Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Disney did announce the 7th ship when it was supposedly a very late decision to make three more. So I am curious to see how this announcement compares to a nearly $1B addition. Timing is everything...

msg7

Now we've talked about the possibilities of how long it would take to receive the monorails after the order was placed but how long would it actually take to build 1 full train from the time construction/assembly is started until it is ready to be tested?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
All I’m saying is better train by train than no trains at all.

@Rteetz i assume you’re hearing that the automation system or some other major operational system that only affects the beam it’s programmed to is going to be replaced if they can’t do it train by train? Of course, I could be totally off base.

Rteetz

All I’m saying is better train by train than no trains at all.

@Rteetz i assume you’re hearing that the automation system or some other major operational system that only affects the beam it’s programmed to is going to be replaced if they can’t do it train by train? Of course, I could be totally off base.
I’m not incredibly familiar with the power and such involved with the lines and if they are all connected. They might be able to do it line by line that way. With what I’ve heard they likely wouldn’t be able to have a current train and new train on the same line.

the.dreamfinder

I’m not incredibly familiar with the power and such involved with the lines and if they are all connected. They might be able to do it line by line that way. With what I’ve heard they likely wouldn’t be able to have a current train and new train on the same line.
Concievably, they would do the Epcot line first, then move onto the SSL lines?

CaptainAmerica

I feel like Disney should be able to work a deal with Bombardier to use this fleet as their models for sales purposes. Outsource the maintenance, give Bombardier all the incentive to keep them in tip top shape, and let them bring big wigs and their families to Walt Disney World for their big sales pitches.

Flalex72

Concievably, they would do the Epcot line first, then move onto the SSL lines?

There's no reason I can conceive of that it would be the signalling system preventing running two different models at the same time, that's pretty common in mass transit. That leaves us with physical restrictions, like platform modifications, or power incompatibility. As mentioned earlier, 750vdc is the most common standard for new systems, while many older systems including the monorail run on 600vdc. If the restriction is physical, going line by line is easy as both trains can still share the same tracks into the barn. If the power is changing, going line by line would be a challenge as it would restrict access to the barn for either the old fleet or new fleet.

Either way, expect one prototype train to arrive first and require extensive testing. If the platforms are changing, this can easily be done on the Epcot beam at night, as no passengers would be getting on or off. If the power is changing, this could mean an extended shutdown of one beam, and the tractor would be required to move the prototype into the barn if required.

lazyboy97o

This would probably be more about accessibility and station modifications than power and automation. Something like power and automation would impact the ability to bring trains to the roundhouse.

I feel like Disney should be able to work a deal with Bombardier to use this fleet as their models for sales purposes. Outsource the maintenance, give Bombardier all the incentive to keep them in tip top shape, and let them bring big wigs and their families to Walt Disney World for their big sales pitches.
Why would Bombardier be interested in a model of their outdated monorail system? The Walt Disney World Monorail is the basis of their INNOVIA 200 monorail that has been superseded by the INNOVIA 300. The Las Vegas Monorail is already a more typical, Bombardier system that can serve as a model of the INNOVIA 200.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom