New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Jeffxz

I don't see any impact to Everest. From an ops standpoint it would be chaos.

Have you heard anything about WOC style day-of paper FP distribution? Seems like this would be a good way to force people to show up early and spend the entire day at the park. It would also probably be a little bit more fair to non-planners and short notice guests.

lentesta

Premium Member
One more question: What's the prevailing wind direction at the AK? I'm wondering whether any of the seats will be hit by fountain mist, the way World of Color sometimes is.

ETA: It seems like the wind usually comes from the ESE, so away from the seats most nights. But there's 4 days out of the next 15 (as an example) where winds from the N and NW could spray the Dinoland seats with mist. So that's not the place to be in cold weather.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So I'm assuming it's not the situation where they are still working day and night to open the show ASAP, but rather they already have a opening date in mind of June and even if they Could have the show ready in let's say a week or two out from the 22nd, they will still wait till June to open?
I'd say they'll go when they're absolutely ready. And 100% sure it'll work.

Or rather they'll tell marketing when they're ready. I don't hold much hope until late May.

cindy_k

I haven't been to Animal Kingdom in a while. Is there still seating at FlameTree BBQ down by the water? and if so would you be able to watch the show from there?

Marlins1

That's seems a little excessive for a just a new nighttime show, but I'm sure most of those people will have a wonderful time regardless. After all, it's not a full new land. I wouldn't think 15 minutes would make that much of a difference in booking a trip unless they have the time and money to spare.
I think it is about much more than the show - although I was certainly looking forward to ROL. I'm a WDW addict but my family is more normal about it - they like it but can do just fine without it. I've been talking about seeing new things on our next trip on Memorial Day weekend. Nighttime safari, ROL, even existing rides like EE at night. Maybe Soarin in high def and Frozenstrom. Turns out we will do exactly what we did last September (and last May etc.) except Soarin' will be closed. We can't even see the third track for TSMM. Really is getting ridiculous at this point.

cindy_k

I think it is about much more than the show - although I was certainly looking forward to ROL. I'm a WDW addict but my family is more normal about it - they like it but can do just fine without it. I've been talking about seeing new things on our next trip on Memorial Day weekend. Nighttime safari, ROL, even existing rides like EE at night. Maybe Soarin in high def and Frozenstrom. Turns out we will do exactly what we did last September (and last May etc.) except Soarin' will be closed. We can't even see the third track for TSMM. Really is getting ridiculous at this point.

Well there is a new firework show at Hollywood Studios. I saw it the other night, its pretty good.
:rolleyes:Its not much, but something.

cindy_k

There are a lot of things you can fault Disney for recently. We have all seen the lists. But I am having a hard time believing ROL is one of those faults, even with a delay.

I don't think its a technical fault but it does seem like a rather large marketing mistake.
They put a date on it, advertised this and then oops'd. That's a problem and will disappoint people.

glvsav37

Sounds like it would have been easier to just follow what Disney has always done before and created floats that a driven by people.... Everything automated sounds like it has been disastrous.

Normally I'd agree, but I guess (like the rest of the working world) automated reduces staff costs. More floats = more cast. And I heard (not sure) that anyone that drives a boat for WDW is some sort of union or specialization required that prob comes with a higher pay grade.

I get the automated use for a show like this. But dialing in the correct/perfect automated choreography has got to me a nightmare.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I haven't been to Animal Kingdom in a while. Is there still seating at FlameTree BBQ down by the water? and if so would you be able to watch the show from there?

They are still there, but that would give you a view of the back of the show. The viewing area is directly opposite that section.

BernardandBianca

Sounds like it would have been easier to just follow what Disney has always done before and created floats that a driven by people.... Everything automated sounds like it has been disastrous.

But they have completely automated attractions in existence that work fine. Se Winnie the Pooh and Aquatopia in TDL..

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
5000 seats may say otherwise.

Fantasmic is only 7,500 if I am not mistaken and they do 1 or 2 shows a nights compared to the 2 or 3 that are supposed to happen with ROL. So I am curious to know if there was the same reaction around these parts to Fantasmic. Also, I heard here that it is common for Fantasmic to not even hit capacity for their second show. Maybe someone can confirm whether this is the case or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom