New Muppet Ride?

Thrill

If you're referring to the 3D, well, yeah, it's a factor...but 3D didn't help Mars Needs Moms. I think the Lion King got big box office pretty much on its own merits. I bet Chicken Little 3D wouldn't do so well... ;)

As for merchandising, it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I wonder if the Muppet store in DHS will start carrying all-Muppet merchandise, as opposed to the way it is now, which is about 1/3 Muppet and the rest Mickey and company...

3D certainly wouldn't hurt the Muppets. And a limited release would definitely help press for a larger opening.

Oh, it's not just the Lion King. Where's Mary Poppins - you know, the Oscar-winning film that many consider to be Walt's masterpiece? And where's Fantasia? There are also no attractions based on Pinocchio in WDW. Not to mention the Jungle Book. No-one will ever convince me that Jim Henson's puppets should take precedence over them.

However, a couple of people on this thread have mentioned that the Muppet expansion probably won't happen anyway. I'm inclined to agree with them. After all, while the Muppets placed second at the box office, it didn't do nearly as well as Tangled did last Thanksgiving, http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2010&wknd=48&p=.htm and Tangled was up against Harry Potter. And since I haven't heard anything about a Tangled attraction beyond that little tower during the Flower Show and the Flynn and Rapunzel meet-and-greets, it does seem kind of doubtful that Disney would invest more money on an attraction based on a lesser film. :)

Again, it's not all about box office returns.

Which do you think has a broader potential for attractions? A collection of dozens of puppets, or a very small core of characters? How about for merchandise?

As for the films you mentioned, Mary Poppins has Great Movie Ride recognition, Fantasia does as well, plus some Fantasmic involvement and a mini golf course, and Pinocchio has rides in other resorts. I believe Jungle Book has a restaurant in Hong Kong. Even though these might not be enough, movies like Fantasia have (sadly) fallen from cultural relevance, and, aside from C-Ticket Fantasyland style dark rides, I've seen very little by way of ideas for attractions based on these movies. Only exception is the supposed Bald Mountain coaster, which would be way too expensive for a movie that the majority of the population doesn't know much about.

RSoxNo1

On this week's episode of Magical Definition, Jim Hill discusses how Jason Segel was asked if he saw a component of this movie that can be made into an attraction. Segel said no. Jim did say that so much of the future plans for The Muppets depend on the success of this movie. While that's not really a secret I think the best bet to seeing a wider Muppet presence is to support this movie.

Tigger1988

On this week's episode of Magical Definition, Jim Hill discusses how Jason Segel was asked if he saw a component of this movie that can be made into an attraction. Segel said no. Jim did say that so much of the future plans for The Muppets depend on the success of this movie. While that's not really a secret I think the best bet to seeing a wider Muppet presence is to support this movie.

Actually Segel said in Entertainment Weekly: "I was like, 'Man, I've to tell you--I was not thinking that way when I wrote any of this.'" He never gave an answer either way.

Plutofan1

What I think is being missed by some in this argument is just how valuable the Muppets are in terms of possibilities for a theme park. While films like Mary Poppins and the Lion King may be worthy of a ride or attraction, the Imagineers are somewhat limited in what they can do with them. More than likely, it would just be another dark ride (not necessarily a bad thing, but could be limited in terms of broad appeal). The Muppets are their own brand that has stretched between television and film countless times over the past 40 years. There is no limit to how far they can take them. And if the original idea of a Muppet Movie Ride is being rehashed, there is no better group of characters to center the attraction around than the Muppets.

Nemofinder

I think a strong Muppet attraction should be completely original. I would love to have Segel involved in the creative process and they should have the same Flight of Conchords team write an original composition for the attraction, but the ride/show or whatever should be independent of the movie.

Walter can come too. I believe the reason why Muppet Vision works is because it was crafted specifically for the park. When rides try to follow a movie plot.. i don't know... The Muppet Movie ride, even if called something else so as to not kick the replacement hornet's nest, would be perfect and it gives so much source material.

Maybe a Lion King scene in the Muppet Movie ride? That sounds like a fair compromise, eh?

cjgren

After all, while the Muppets placed second at the box office, it didn't do nearly as well as Tangled did last Thanksgiving, http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2010&wknd=48&p=.htm and Tangled was up against Harry Potter.

Tangled was also only up against one other family movie that weekend, Megamind. It also had the plus power of 3D ticket sale prices.

The Muppets were up against Happy Feet Two, Arthur Christmas, Hugo, and Puss in Boots. The Muppets was also not in 3D and didn't have that extra revenue.

You can't really compare the two.

rbrower

What I think is being missed by some in this argument is just how valuable the Muppets are in terms of possibilities for a theme park. While films like Mary Poppins and the Lion King may be worthy of a ride or attraction, the Imagineers are somewhat limited in what they can do with them. More than likely, it would just be another dark ride (not necessarily a bad thing, but could be limited in terms of broad appeal). The Muppets are their own brand that has stretched between television and film countless times over the past 40 years. There is no limit to how far they can take them. And if the original idea of a Muppet Movie Ride is being rehashed, there is no better group of characters to center the attraction around than the Muppets.

That's exactly what I was trying to say the page before this. I just was talking around myself, so thank you. :lol:

Random question/thought: Let's say The Muppet Movie Ride was to be built. Now, I personally love the GMR, but it could definitely use a boost in popularity. Do you think, if children went on the Muppet Movie Ride and enjoyed it, they would be more likely to go on GMR? Or do you think most people wouldn't even make the correlation between the two?

RSoxNo1

Actually Segel said in Entertainment Weekly: "I was like, 'Man, I've to tell you--I was not thinking that way when I wrote any of this.'" He never gave an answer either way.

Fair enough - with that in mind, there's still no obvious attraction tie in with the movie.

That's exactly what I was trying to say the page before this. I just was talking around myself, so thank you. :lol:

Random question/thought: Let's say The Muppet Movie Ride was to be built. Now, I personally love the GMR, but it could definitely use a boost in popularity. Do you think, if children went on the Muppet Movie Ride and enjoyed it, they would be more likely to go on GMR? Or do you think most people wouldn't even make the correlation between the two?

It could depend on how the emphasize the words in "The Muppet Movie Ride". If "Muppet" is emphasized the same way "Great" is emphasized in Great Movie Ride a correlation may exist. Comparitively, if the emphasis is similar to The Simpsons Ride where "The Simpsons" is treated as one thing, then the correlation won't be as significant. If anything people would think it would tie into the new movie or the original "The Muppet Movie."

Atomicmickey

Ya know what? Don't we already have about the best Muppet attraction there can be? Henson's last project, interactive 3D movie? Increased popularity due to the film will mean increased traffic at the attraction, win/win.

I'm a fan, and I loved the new movie. I just don't see the need for a new attraction at this time. Maybe (gasp) a M&G with Kermit? Would love to have a pic with Kermit. He's like a Mickey, sorta. (haters back off, just my opinion!). I couldn't imagine a puppeteer working long hours like that, though, for a M&G. Maybe an animatronic.

Maybe Pizza Planet turns into a Muppet restaurant? Something with animatronic Muppets coming out--like Sonny Eclipse? Statler and Waldorf commenting on things? "Hey kid get that straw out of your nose!" That sort of thing. It could be done like Mr. Potato Head/MILF/Crush where a live comedian is behind the scenes (shhhh!) It's a bit Chuck E. Cheesy but could be done well. Little things could be done to continue to tie that whole area together.

Even as a fan, I don't see a whole new land, or new ride being necessary.

RSoxNo1

Ya know what? Don't we already have about the best Muppet attraction there can be? Henson's last project, interactive 3D movie? Increased popularity due to the film will mean increased traffic at the attraction, win/win.

I'm a fan, and I loved the new movie. I just don't see the need for a new attraction at this time. Maybe (gasp) a M&G with Kermit? Would love to have a pic with Kermit. He's like a Mickey, sorta. (haters back off, just my opinion!). I couldn't imagine a puppeteer working long hours like that, though, for a M&G. Maybe an animatronic.

Maybe Pizza Planet turns into a Muppet restaurant? Something with animatronic Muppets coming out--like Sonny Eclipse? Statler and Waldorf commenting on things? "Hey kid get that straw out of your nose!" That sort of thing. It could be done like Mr. Potato Head/MILF/Crush where a live comedian is behind the scenes (shhhh!) It's a bit Chuck E. Cheesy but could be done well. Little things could be done to continue to tie that whole area together.

How about this:

The Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor was an abandoned concept for a Muppet-themed restaurant for Disney-MGM Studios (now known as Disney’s Hollywood Studios) in Walt Disney World, Florida. The concept was to create a resturant run by Gonzo and Rizzo.

Part of the original concept was to have animatronics Muppet rats deliver pizza to the tables by way of a "train track" system. Other features from the concept included Gonzo being heard crawling through the duct work along the ceiling, video screens depicting classic Muppet clips as well as the pandemonium in the kitchen (featuring Gonzo, Rizzo and the Swedish Chef), and the occasional explosion, blowing open the doors of the kitchen sending clouds of smoke and chicken feathers into the dining room.

The walls of this restaurant, similar to the lobby of Muppet*Vision 3D, would have been covered with recreations of props from various Muppet films and shows, as well as random sight gags.

TropicalFig8

I wish they would bring back the Muppet M&G. Kermit is Mickey Mouse to me. Maybe if the movie is super successful,Disney might think about it.

I kind of wished The Muppets would of been #1. Muppets are way better than Twilight and Breaking Dawn was a terrible movie when I saw it. I bet the songs will get tons of nominations.

Murphketeer

II kind of wished The Muppets would of been #1. Muppets are way better than Twilight and Breaking Dawn was a terrible movie when I saw it. I bet the songs will get tons of nominations.

Some great movies, just don't hit the demographics of the top selling movies. Personally, I would not waste time and money on most of the movies shown on the big screens these days.

ProjectGemini

Original Poster
Even though it didn't come in first, it's important to note that "The Muppets" only cost $40 million to make, and grossed $42 million over the 5day Thanksgiving weekend, which is pretty huge...especially for a franchise that was written off as dead in 2004 (when they were purchased by Disney).

Nemofinder

I'd LOVE that. Not a full body Kermit but an actual Muppet (puppets aren't real, duh) I agree an entire new ride may be a bit much to ask for, but completing whats there already may be feasible. Also would give reason for them to make that an area and not just a back alley of the Streets of America. Doesn't really make sense where it is with the current "themeing". Gonzo's Pizza Place sounds like the coolest restraunt... if they do it right...

I think The Muppets is going to be a big movie. As a PP said, it already made more than it cost in the first weekend. I don't think you need to compare it to Twilight..2 different audiences. The movie did well in its opening weekend.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but anecdotally, I can say I've seen more buzz about this movie than any movie in a long time. Not only is Disney doing a great job of promoting it, but I have seen many, many facebook friends commenting on it.

I think the larger picture is going to be more than how this one movie does, but what it does for the franchise. Attractions at WDW are meant to sell merchandise, DVDs, etc. I've heard a lot of people saying that in anticipation of The Muppets, they've bought DVDs of the earlier Muppet movies to watch or show to their kids. I've also heard of people who have seen the movie who are going out to buy the DVDs to re-watch them since it kind of re-awakened the franchise in their eyes.

My sister didn't even see the movie, but she saw my Kermit shirt (which yes, i bought to wear to the movie and to DHS), and she was saying she wanted one and she said she wanted to watch the original Muppet Movie.

I think as KIDS get into this, the merchandise sales will really soar. They'll see also if there is increased traffic at MuppetVision 3D or if they make more sales at the Muppet store in WDW and frankly in Muppet related products everywhere. I think if it can sell products (Carsland), they'll be more inclined to build a ride.

The Muppets are a very deep and rich franchise with lots of characters and movies already established. I think if this movie and the products, and other DVDs do well, it would only make sense to keep making more movies and hopefully build more in the parks. They already have a lot of plans laid out.

muse1983

In my opinion the films run in theatres will probably make just short of 100 million domestic, worldwide probably around 150. Like you said though, just the hype surrounding the new film has brought out new interest in the older muppet films, muppet show and various merchandise. It's certainly not a bad thing for the franchise but I just don't know if it's enough for Disney to sink a couple hundred million into a new attraction. Then again maybe they won't base it merely off box office returns, I mean regardless of how the film does a new Muppet themed attraction would be a hit regardless. Here's hoping though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom