Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think that ending the monorail altogether would be like changing the name of the resort to Bob Chapek World. It's a necessary part of the overall image. The gondola's are just another form of transportation to other sections of the resort. It's not the cost of the trains alone that prevented them for expanding the system, but the cost of the rails themselves.

It's the upkeep on those rails that tells me their days are numbered. Why the cost is so high for maintenance is beyond me, considering the legacy technology in use.

It'd be interesting to hear from either of you what exactly is that cost of the upkeep on the rails and how you came by that knowledge.

Robbiem

Thirty years sounds old but there are plenty of trains that age and older around the world.

Some tube trains on the London Underground are 50 years old and counting and Argentina had some trains on the Buenos Aires metro for 100 years until 2013

I’m not saying the monorail trains shouldn’t be replaced but they prob have a few more years left in them with good maintenance. Most trains are only replaced if it becomes cheaper to buy new than maintaining what you have

Brad Bishop

Thirty years sounds old but there are plenty of trains that age and older around the world.

Some tube trains on the London Underground are 50 years old and counting and Argentina had some trains on the Buenos Aires metro for 100 years until 2013

I’m not saying the monorail trains shouldn’t be replaced but they prob have a few more years left in them with good maintenance. Most trains are only replaced if it becomes cheaper to buy new than maintaining what you have
Notice that they only started doing "something" to the trains once doors started to pop open and pieces were falling off.

TrainsOfDisney

It probably would have been a good idea to “start from scratch” and completely update the system rather than do everything 1 piece at a time. Automated gates, automated trains, refurbish trains, etc.

If it was my design, I’d build a new “barn” for the Epcot loop and keep those trains isolated and only sent to the roundhouse for major maintenance.

Of course, I’d also expand the system to serve Studios and DAK and then loop back up to TTC. I still think it would be a great long term investment for Disney.

Brad Bishop

It probably would have been a good idea to “start from scratch” and completely update the system rather than do everything 1 piece at a time. Automated gates, automated trains, refurbish trains, etc.

If it was my design, I’d build a new “barn” for the Epcot loop and keep those trains isolated and only sent to the roundhouse for major maintenance.

Of course, I’d also expand the system to serve Studios and DAK and then loop back up to TTC. I still think it would be a great long term investment for Disney.

One thing I think would be neat, and it wouldn't be a huge change, is to have the Epcot and express lines cross just East of the TTC.

The idea being that you'd still have all of the same stations but the Epcot station would be straight to the MK (this would need to cross over a beam) and the current MK Express station would use the switch that exists now to just go to Epcot. The "win" here is that if you're going from the MK to Epcot or from Epcot to the MK you don't have to switch trains. You just stay on and it's always one stop past the TTC.

It'll never happen because it's cheaper to have people get off the MK line and get to the Epcot line and vise-versa.

TrainsOfDisney

One thing I think would be neat, and it wouldn't be a huge change, is to have the Epcot and express lines cross just East of the TTC.

The idea being that you'd still have all of the same stations but the Epcot station would be straight to the MK (this would need to cross over a beam) and the current MK Express station would use the switch that exists now to just go to Epcot. The "win" here is that if you're going from the MK to Epcot or from Epcot to the MK you don't have to switch trains. You just stay on and it's always one stop past the TTC.

It'll never happen because it's cheaper to have people get off the MK line and get to the Epcot line and vise-versa.
This would be very possible with automated switches. Actually a pretty good idea. You’d be swapping the Epcot and Express boarding stations.

KeithVH

And completely out of place on a multi-cultural discussion board. Truth be known when it is used in this way it is an effort to show how better culturally raised one is then other cultures. The word Faux is a more widely known word meaning fake are well known. Not unlike that last sentence. ;)
Oh no! Multi-culturalism!! Where anyone can be offended by something. IOW, I should dumb down my posts to the lowest common denominator in order to ensure others, who may not have the same level of information or knowledge, might not feel bad about that which they lack?

C'est la vie . . .

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, this is the WDW Park News, Rumors, and Current Events subforum.
Rumors are based on information not public yet. If they're not, they're simply suppositions and falsehoods.

"Wild guesses" isn't in the name of this subforum's title.

There's a lot of "educated guesses," which are fine when presented as such. But when someone says something to the effect that the monorail rail is very expensive to upkeep... it'd be nice to know if that's based on actual knowledge from someone somewhere, or, they just guessed wildly and presumed it to be true. Because when people do that unchallenged, than others reading thinks it's a fact and they repeat it. See above.

And that's how we wind up living in a factless society.

Goofyernmost

It'd be interesting to hear from either of you what exactly is that cost of the upkeep on the rails and how you came by that knowledge.
You will have to ask the other person, because I was responding to why they will never expand the monorail lines and how it is as much an identity for WDW as the mouse. The rails are old enough now after 40/50 years that they will need much more careful watching to make sure they are strong and like new. It wouldn't take much of a crack in that concrete for it to come a tumblin down cradle and all. I'm amazed that they haven't had to replace at least one section track.

Goofyernmost

Oh no! Multi-culturalism!! Where anyone can be offended by something. IOW, I should dumb down my posts to the lowest common denominator in order to ensure others, who may not have the same level of information or knowledge, might not feel bad about that which they lack?

C'est la vie . . .
I'm not offended, just totally unimpressed by your obscure "knowledge".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom