New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

PREMiERdrum

I have a degree in theatrical design & did a ton of lighting and the idea of programing and tech-ing this gives me butterflies and panic attacks at the same time. The amount of layering and complexity that must be going on here makes my head spin.

I'm right there with you... I have a BA in Stagecraft and the thought of getting all these individual profiles figured out and stacked correctly makes me absolutely sweaty.

note2001

Years ago, Disney did some brilliant marketing by mailing home large colorful brochures featuring the under construction EPCOT Center. It worked well. So many people I knew booked trips just to see the new park based on that material. I used to leaf through the booklet at least once every day up until our trip. Given the opportunity back then, I would have pleaded with my parents to buy me a hat, shirt or poster for the new attractions before we even arrived.

I cannot believe that Disney marketing missed out on selling Rivers of Light posters and T-shirts featuring the new floats and Tree of Life lit up prior to opening. :D Let's see if they miss the paid-for-by-consumers marketing opp with Pandora, Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land.

TTA94

I'm guessing since they haven't brought out the main lotus that it will be stationery/anchored and does not require gps programing or whatever they are doing?

Besides the main lotus is there anything we haven't seen?

djkidkaz

Well on April 10th the Cast Members will receive their schedules for the week this show debuts so it has to be posted by the 10th at the absolute latest. April 3rd would be the date if they plan on doing test runs with actual Guests or possibly even Cast Member only previews the week prior to its official debut.

bjm72385

I'm guessing since they haven't brought out the main lotus that it will be stationery/anchored and does not require gps programing or whatever they are doing?

Besides the main lotus is there anything we haven't seen?
It could be that since they are forced to do daytime testing that they are keeping this one thing from being tested during the day and only testing it at night so that at least one part of the show will be a surprise.

TTA94

Well one of the rumors was FPs and dining packages opening up May 1st.. so, that would bring us to April 1st/2nd for them dropping. We shall see.

I honestly do not like the idea at all of stand by only on opening weekend...

CrescentLake

I am so upset that we're missing this by just a few days. We go from the 5th through the 12th. I guess next year will be an awesome time to visit WDW, especially AK!

Brian Swan

I am so upset that we're missing this by just a few days. We go from the 5th through the 12th. I guess next year will be an awesome time to visit WDW, especially AK!
Unless a pop-up trip to Orlando comes along in the meantime, my next "planned" trip to WDW is for Fall of 2017 - and if it looks like TSL will have an early 2018 opening, I may wait until then.

CrescentLake

Unless a pop-up trip to Orlando comes along in the meantime, my next "planned" trip to WDW is for Fall of 2017 - and if it looks like TSL will have an early 2018 opening, I may wait until then.

Yeah, thats probably what I would shoot for as well. Problem is, haven't seen much to indicate TSL is going to go up that fast.

ABQ

Rohde's been around the park at night recently it seems. He posted this pic with his usual verbose narrative.
12519428_1690246867883500_1586698513_n.jpg

Night at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The park is quite compelling after dark. I have always loved walking around after dark in the various villages and towns we've encountered on our travels. Very often, even in touristic places, night brings a total change of mood. In Bali, for example, a bustling daytime street becomes a quiet playground lit only by pools of fluorescent light where kids ride scooters and people sit and talk quietly, music echoing from a nearby temple. Vendors no longer single you out for a pitch. That's work. Work is over. In Africa, in Lamu, much the same. Lamu is Muslim, highly influenced by the seagoing Arab cultures of the Southern Arabian peninsula, like Oman. In Arabic culture there is a concept called Samar. It sort of means that quiet congenial feeling when people gather after dark to tell stories, listen to poetry and music, and be together. We in the west tend to traditionally see night as a negative, something to be lit up brightly until it no longer really exists, like Times Square, where peregrine falcons hunt at midnite. But night is essential, as dreams are essential. We should let night be night, and enjoy living in two worlds instead of only one.

RandySavage

Night at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The park is quite compelling after dark.We in the west tend to traditionally see night as a negative, something to be lit up brightly until it no longer really exists, like Times Square, where peregrine falcons hunt at midnite. But night is essential, as dreams are essential. We should let night be night, and enjoy living in two worlds instead of only one.

The most memorable, transportative experience I can remember having at any theme park (post-EPCOT Center) was exploring Animal Kingdom some years ago at night (must have been an extra hours feature). The darkness, minimal lighting, emptiness, detail and real (or recorded?) animal sounds all made it incredible and otherworldly.

A fear in the back of my mind with all these very welcome changes to AK is that the Disney Legal department is going to insist on much higher lighting levels around the park at night (as they sadly have done with the PotC queue), reducing that one-of-a-kind experience in the dark to a brightly-lit one.

Blairnicol

Rohde's been around the park at night recently it seems. He posted this pic with his usual verbose narrative.
12519428_1690246867883500_1586698513_n.jpg

Night at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The park is quite compelling after dark. I have always loved walking around after dark in the various villages and towns we've encountered on our travels. Very often, even in touristic places, night brings a total change of mood. In Bali, for example, a bustling daytime street becomes a quiet playground lit only by pools of fluorescent light where kids ride scooters and people sit and talk quietly, music echoing from a nearby temple. Vendors no longer single you out for a pitch. That's work. Work is over. In Africa, in Lamu, much the same. Lamu is Muslim, highly influenced by the seagoing Arab cultures of the Southern Arabian peninsula, like Oman. In Arabic culture there is a concept called Samar. It sort of means that quiet congenial feeling when people gather after dark to tell stories, listen to poetry and music, and be together. We in the west tend to traditionally see night as a negative, something to be lit up brightly until it no longer really exists, like Times Square, where peregrine falcons hunt at midnite. But night is essential, as dreams are essential. We should let night be night, and enjoy living in two worlds instead of only one.
His insta account is one of my absolute favorites. He will respond to comments sometimes too. I sat next to him at a table at Jiko once and it took everything I had not to go thank him for the amazingness that is DAK, but I didn't want to interrupt his dinner. :geek:

Blairnicol

I'm right there with you... I have a BA in Stagecraft and the thought of getting all these individual profiles figured out and stacked correctly makes me absolutely sweaty.
I felt the same way the 1st time I watched World of Color. Timing moving lights with water canons, fountains, projections/media and music made me anxious just watching. It also made me wonder how often they have to recalibrate the show.

Brian Swan

I felt the same way the 1st time I watched World of Color. Timing moving lights with water canons, fountains, projections/media and music made me anxious just watching. It also made me wonder how often they have to recalibrate the show.
The first time I saw WOC I was in literally jaw-dropping awe. It is BY FAR the most amazing show that Disney has ever produced. Although physically much smaller, I'm hoping that ROL has the same effect on me. But WOC is a hard act to follow...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom