Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah there's a few more that would show up on the list behind Illuminations.

There's a reason it has been able to last so long and not feel outdated or out of touch.

Just because there are lesser night shows doesn't mean Illuminations isn't outdated. The long interlude with just music is really boring if you can't make out what's happening on a too-small globe that has broken up projections on just one third of its surface. That was a Bad Idea. And only when I'm in the FP reserved area can I really make out what's happening on the projections. Now, add in the difficulty of seeing what's on the surface of the lake when you have people in front of you... Not only is the globe too small, but so are the water fountains. Wrong scale.

Notes from Neverland

I always recommend watching Illuminations from Italy, specifically if there isn't a private event taking place across the little bridges from the main pavilion. Awesome spot to watch and you can make out what's on the globe fairly easily.

matt9112

From my brief discussions with CM's, it sounds like Disney wants to embrace the the retro-80s nature of the park while pushing it forward -- trying not to get stuck in 1982 but keeping in mind people's fond memories of the place. I can completely see them going back to EPCOT Center going forward.

of course without your memorys of the park in its prime why would you even go? that is what keeps me coming back.

FullSailDan

Was just gonna say Fantasmic. That show needs help, big time. RoL isn't bad it just needs..."more" something, if that makes sense. There's really no build up and major pay off but the music is incredible and it is pretty to look at.

I don't get the fantasmic hate. They could swap out some show scenes to make it "fresh", but the show has great bones. Overall it's a heavy crowd pleaser. Kids love it, adults are entertained, theres pyro, choreo, music, and it features Mickey.

rle4lunch

Fantasmic?
Rivers of Light?

Rivers of light was underwhelming, but at least its new and the tech is cool. Illuminations has basically been the same schlock since 86. Fant! is better than illuminations, even with its incoherent plot. Illuminations is a basic ground effect fireworks show with an unimpressive ball that no one can see clearly enough to care what's going on. Blech. Been ready for that show to go for YEARS.

MaximumEd

Illuminations is still my favorite thing to do in all of WDW. Well, that and Splash Mountain. My wife, the saint, isn’t a huge fan but always watches it with me. It’s just so original Epcot Center. Will hate to see it go. When the torches get blown out gets me every time. I’m a 44 year old turned back into that 13 year old seeing Epcot for the first time in 1986.

trainplane3

Rivers of light was underwhelming, but at least its new and the tech is cool. Illuminations has basically been the same schlock since 86. Fant! is better than illuminations, even with its incoherent plot. Illuminations is a basic ground effect fireworks show with an unimpressive ball that no one can see clearly enough to care what's going on. Blech. Been ready for that show to go for YEARS.
And I see Fantasmic as a show that centers around watching "Disney's greatest hits" on some poor quality water projections with some boring live action shoved in the middle that hasn't been updated in years. And the dragon is hilariously bad. Now DL's Fantasmic is a whole different story. While I can barely stand to watch DHS Fantasmic in person, I can watch DL's on Youtube several times in a row and not get bored. For having a dedicated area for Fantasmic but having much worse effects when compared to a version that is literally stuck in the middle of a park is sad.

But I won't disagree. It's going to be 20 years for the current version of Illuminations so I'm not against a change. I really want an original soundtrack like we have now to be in the newest version, none of this "well known Disney songs crammed into a 15 minute show" (which I'm fine with in MK).

wishiwere@wdw

Just because there are lesser night shows doesn't mean Illuminations isn't outdated. The long interlude with just music is really boring if you can't make out what's happening on a too-small globe that has broken up projections on just one third of its surface. That was a Bad Idea. And only when I'm in the FP reserved area can I really make out what's happening on the projections. Now, add in the difficulty of seeing what's on the surface of the lake when you have people in front of you... Not only is the globe too small, but so are the water fountains. Wrong scale.
While I actually do understand where you are coming from, I’m curious if you’ve seen the show with the updated lasers working? It has given the show new life IMO. Of course, like the other viewing issues you mentioned, these have some as well such as not showing as well without the smoke lingering, MCO flight paths and where you simply happened to be standing but it has seriously given the show a fresh and updated feel when they hit just right. The swooping and fluid movement and formations during the “boring” part in particular are a huge help but my phone had difficulty capturing that effect.

Edit: regardless, I’m in the camp of updating the show with all new tech, refresh (but not ruin!) the score just a bit and plus it :)

Attachments

• 2E4C7690-B1C4-408A-B4E4-A60678B730A0.jpeg
    2E4C7690-B1C4-408A-B4E4-A60678B730A0.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 903CB329-3782-43CC-83C8-B3D3981BA974.jpeg
    903CB329-3782-43CC-83C8-B3D3981BA974.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 139

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom