Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

CrescentLake

This year? Slim to none.

I am thankful to hear this. Martin, not sure how much you can say, but are you encouraged by the rumors that you hear? ROE is my favorite thing in all of WDW, and I will be devastated if they remove the soul from the show and turn it into generic fireworks. It sounds silly, but I've always had a strong affinity for the show. Not opposed to change, I just hope the same feeling remains somewhere in the new show.

CrescentLake

I don't know how far reaching the overhaul will be. I've heard several scenarios but don't know which is being pursued.

Please also remember the ETA can change, as it has done before.

You always are so gracious and fast in your responses, thank you! Good to know. Suppose the best we can do is cross our fingers and wait. Happy I'm going in April so I can see it again.

jrhwdw

HMF

Now that is a show I could get behind! The world's greatest musical artist teaming up with Intel and Disney?!!? The nighttime show would win awards left and right throughout its life.
If that happens I wouldn't even consider setting foot in Epcot again.

bcoachable

Unless they radically changed the viewing arrangement (which seems silly considering how well it works for the park's capacity), I don't think they could realistically use SSE as part of any lagoon show.

But I feel like we might very well see an independent projection show using SSE at some point. Kinda like Awakenings and RoL in the same park.

Yea, I kind of see that as a possibility too.
I was seeing it being used, not so much as a center piece, but as an addition to the new show that is not yet to be announced

rle4lunch

That "stupid ball", which projects images of humans around the world and children looking towards a bright future, is truly beautiful to me.

it wasn't 'stupid' when it debuted 30+ years ago, but it, as with the whole ground effects show, has worn out its welcome.

Otterhead

Unless they radically changed the viewing arrangement (which seems silly considering how well it works for the park's capacity),
The 'viewing arrangement' is exactly why I take all reports of RoE revamps/replacements with a huge grain of salt; that show is so popular that the restaurants around the lagoon have been designed around it. Multiple restaurants have been constructed specifically for people to watch RoE with dinner. I have no doubt it'll keep evolving and updating, as it has been since it debuted, but Disney's going to be very cautious about it, not just chuck such a popular event.

it wasn't 'stupid' when it debuted 30+ years ago, but it, as with the whole ground effects show, has worn out its welcome.
It may have worn out its welcome to you, but you are in the minority.

HMF

It is not 30+ years old. The current show started in 1999. Also I strongly disagree with the argument that something must be replaced simply because it is old. I am not against upgrading technology to make it better but if the show is timeless like I believe ROE is, it should stay indefinitely

Last edited:

rle4lunch

The 'viewing arrangement' is exactly why I take all reports of RoE revamps/replacements with a huge grain of salt; that show is so popular that the restaurants around the lagoon have been designed around it. Multiple restaurants have been constructed specifically for people to watch RoE with dinner. I have no doubt it'll keep evolving and updating, as it has been since it debuted, but Disney's going to be very cautious about it, not just chuck such a popular event.

It may have worn out its welcome to you, but you are in the minority.

the problem I have with it is that I've been going to WDW parks et al since I was 6 years old in 1982. This show, in essence, hasn't changed enough to warrant my attention, or to keep me in the park only to have to wait for the monorail for an hour and a half to get back to my room. The vantage points to view the show are almost never satisfactory, you can barely see the 'stupid' ball animation, ever. Whilst some of the fireworks are impressive, they are by and large run of the mill stuff that you can see at the end of a main street parade. Am I a cynic? Probably. But I'm sure there are more of me out there that are in-line with my thinking. While I believe that 'new isn't always better', this show has no nostalgic aspect or aura to it, and doesn't have any last impression on me like other nighttime shows like Wishes once did.

rle4lunch

It is not 30+ years old. The current show started in 1999. Also I strongly disagree with the argument that something must be replaced simply because it is old. I am not against upgrading technology to make it better if the show is timeless like I believe ROE is, it should stay indefinitely

Watch a youtube of reflections of earth from the 80's. You'll see that the same premise (and older globe) are there.

azox

With no exaggeration, if Illuminations ends entirely -- the show, the music, the song, etc -- I'm not sure if my traveling companions and myself will return to WDW anytime soon. It's such a huge part of our trip and, as you say, has such an emotional connection for me and my loved ones that a trip to the park will be a harder sell for all of us.

I cannot agree more. This show is a staple of our visit and for many of us the only night time show we actually attend. A great show with a great soundtrack and one that provokes lots of thought and emotion. While I love Disney characters, it's nice that this show does not focus on them. Hopefully it will stay that way.

New tech would be great to have! Drones would be a perfect fit
Leave the music alone :) It's a great composition just like the old Soarin was.

HMF

Watch a youtube of reflections of earth from the 80's. You'll see that the same premise (and older globe) are there.
Uh, there was no Reflections of Earth in the 80s, It was simply IllumiNations then. As for the premise The original IllumiNations was basically a clip show with fireworks and lasers and classical music showcasing the different nations of World Showcase. Reflections of Earth is a re-telling of the history of our planet told with explosives fireworks lasers and music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom