Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

msg7

The Automation System and age attributes to the lessened reliability, but, that doesn't make it "down for the majority of the time". It is still very reliable, but, also very tired.
I think the trains are in the mid 80% range for uptime. Its a far cry from "down a majority of the time", but its still a massive drop from the heyday. The issues with the monorails can be adequately discussed and shown with honesty and they don't really require the BS level we see all too often.

They look old, they are definitely falling in reliability, they are no longer adequate for the traffic flow, they have easily identifiable show issues that impact the look of the parks. No exaggeration needed.

Exactly... I exaggerated a bit too far lol... However, as you and Bender both said, the system is nowhere near as reliable as it used to be... 80% sounds about right for nowadays.... I believe on the Modern Marvels documentary they said 99.7% was the former statistic...

Bender123

Mine was meant to be taken as an exaggeration but as Bender said, the system is nowhere near as reliable as it used to be... 80% sounds about right for nowadays.... I believe on the Modern Marvels documentary they said 99.7% was the former statistic...

It was the former stat, but I am not sure if that's a system statistic or a train specific statistic. I am sure the system, overall, has 90% + uptime, but the individual trains have a lower rate.

s8film40

One big factor in downtimes is that Disney used to really work hard to minimize them even when problems came up. I’ve seen trains switched off with no noticeable delay at all. They’ve cycled broken trains without guests and not stopping in stations to avoid switching delays, parked trains on spur lines during rushes, done maintenance work on trains while they cycled, I even remember one time a manager approved allowing a train to cycle loading and unloading while being towed. Now sometimes even the slightest thing will shutdown the system. This greatly increases the impression that the monorails reliability has exponentially declined. It’s a little of both, these train have been in bad shape for a long time they’ve definitely declined, but it’s not the sudden thing that everyone thinks. We were calling them duck tape monorails back in the early 2000’s.

msg7

Not sure if this was already covered, but augmented reality may be installed on the new monorails.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...rails-might-include-augmented-reality-windows
Not my cup of tea... However, if they make it optional meaning that guests can use MDE or an app on their phone (similar to what Pokemon Go does) to look out the window and see things, go ahead....

As I have said previously, all I want is for them to keep the signature monorail experience.... (PSCOTD, Exterior Design, Possibly the same Spiel?) I don't think the Sorcerer Class bus prototype should be applied to the monorails....

Last edited:

s8film40

Not sure if this was already covered, but augmented reality may be installed on the new monorails.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...rails-might-include-augmented-reality-windows
I saw this earlier. I don’t really buy into this. It sounds expensive and factoring in that each train has 84 windows they would be looking at a little over 1000 of these total. Then you have consider the likelihood of vandalism. If (big if to me) this actually happens I wouldn’t expect it to last more than a few months to a year.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Not my cup of tea... However, if it's optional meaning that guests can use MDE or an app on their phone (similar to what Pokemon Go does) to look out the window and see things, go ahead....

As I have said previously, all I want is for them to keep the signature monorail experience.... (PSCOTD, Exterior Design, Possibly the same Spiel?) I don't think the Sorcerer Class bus prototype should be applied to the monorails....
I saw this earlier. I don’t really buy into this. It sounds expensive and factoring in that each train has 84 windows they would be looking at a little over 1000 of these total. Then you have consider the likelihood of vandalism. If (big if to me) this actually happens I wouldn’t expect it to last more than a few months to a year.

Well I can't be quoted on this because I haven't been to the parks in over 10 years, but what i figured to be a part of the monorail uniqueness is the semi-comfortable ride seeing beautiful landscapes of green (I sort of remember that). I would hate to see all that green hidden in favor of virtual reality.

msg7

Well I can't be quoted on this because I haven't been to the parks in over 10 years, but what i figured to be a part of the monorail uniqueness is the semi-comfortable ride seeing beautiful landscapes of green (I sort of remember that). I would hate to see all that green hidden in favor of virtual reality.

You hit the nail on the head with this one....

Kamikaze

Exactly... I exaggerated a bit too far lol... However, as you and Bender both said, the system is nowhere near as reliable as it used to be... 80% sounds about right for nowadays.... I believe on the Modern Marvels documentary they said 99.7% was the former statistic...

Based on a 14 hour operating day, 80% would mean the system is down for just a shade under (12 minutes to be exact) three hours every single day.

Would you care to revise that estimate?

msg7

Based on a 14 hour operating day, 80% would mean the system is down for just a shade under (12 minutes to be exact) three hours every single day.

Would you care to revise that estimate?
I wouldn't be surprised if on some days the monorail was down a combined 3 hours... However, on most days, it's probably down more like 1-1.5 hrs....

Goofyernmost

well then I hope the doors close so they can be seen

too soon?
1526322779068.png

s8film40

That whole 99% reliability thing is just a marketing technique. They started saying that back when they were marketing the monorails to cities. As several have pointed out when you do the math it takes some very significant downtimes to nudge that number to a point where it doesn’t sound good. However when monorails are relied on to move tens of thousands of people even minor downtimes can be a huge deal. A simple 30 minute delay when 30k people are trying to leave the MK can be a disaster.

Kamikaze

I wouldn't be surprised if on some days the monorail was down a combined 3 hours... However, on most days, it's probably down more like 1-1.5 hrs....

If you're combining the lines to get to that 3 hours, you have to multiply the hours of operation by 3. The numbers I was using are 1 line with a total outage of that line. If you're saying all three lines, then using the same 14 hour day you'd have 42 hours of operation total, which with a 3 hour downtime total would be about a 92-93% uptime. (Each 10% is 250 minutes or 4 hours plus).

Kamikaze

That whole 99% reliability thing is just a marketing technique. They started saying that back when they were marketing the monorails to cities. As several have pointed out when you do the math it takes some very significant downtimes to nudge that number to a point where it doesn’t sound good. However when monorails are relied on to move tens of thousands of people even minor downtimes can be a huge deal. A simple 30 minute delay when 30k people are trying to leave the MK can be a disaster.

Correct, which new trains would not necessarily fix, since they are confined to the same track that the current ones do. A different system is the real answer. Or a third method of transport from MK to TTC. A single Skyliner route would be interesting. No need for it to go the resorts, just one line meant to help move the crowds at open and close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom