New Monorail Crash Details

WDW Vacationer

I'm not as kind as you.
While not completely his fault, he takes a major share of the blame in Austin's death.
Personally, I'd prefer he has nothing to do with Disney ever again.
Sorry, that's my opinion.
How does he take a share in the blame? He was told to back up...he did. Do a search on youtube there is a video of Austin in the front cab with a family,when asked if he could see behind he said no.

Mr.EPCOT

How does he take a share in the blame? He was told to back up...he did. Do a search on youtube there is a video of Austin in the front cab with a family,when asked if he could see behind he said no.

The driver of Pink shares responsibility in the fact that he should have known that he was on the wrong beam. And, yes, you can see behind you to a degree. If the driver of Pink was watching as carefully as he should have, there's no way wouldn't have been been able to tell he was still on the EPCOT beam instead of the spur, and even failing that should've noticed that he was approaching the wrong side of the TTC station and that there was a train on the same beam just beyond. Hell, watching closely enough, you can tell what position the switch is in before you even get to it, even in your mirrors.

It's a driver's responsibility to be aware of everything that is going on around his train and act accordingly. As my drive trainer said ad nauseum: PAY ATTENTION!

degunter

Status

I have to agree that the crash is the responsibility of Pink's driver. Putting Pink on the wrong beam is the responsibility of the maintenance guy... but that in and of itself would not kill anyone. Pink's driver had plenty of time/space before the crash to realize he was on the wrong beam... if he had just been paying closer attention. Now, I am not saying he did it intentionally or anything... it was an accident... but he was in control of the train so the "crash" itself falls on him. I do not think there is anything criminal in his actions either though (from what I have heard/read).

With that said... has anyone heard the status of Pink and Purple? Any news about those trains?

Thanks!

montyz81

The procedure that should have been in place since 1982. Before leaving the station to put the monorail away, move to the back cab and drive from there. If that were the procedure, the driver would have stopped the train before even reach the station. So once of the spur line and back in the station on the express line, Change back to the other cab until in the Magic Kingdom Station and then move back to the other cab to put the Monorail in the shed. Having complete view would have prevented this problem.

SirGoofy

There's no reason for this thread to continue. Everything that could be said has been said. Let's let it go people. Let the people go on with their lives.

disney9752

Sorry to bump this issue, my mind went TOTALLY BLANK & search turned up waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much crap not even related to the incident. :shrug:

scotstu20000

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd do a quick post. I was just leaving the park that night - pretty shocking stuff. Anyway, my point is I am absolutely amazed that the train was even allowed to reverse with the driver at the "wrong" end. I work as a train driver in Scotland UK, and reversing a train like that would mean instant dismissal. Even if I was to overrun a platform by a few feet I am required to swap ends to reverse. This ruling was introduced after an accident many years ago ,very similar to the Monorail one. This is a basic operating principal of any railway, and I thought it was pretty much international. Obviously not. Anyway just thought I'd share it and hope all goes well for everyone involved.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Hi everyone. Just thought I'd do a quick post. I was just leaving the park that night - pretty shocking stuff. Anyway, my point is I am absolutely amazed that the train was even allowed to reverse with the driver at the "wrong" end. I work as a train driver in Scotland UK, and reversing a train like that would mean instant dismissal. Even if I was to overrun a platform by a few feet I am required to swap ends to reverse. This ruling was introduced after an accident many years ago ,very similar to the Monorail one. This is a basic operating principal of any railway, and I thought it was pretty much international. Obviously not. Anyway just thought I'd share it and hope all goes well for everyone involved.
On the Monorail at WDW, switching ends requires both ends being in the station. There is no access through the train from one end to the other.

CBOMB

Welcome to WDWmagic.

The policy use to be the driver would move from cab 1 to cab 6 swaping out ends of the monorail when switching on to another beam. You would have to shut the monorail down then reboot the system when you switched from the front to the rear. Evidently that was taking to long so that's when this new policy began.

The old policy was much safer. I really think they should revert to it.

board57796

Welcome to WDWmagic.

The policy use to be the driver would move from cab 1 to cab 6 swaping out ends of the monorail when switching on to another beam. You would have to shut the monorail down then reboot the system when you switched from the front to the rear. Evidently that was taking to long so that's when this new policy began.

We have. Absolutely no reversing through a switch, and no MAPO override in reverse.

s8film40

Welcome to WDWmagic.

There really isn't that much of a difference in time, at some point the driver has to switch ends. The only difference is whether the driver switches before or after going through the switch at some point the train has to back up there is no easy way of getting around this. This new policy only prevents the same exact accident from happening, a series of similar miscommunications and errors could always result in an accident in a different location. If this accident had happened past the switch while the driver was backing out to it they would probably be reversing this procedure to the way it was when the accident occurred. There is only one real solution to this problem quality people with quality training doing a quality job.

Rob562

There really isn't that much of a difference in time, at some point the driver has to switch ends. The only difference is whether the driver switches before or after going through the switch at some point the train has to back up there is no easy way of getting around this. This new policy only prevents the same exact accident from happening, a series of similar miscommunications and errors could always result in an accident in a different location. If this accident had happened past the switch while the driver was backing out to it they would probably be reversing this procedure to the way it was when the accident occurred. There is only one real solution to this problem quality people with quality training doing a quality job.

The main difference in the new(est) policy is that the MAPO Override is *not* used while the train is moving backwards. If there were an impending collision while the train was in reverse now, the MAPO system would stop the train. (i.e. if there were a train stopped beyond the spur switch, the reversing train would get a red MAPO and would automatically stop) The MAPO Override is now only used when the train is driving forward and the pilot can see where they're going.

-Rob

board57796

Hey Board...

..nice to see you back!

:wave:

The main difference in the new(est) policy is that the MAPO Override is *not* used while the train is moving backwards. If there were an impending collision while the train was in reverse now, the MAPO system would stop the train. (i.e. if there were a train stopped beyond the spur switch, the reversing train would get a red MAPO and would automatically stop) The MAPO Override is now only used when the train is driving forward and the pilot can see where they're going.

-Rob

Basically correct. Now, the only time we drive the train in reverse is "with the direction of normal travel." IE we can drive Epcot in reverse if its in the same clockwise motion as the other train(s) That way there is no MAPO override involved and the MAPO system works just as it would if we were driving in forward. Then MAPO override in forward through the switch to Express. It's VERY RARE now for a Monorail to reverse in the opposite direction of the beams normal travel, and definitely not if it requires MAPO override to do so. No way.

TinkRBell427

Why was the manager off property for break? I guess I never looked at my managers break times to see how much time they actually get for lunch/dinner, but I would think leaving property to get dinner at Perkins would take too much time. Front line cast members only get 30 minutes, even when scheduled for 12 or more hours(because they add in another 15 minute break or two somewhere). If you can go off property and get back in 30, that's great, but highly unlikely.
I'm not at all saying he was responsible for anything, I'm just baffled by the fact that he was off property for break, only for travel distance/time purposes. :brick:

montyz81

Wow! I am just amazed that those nose cones could not absorb more of the impact. I know there isn't allot between the front and the pilot podium, but there has to be better protection against accidents like this and not just the safety procedures. I know the monorail safety procedures have worked for 37 years. That does not account at all for the loss of life. There has to be a way to design these things while maintaining that classic shape! Good safe designs with good safety procedures are the type of redundant safety that need to be built into this system!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom