New Muppet Ride?

Cmdr_Crimson

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeyLetsPutOnAShow its not the originality that warrants the praise but more so the characters and character acting involved. where else do you feel for a couple ping pong balls on a green sock?

The similarity is there when you look at it. Still The Muppets was done better with the jokes and music..
But what is also interesting is that the Country Bears characters for the film were also created at Jim Henson's Creature Shop.

Nemofinder

everything thats not CG is a henson production. I see where you're coming from, but I highly doubt that they pulled inspiration from the country bears.... thats just me

Magenta Panther

Oh, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I love the Lion King. It's one of my personal favorites. I was just simply stating that, since the show exists, technically both the Muppets and the Lion King have one show and are equal in those terms. I guess, to me, the two are different. Lion King is a movie (with a sequel and a retelling of the original from another character's point of view), whereas the Muppets are a whole set of characters with their own universe that includes movies, TV shows, etc. This difference seems to gratify the existence of several Muppet-inspired attractions, while multiple attractions for (basically) one movie is frowned upon by some. Look at the Toy Story franchise. No attractions (that I'm aware of) were built before the first sequel debuted, and it was definitely a success compared to Lion King 2, and Toy Story 3 was an even larger success. The fact that multiple Toy Story attractions exist causes some to give the Disney company flack, even though it has become a large franchise.
I know I'm just talking around myself. I guess I'm just trying to say is that, while I love the Lion King as well, I myself see why multiply Muppet attractions may be built, even though movies such as Lion King only have a show and no ride. :shrug:

I see your point. One has to ask, however, regarding the Muppets film: is it truly a revival, or a last hurrah? Only time will tell. What I find interesting is the fact that the Muppets, as of this writing, has taken in $42 million in five days (Wed-Sun). The reiussue of the Lion King last September, however, earned 30 million in two days. The fact that a 17-year-old 2D movie did so well seems to me to indicate that new attractions based on it (if they were well done) might be pretty popular with the public. So I think it would be a shame if the Muppets attraction was expanded but the Lion King still got nothing but that dinky (sorry to those who like it) show. It seems very odd to me.

Tigger1988

I see your point. One has to ask, however, regarding the Muppets film: is it truly a revival, or a last hurrah? Only time will tell. What I find interesting is the fact that the Muppets, as of this writing, has taken in $42 million in five days (Wed-Sun). The reiussue of the Lion King last September, however, earned 30 million in two days. The fact that a 17-year-old 2D movie did so well seems to me to indicate that new attractions based on it (if they were well done) might be pretty popular with the public. So I think it would be a shame if the Muppets attraction was expanded but the Lion King still got nothing but that dinky (sorry to those who like it) show. It seems very odd to me.

A 17 year old 3D reissue with higher ticket prices. Lion King has two shows (one in AK and one in the Land) and is featured in Philharmagic. Not to mention it had it's own show in MK for years. Quit acting like it's never ever spoken about or seen in Disney parks.

mitchk

I downloaded this the other day (from a torrent site), http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251874/ and just got a chance to watch it. This is a great film that lets you see the Muppets the way Jim wanted them to be. :( They had a lot more adult humor, but I understand that Disney had to tone it down a little for children, but .... I miss the old Muppets :cry:

Magenta Panther

I downloaded this the other day (from a torrent site), http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251874/ and just got a chance to watch it. This is a great film that lets you see the Muppets the way Jim wanted them to be. :( They had a lot more adult humor, but I understand that Disney had to tone it down a little for children, but .... I miss the old Muppets :cry:

Again, I haven't seen it, but I just talked to my sister who took her son and daughter to it. They're ages 7 and 9. She said she enjoyed it - brought back some nice memories - but the kids were bored stiff. They enjoyed Arthur Christmas much more.

But this discussion may now be moot, because Disney seems pretty happy with the new Muppet film. Here's a bit from Reuters (I get a news feed and I keep a close eye on all Disney news, fanatic that I am):

Dave Hollis, Disney's distribution chief, told TheWrap that he had expected the PG-rated "The Muppets" to gross in the upper $30 million range for the five days.

The success, he said, will mean more Muppets across the board.

"The value of 'The Muppets' isn't just about the theatrical run," he said. "It's about how we might take advantage of this across multiple lines of business. This opens the door for us to think about how the Muppets can be showcased in a variety of different ways."

Also read: 'Muppets' Director: 'I Didn't Want to Ruin People's Childhoods'

Hollis said "The Muppets" cost about $45 million to make. The moviegoer survey firm CinemaScore rated it an "A." And it took in $29.5 million over three days.

That, Hollis said, is a powerful combination -- especially considering that the studio had estimated the movie would take in somewhere in the upper $20 million range for the three days.

"We needed to make this film to bring these characters back," he said. "It is a bit of a testament to the power of the Walt Disney Company and the power of the characters combined."

He said that now, "you take a property like this, have it permeate in every way possible the social consciousness of people in every medium possible, have a great theatrical opening and then watch it become a meaningful thing for consumers to interact with in a bunch of different ways."

Also read: 'Happy Feet Two' Flop Leads to 600 Layoffs (Report)

That means merchandise and, perhaps, more movies, he said, noting that the movie's soundtrack is the top soundtrack on iTunes.

"I expect more Muppets everywhere -- and everywhere would theoretically include the movie theater," he said.

Thrill

A 17 year old 3D reissue with higher ticket prices. Lion King has two shows (one in AK and one in the Land) and is featured in Philharmagic. Not to mention it had it's own show in MK for years. Quit acting like it's never ever spoken about or seen in Disney parks.

This, plus the fact that it isn't all about the box office. The Muppets are capable of producing merchandise at a much better level than the Lion King is. Disney's moves as of late have been dictated by merchandise potential (see Carsland).

And, again, nearly doubled ticket prices did a whole lot to help The Lion King at the box office.

El Grupo

Though I like the idea of a Lion King ride, it does seem that the movie has a good deal of exposure in the parks already.

As far as LK earnings are concerned, are you including foreign as well as domestic totals when you mentioned the movie grossing $30 million in two days? Box Office Mojo has LK generating almost $21 million domestically over its first two days (Friday and Saturday) of re-release. This movie also benefitted early on from the "limited release" marketing.

Either way, global receipts of $157 million is still impressive for any film, especially one the originally premiered 17 years earlier.

Skipper03

Plus Lion King has it's own float in the brand new Soundsational parade in DL!
So I agree with you...

Magenta Panther

This, plus the fact that it isn't all about the box office. The Muppets are capable of producing merchandise at a much better level than the Lion King is. Disney's moves as of late have been dictated by merchandise potential (see Carsland).

And, again, nearly doubled ticket prices did a whole lot to help The Lion King at the box office.

If you're referring to the 3D, well, yeah, it's a factor...but 3D didn't help Mars Needs Moms. I think the Lion King got big box office pretty much on its own merits. I bet Chicken Little 3D wouldn't do so well... ;)

As for merchandising, it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I wonder if the Muppet store in DHS will start carrying all-Muppet merchandise, as opposed to the way it is now, which is about 1/3 Muppet and the rest Mickey and company...

Magenta Panther

Though I like the idea of a Lion King ride, it does seem that the movie has a good deal of exposure in the parks already.

As far as LK earnings are concerned, are you including foreign as well as domestic totals when you mentioned the movie grossing $30 million in two days? Box Office Mojo has LK generating almost $21 million domestically over its first two days (Friday and Saturday) of re-release. This movie also benefitted early on from the "limited release" marketing.

Either way, global receipts of $157 million is still impressive for any film, especially one the originally premiered 17 years earlier.

I just bopped over the the Mojo site and checked its numbers. http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2011&wknd=37&p=.htm

Horizonsfan

So I'm curious. Do you think that's enough for the Lion King, while the Muppets, which already have their own courtyard, store and theater, should be further expanded?

To finish out the original concept of Muppet Studios? Yes.

You've made it more than clear that you really like The Lion King. On liking the Lion King I don't think you're going to get a lot of dissent on a WDW forum. However this whole argument about "Lion King doesn't have enough stuff therefore The Muppets shouldn't have an expanded presence" is a bit much and tired.

It's two different franchises within the WD studios. Who's to say that in an ideal scenario WDW couldn't both expand DHS's Muppet area and convert CMM into a Lion King land? Both are unlikely to occur but this "either/or" argument is contrived, especially given how flimsy this rumor is.

Nemofinder

So I'm curious. Do you think that's enough for the Lion King, while the Muppets, which already have their own courtyard, store and theater, should be further expanded?
An entire courtyard for a single attraction seems like overkill don't you think? I don't think they are effectively allocating the space in that area? In your demands for a Lion King attraction, I ask where would you like it? next to Muppet theater? How does that fit in with the Hollywood theme? Would you like them to tear down the Muppet courtyard, recreate a jungle and elephant graveyard? In the middle of "Hollywood"? I don't see a fit.

You demand purity in the parks but cohesive theming to a THEME park, an idea Walt pioneered, is also important. Walt created rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, the tiki room all independently from these "immortal" tales. If you were a true "purist", as you claim to be, you would strive for those types of attractions to resurface. Instead you complain when we deter from the source material you believe should be the norm. DHS has not had a slew of Disney movie inspired attractions, and, I believe a Lion King attraction would muddy the already unclear theme of the park.

As for the Muppets, I love them. I grew up with them as I did Toy Story, Cinderella, The Lion King and the Aristocats. The Muppets belong in DHS and I believe their "expansion" is welcome. I do not see the addition of a dark ride or a restaurant an expansion either, but rather a completion of a vision.
As for your profit mongering accusation, I can only say that from a business aspect it makes sense. People buy Cars merchandise, people saw Cars and Cars 2. Therefore, people like Cars. Personally, I think Carsland looks impressive and will probably visit at some point. The endgame is to get people in the parks. A Chicken Little ride wouldn't. A Cars Test Track?! A Talking Mater?! A chance to eat at Flo's? Sign me up!

Your disdain for all things felt is something others have felt. I myself do not share in this, and neither have 98% of the rottontomatoes critics. Lion King has an 89% btw. I'm not saying that the Muppets are better or worse but these are numbers, something you seem to have an affinity for. The Muppets create the same feelings I've found in other areas of WDW. I believe Lion King is also deserving of some love, but others also need some and they do not already have two separate attractions in two parks.

The Muppets have had a home in DHS and will continue to. I eagerly await whats next in the world of felt.

WDWGoof07

Now that really would be a dream come true.

It would make perfect thematic sense for DHS to resurrect the Muppet Studios concept, and the Muppet Movie Ride would give the park exactly what it needs: a family ride to take the load off Midway Mania.

Magenta Panther

An entire courtyard for a single attraction seems like overkill don't you think? I don't think they are effectively allocating the space in that area? In your demands for a Lion King attraction, I ask where would you like it? next to Muppet theater? How does that fit in with the Hollywood theme? Would you like them to tear down the Muppet courtyard, recreate a jungle and elephant graveyard? In the middle of "Hollywood"? I don't see a fit.

You demand purity in the parks but cohesive theming to a THEME park, an idea Walt pioneered, is also important. Walt created rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, the tiki room all independently from these "immortal" tales. If you were a true "purist", as you claim to be, you would strive for those types of attractions to resurface. Instead you complain when we deter from the source material you believe should be the norm. DHS has not had a slew of Disney movie inspired attractions, and, I believe a Lion King attraction would muddy the already unclear theme of the park.

As for the Muppets, I love them. I grew up with them as I did Toy Story, Cinderella, The Lion King and the Aristocats. The Muppets belong in DHS and I believe their "expansion" is welcome. I do not see the addition of a dark ride or a restaurant an expansion either, but rather a completion of a vision.
As for your profit mongering accusation, I can only say that from a business aspect it makes sense. People buy Cars merchandise, people saw Cars and Cars 2. Therefore, people like Cars. Personally, I think Carsland looks impressive and will probably visit at some point. The endgame is to get people in the parks. A Chicken Little ride wouldn't. A Cars Test Track?! A Talking Mater?! A chance to eat at Flo's? Sign me up!

Your disdain for all things felt is something others have felt. I myself do not share in this, and neither have 98% of the rottontomatoes critics. Lion King has an 89% btw. I'm not saying that the Muppets are better or worse but these are numbers, something you seem to have an affinity for. The Muppets create the same feelings I've found in other areas of WDW. I believe Lion King is also deserving of some love, but others also need some and they do not already have two separate attractions in two parks.

The Muppets have had a home in DHS and will continue to. I eagerly await whats next in the world of felt.

It's true, I consider the Muppets to be inferior to the best of Disney, but then I think few things are equal to the best of Disney.

Oh, and as for Rotten Tomatoes - it gave a low score to Breaking Dawn, which walked all over the Muppets. So I'm not sure RT's statistics are worth much when it comes to actual box-office performance, which is ALL that counts as far as the major studios are concerned. :shrug:

Tigger1988

Rotten Tomatoes grades movies based on their critical acclaim and review. GOOD films have high ratings, bad ones don't. So not sure why you're surprised drivel like Twilight has a low score.

Jack and Jill has made 50 mil, box office doesn't mean everything and it certainly doesn't account for taste.

Magenta Panther

You've made it more than clear that you really like The Lion King. On liking the Lion King I don't think you're going to get a lot of dissent on a WDW forum. However this whole argument about "Lion King doesn't have enough stuff therefore The Muppets shouldn't have an expanded presence" is a bit much and tired.

Oh, it's not just the Lion King. Where's Mary Poppins - you know, the Oscar-winning film that many consider to be Walt's masterpiece? And where's Fantasia? There are also no attractions based on Pinocchio in WDW. Not to mention the Jungle Book. No-one will ever convince me that Jim Henson's puppets should take precedence over them.

However, a couple of people on this thread have mentioned that the Muppet expansion probably won't happen anyway. I'm inclined to agree with them. After all, while the Muppets placed second at the box office, it didn't do nearly as well as Tangled did last Thanksgiving, http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2010&wknd=48&p=.htm and Tangled was up against Harry Potter. And since I haven't heard anything about a Tangled attraction beyond that little tower during the Flower Show and the Flynn and Rapunzel meet-and-greets, it does seem kind of doubtful that Disney would invest more money on an attraction based on a lesser film. :)

Horizonsfan

Oh, it's not just the Lion King. Where's Mary Poppins - you know, the Oscar-winning film that many consider to be Walt's masterpiece? And where's Fantasia? There are also no attractions based on Pinocchio in WDW. Not to mention the Jungle Book. No-one will ever convince me that Jim Henson's puppets should take precedence over them. So let's just leave it there. :rolleyes:

No one's trying to convince you. Not every movie ever made by Disney needs to have an attraction at WDW, to do that is ridiculous at this point, there's just too many films. You just argued that The Muppets are unworthy because of its box office returns. By that measure then, Fantasia does not deserve any sort of presence (Guess Fantasmic is going to need retooling? What about the Fantasia Gardens Mini-Golf? Same with that scene in GMR.) Pinnochio would be borderline qualified then (of course the tepid response the ride got in DL & TDL would probably prevent it from being repeated elsewhere). Plus wouldn't an attraction plus the Village Haus be overkill for a property of that profitability? Is Jungle Book culturally relevant? Regardless, it had a show and its time had passed according to DAK's management. Personally I'd love to see some area for 101 Dalmations, probably moreso than for The Muppets. But that's not on the table.

You can think there are a 1,000 other disney movies that are superior to The Muppets. Fine. You're probably not alone. You can personally want to strangle Kermit for all it matters. That's fine as well, different strokes for different folks. I don't know if your a disgruntled former puppeteer or what. I don't care. If you're going to keep posting to this thread please try to bring fresh perspective instead of repeating the same points.

Hating the Muppets. Okay.

Rewording your disdain for the muppets every couple of posts. Excessive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom