Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

jaxonp

No one is ever "in need" of an ECV, wheelchairs were fine for around 50 years before ECVs started to multiply in the parks at the same time loads of companies started renting them out in Orlando.

yes, they are truly ruining the experience at the park. It's amazing how little wheelchairs took over parks, ran over peoples feet and busted down monorails doors before... There should be stricter guidelines for using those in the parks. Not to mention how the slow transpiration ops down. Still, you don't see any of these at Paris, Shanghai, Hong Kong or Tokyo. Disneyland has them but they aren't very noticeable like they are at WDW. It's an epidemic in Orlando. Somebody is making a lot of money...

Incomudro

yes, they are truly ruining the experience at the park. It's amazing how little wheelchairs took over parks, ran over peoples feet and busted down monorails doors before... There should be stricter guidelines for using those in the parks. Not to mention how the slow transpiration ops down. Still, you don't see any of these at Paris, Shanghai, Hong Kong or Tokyo. Disneyland has them but they aren't very noticeable like they are at WDW. It's an epidemic in Orlando. Somebody is making a lot of money...
This is due to American culture.
I love my country, I'm a proud American etc.
But there is a cultural thing here in America where a certain portion of the population is quite willing to eat their way to handicapped immobility and is unashamed of it.
Japan and China - have cultures that are by and large healthier, and not averse to shame.

TOCPE82

Sure it is - worse.
An electric motored vehicle, that more often the not is carrying an adult of considerable mass vs. a foldable tubular frame usually carrying an infant or toddler.
You'd really have to hurl a stroller at a monorail door to damage that door. :jawdrop:

I was just referring to the attitude of the people, not the damage they could cause, haha!

jaxonp

This is due to American culture.
I love my country, I'm a proud American etc.
But there is a cultural thing here in America where a certain portion of the population is quite willing to eat their way to handicapped immobility and is unashamed of it.
Japan and China - have cultures that are by and large healthier, and not averse to shame.

Ya'll seen WallE? It's happening at WDW right now. Soon everyone will be scoot scoot scootin' around.

MickeyMinnieMom

I don't think they are a problem for those that truly need them.. Its the mass amounts of people, who likely do not need them, abusing them that is the problem. Not everyone needs those. Why are the park overrun in Orlando but not at other Disney parks across the globe?
I think the proliferation is due to some who don’t need them. But the problem is both those who do and do not need them, who do a poor job of controlling them in crowds - really, those being negligent in their use. Letting a child sit on their lap and “drive”. Looking to the left or right while going full steam ahead. Hitting someone and not even bothering to stop and see if they’re ok. I’ve seen all of these things many times. Had my daughter injured by one at the age of 10.

It really can be dangerous, and I do wish there were fewer of them, limited to those with legitimate need. But there are businesses, profit motive, sensitivities and practicalities around determining need, etc. It’s a fact of WDW life, but one I do occasionally lament as we dodge our way through busy parks.

And that’s my last non-monorail-only-tangentially-related post here! :)

ppete1975

They won't be, all it will do is to unnecessarily suppress the enjoyment of people that are concerned, even though no one has even been injured that we know of. Without the actual facts it is just people throwing out ideas about what is good or bad or fault or accident. We may never know, but, I can assure you that it will not put any speed on the purchase of new ones until they are ready to do it anyway.
or cause them to shut them down saying they are worried for customer safety and our looking at ordering and replacing them, but that will take 4-5 years. By then because we forgot to maintain the tracks, and nothing has ran on them for 4-5 years (ever see a parking lot abandoned for 2 years? imagine these things in 4-5), so they would have to be replaced so we have decided to turn them into a new attraction. Rocket rods florida- imagine a ride that isn't there but the track used will make you cry everytime you see it remembering what amazing thing it was replaced by.

Goofyernmost

or cause them to shut them down saying they are worried for customer safety and our looking at ordering and replacing them, but that will take 4-5 years. By then because we forgot to maintain the tracks, and nothing has ran on them for 4-5 years (ever see a parking lot abandoned for 2 years? imagine these things in 4-5), so they would have to be replaced so we have decided to turn them into a new attraction. Rocket rods florida- imagine a ride that isn't there but the track used will make you cry everytime you see it remembering what amazing thing it was replaced by.
In all seriousness, I think they are waiting to see how the Gondolas work use the excuse that the Monorails have become a safety issue along with being financially hindering and just stop the Monorail program altogether and take out the trains and the tracks, alter the monorail stations to accept Gondolas and that problem will be solved. They may have to take the heat for a while, but, if the Gondola's work, like I think they will it will just be a few grumblings from old timers and before long forgotten. People will still go to WDW, it just will be different then before. It already is way different then it was when I first went there in the early 80s, but, in spite of losing a lot of things that I thought were great back then... I still have continued to go. Sure the Monorails are iconic, but, so was TGMR, 20K, Horizon, Imagination, they are all either gone or made mediocre, but, people still show up and pay mega-bucks to be there.

The problem right now is people need to stop overreacting to every incident that happens before it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Every time a small incident/accident happens the sky is falling scream is just speeding along that decision. I understand the Disney has billions in profit so we all think it unreasonable that they haven't bought new ones yet. However, that same financial worth of the company is a huge incentive to make sure that they are safe. They have deep pockets and a negligence lawsuit can drain a whole lot of those dollars down pretty fast. So far, in spite of a few minor problems and one major accident that didn't involve any guests, it has been a pretty spotless record over the last 47 years. Also we need to keep in mind that there were probably a number of things that happened that we don't know about before social media provided instant and very seldom accurate immediate reaction.

Dr. Falls

In all seriousness, I think they are waiting to see how the Gondolas work use the excuse that the Monorails have become a safety issue along with being financially hindering and just stop the Monorail program altogether and take out the trains and the tracks, alter the monorail stations to accept Gondolas and that problem will be solved. They may have to take the heat for a while, but, if the Gondola's work, like I think they will it will just be a few grumblings from old timers and before long forgotten. People will still go to WDW, it just will be different then before. It already is way different then it was when I first went there in the early 80s, but, in spite of losing a lot of things that I thought were great back then... I still have continued to go. Sure the Monorails are iconic, but, so was TGMR, 20K, Horizon, Imagination, they are all either gone or made mediocre, but, people still show up and pay mega-bucks to be there.

The problem right now is people need to stop overreacting to every incident that happens before it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Every time a small incident/accident happens the sky is falling scream is just speeding along that decision. I understand the Disney has billions in profit so we all think it unreasonable that they haven't bought new ones yet. However, that same financial worth of the company is a huge incentive to make sure that they are safe. They have deep pockets and a negligence lawsuit can drain a whole lot of those dollars down pretty fast. So far, in spite of a few minor problems and one major accident that didn't involve any guests, it has been a pretty spotless record over the last 47 years. Also we need to keep in mind that there were probably a number of things that happened that we don't know about before social media provided instant and very seldom accurate immediate reaction.

I fear you're right. I suppose it goes without saying that many on these boards will be absolutely crushed if the monorails are replaced, but the average guest won't care. The gondolas will be shiny, new, flying ovens, but they're quirky enough that guests will still pay to cook in the Florida heat.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

I could see them one day keeping the resort/express monorail loop but removing the Epcot one

depends on future transportation options and how well the hot oven gondolas work

Incomudro

I too fear a day when the Monorail is replaced by Gondolas.
Gondolas passing through The Contemporary.
It's not a stretch of the imagination to imagine Disney's bean counters concluding that it's more cost effective to demo monorail beams, and replace them with towers and cables.
I cringe as I write this and wish that I didn't believe it to be true.

jt04

It's not a stretch of the imagination to imagine Disney's bean counters concluding that it's more cost effective to demo monorail beams, and replace them with towers and cables.

You don't have to worry. Although I think Gondolas at the CR is possible, it will be in addition to the monorail. And not inside. An existing building. Probably.

ppete1975

exactly, I'm glad I'm not the only person that sees the irony in people freaking out about every issue (we are doing more harm than good)
the only thing saving them is every commercial and ad of Disneyworld has had them. And its a huge selling point to the hotels.
AT the very least I could see the track being cut to just the hotels. Although that's quite a distance to epcot that I think gondolas would suck.

ppete1975

they wont demo them, they will just let them rot and remind you of what was.. ala rocket rodz or rods whatever it is

Rodan75

I think the proliferation is due to some who don’t need them. But the problem is both those who do and do not need them, who do a poor job of controlling them in crowds - really, those being negligent in their use. Letting a child sit on their lap and “drive”. Looking to the left or right while going full steam ahead. Hitting someone and not even bothering to stop and see if they’re ok. I’ve seen all of these things many times. Had my daughter injured by one at the age of 10.

It really can be dangerous, and I do wish there were fewer of them, limited to those with legitimate need. But there are businesses, profit motive, sensitivities and practicalities around determining need, etc. It’s a fact of WDW life, but one I do occasionally lament as we dodge our way through busy parks.

And that’s my last non-monorail-only-tangentially-related post here! :)

Elon Musk should get on this and make some auto-pilot ECVs that don't run into as many people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom