Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

montyz81

And yet the constant preaching about how easy and relaxing it is for "lazy" people to get around Disney and to the front of the line. I'm going to keep saying this until it sinks in. I truly hope that none of those that are constantly complaining and fabricating the problem with ECV use never find themselves in need of one. Payback will be hell on that one.
It is not about the need to use one really, it's about the attitude that these folks have when using them. It very much feels like people who use these feel entitled. IMO.

nace888

From what I heard, the cast members told the guests to pull onto the train slowly, even told them when to stop, from what I heard, the guest was not moving slowly nor did they stop. By the time the door made them stop, it was too late, and the door was popped free.

s8film40

From what I heard, the cast members told the guests to pull onto the train slowly, even told them when to stop, from what I heard, the guest was not moving slowly nor did they stop. By the time the door made them stop, it was too late, and the door was popped free.
That sounds about right. One thing I learned early on in Monorails was you put the ramp down and step way back. It's a very common issue, I even know of cast members getting reprimanded for getting run over by a scooter.

TOCPE82

It is not about the need to use one really, it's about the attitude that these folks have when using them. It very much feels like people who use these feel entitled. IMO.

It's no worse than people with strollers. And I say that as someone who regularly hoofs a stroller around. Rude is rude, strollers and ECVs just make it easier to notice.

s8film40

It's no worse than people with strollers. And I say that as someone who regularly hoofs a stroller around. Rude is rude, strollers and ECVs just make it easier to notice.
I mentioned this earlier but this is partly to blame on the scooter as well. Often times someone thinks it's set to turtle when it's actually on rabbit. It's not the most intuitive design to not have a variable throttle.

Incomudro

Sure it is - worse.
An electric motored vehicle, that more often the not is carrying an adult of considerable mass vs. a foldable tubular frame usually carrying an infant or toddler.
You'd really have to hurl a stroller at a monorail door to damage that door. :jawdrop:

Nubs70

This is also still not correct. One shouldn't just substitute velocity for acceleration (or in this case deceleration). By doing so you make the assumption that the ECV was decelerated by the door over the course of one second, which is obviously way too long. For a variety of reasons, we can estimate this at a tenth of a second. Your corrected force value would be about 8000 Newtons or about 1800 pounds, well short of the shearing strength of even a single grade 5 fastener which is something like 3600 pounds.

Note: I wouldn't pretend to be an expert at these matters but I just wanted to note that our group analysis needs improvement.
Did anyone include the mass driving the ECV?

Goofyernmost

Let me make this clear... I'd venture a guess and say that 90% of the people accused of having "attitude" would gladly give up that damn machine if they could. Have you ever been unable to stand or walk for long periods of time because of back, issue caused by accident, worn out cartridge due to old age, put on weight due to limited activity because of decreased mobilization. I'm here to go on record as saying that it sucks big time. None of you know if the people are in pain all the time or that they have been forced to curtail a lot of what they love to do because their body no longer works the way it once did. But, we sure do know how to stand in judgment, don't we! And they do feel entitled. They feel entitled to be able to walk all day like the rest of you. They feel entitled to flip a bird occasionally when the brain dead able bodied individual, step in front of a moving scooter because they didn't look to see if one was there. They feel entitled to be embarrassed and defensive when that machine gets away from them which is much easier to do then one would think. Accidents happen and there used to be a time when the humans gave other humans the benefit of the doubt instead of acting like they are entitled to not have to be around people with disabilities.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
so back to the idea of new monorails...if they add them, I wonder how much downtime there will be and if they need to do anything to the tracks in the meantime

s8film40

so back to the idea of new monorails...if they add them, I wonder how much downtime there will be and if they need to do anything to the tracks in the meantime
I would guess it would be comparable possibly less than the impact the automation had.

If they ordered trains similar to what they have now it shouldn’t be hard at all. If they upgrade the power it would probably complicate things a little more.

trainplane3

I would guess it would be comparable possibly less than the impact the automation had.

If they ordered trains similar to what they have now it shouldn’t be hard at all. If they upgrade the power it would probably complicate things a little more.
I still like to think that they'll go with floors that are flush with the station. But if they did, then they'll most likely have to widen the platforms and hopefully have a method to keep running the old ones in place (since there'd be a larger gap).

Rodan75

So I feel like based on Martin's hint yesterday, Trains have already been ordered and are in Queue somewhere or...Trains are not going to be ordered and they going to do something else (rebuild/remodel on their own), close down the system. Either way a decision has been made, it was made a bit ago and it just needs to be announced.

s8film40

I still like to think that they'll go with floors that are flush with the station. But if they did, then they'll most likely have to widen the platforms and hopefully have a method to keep running the old ones in place (since there'd be a larger gap).
I would like to see that also. They wouldn’t need to widen it just raise it or possibly redesign the height of the floor of the train.

I never really asked or heard what they did about the height difference during the Mark IV/VI transition.

JoeCamel

I would like to see that also. They wouldn’t need to widen it just raise it or possibly redesign the height of the floor of the train.

I never really asked or heard what they did about the height difference during the Mark IV/VI transition.
It is the drive wheels/tires that set the height right? (I don't know I am asking. How about if they rip off those 24s" and put some 20 on that rad ride? Should drop it flush with the platform, just need the doors not to drop down as they open.

dreski

OK so don't jump me but if a scooter was going fast enough to break the door off it would have flown out the opening. Scooters are not known for great stopping power so there is no way a person riding a scooter could smash into the door, break it off and not have the momentum have them out the on the ground. JMHO

peter11435

OK so don't jump me but if a scooter was going fast enough to break the door off it would have flown out the opening. Scooters are not known for great stopping power so there is no way a person riding a scooter could smash into the door, break it off and not have the momentum have them out the on the ground. JMHO
The scooter didn’t break the door off. The scooter damaged the door. The door fell while maintence was attempting to realign it.

Obobru

And yet the constant preaching about how easy and relaxing it is for "lazy" people to get around Disney and to the front of the line. I'm going to keep saying this until it sinks in. I truly hope that none of those that are constantly complaining and fabricating the problem with ECV use never find themselves in need of one. Payback will be hell on that one.
No one is ever "in need" of an ECV, wheelchairs were fine for around 50 years before ECVs started to multiply in the parks at the same time loads of companies started renting them out in Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom