic is asking is the real reason behind RoL not opening on time being the huge park budget cuts in that the attraction may indeed be show ready but AK simply does not have sufficient operating budget to run the park with ROL and extended hours

Reality of business is that one needs gold to breed gold.
My inner cynic asked the same thing with words like "Shanghi" and "extra magic hours" thrown in.

TTA94

So, if by some miracle(it would be nice to get some GOOD NEWS! not been a good week!)ROL works itself out quicker than everyone thought, we still need to wait till mid May for a blog post?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. The biggest problem and upset of the delay announcement was the part where they said The next UPDATE will be mid or end of May.. When we first heard the rumors of the delay, the rumors were RoL being delayed by a week or two, Not months! Which is what Disney basicly hinted at.

But at this point I don't think anyone really knows much of anything.

Cesar R M

Clearly someone did not realize that running GPS in a artificial canyon with lots of steel would be a 'less than optional' design decision. They would have been better of with inertial guidance since the start point could be initialized at the start of the show and motion in X, Y and Z axis could be compensated for easily because the gyro systems whether laser or mechanical measure acceleration instead of position.
or.. use location pontoons in the water so the boats can align to them.

.I dont think gyro systems in water are reliable. Since when you push a boat forward, the boat will lean backwards and when you stop the acceleration push, you will get strong deceleration and a forward leaning.

halltd

Give me a break! I live in Orlando, they have damn billboards up advertising this all over the city.
Uh...where are all these billboards? I haven't seen any.

It is. And even with three shows the capacity issue will be a PR and GS nightmare.

Think of the family with 2.4 children on their first and ever trip who still don't know what a fast pass is let alone that they might need one. Assuming they can get one on the day.

I hope the company have a good plan.
Ya know, I was at the MK this past weekend with a friend who came to visit. We had an AMAZING time at the park, and actually rode a LOT of things with booking our FastPasses only a couple days in advance (DURING SPRING BREAK) and booking our table service dining DAY OF. Keep in mind the park was mobbed on Sunday because of the gorgeous weather. We weren't even there the entire day (arrived at maybe noon, left at 9:00pm, and had about 1.5 hours of table service dining) and experienced a ton of things.

We ran into a family while waiting in line for the TSI Rafts and during the conversation we realized they hadn't made any dining or FastPass reservations since they didn't even know what FPs were. I asked how their day had been going and they said they were having the best time ever and couldn't have even hoped for more. Earlier in the weekend, we also overheard people at Epcot asking various members in their group "what are these Fastpass things".

It's totally possible to have an amazing time at any of the parks with little or no planning. It's all in your attitude.

jrhwdw

Not really. It's not as though show pieces are still in production. Everything is on site. It's an issue of reliability. And they can't have show elements breaking nightly in a new show. That's reserved for Fantasmic! and the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Would you expect them to open a ride with half of the elements broken? You don't open something until it's done.
Not tonight for MSEP! Great night for MSEP! EVERY Float was there! Maybe missing a dancer or two if that much! Saw it myself via Streaming Disney and Periscope from the hub.
In other news Looks like the stage is completely gone from the castle or at the very least , the arches are gone.

Last edited:

TTA94

Not tonight for MSEP! Great night for MSEP! EVERY Float was there! Maybe missing a dancer or two if that much! Saw it myself via Streaming Disney and Periscope from the hub.
In other news Looks like the stage is completely gone from the castle or at the very least , the arches are gone.

Not to go off subject but the stage arches are gone? Please tell me that's true and they are gone forever! Except the concept art showed them...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom