New modern day costumes coming to American Adventure?

alissafalco

Admittedly, this is an off-topic tangent, but I've seen a lot of huge Ralph Lauren logos recently in the World. I saw lots of polos with gigantic logos, bigger than the ones on the Olympics uniform. The only people I saw wearing them spoke a language I don't understand, so I figured it was a European or Latin/South American thing. I don't know anyone in real life who wears Ralph Lauren, so I haven't the slightest idea whether some Americans also romp around with the huge logos on their chest.

Everyone I know wears the very small logo.

Kuhio

I've seen shirts with those huge Polo logos elsewhere in the U.S., being worn by Americans. I initially thought it was some kind of parody of a Polo shirt -- I mean, the logos take up a ridiculous chunk of the front of the shirt. It's like something you'd see in a satirical movie, but apparently they're for real.

I don't know where you'd buy them, though -- I haven't seen them in stores anywhere. It's possible they're worn by Americans who bought them abroad while on vacation.

Prototype82

Is it guaranteed that the AA costumes would be for the Voices of Liberty as well? I'd be somewhat okay with the costume change if some very tasteful tuxedos and ballgowns were the costumes for the show. Somewhat...

Clever Name

Yes, Clever Name. America knew many insitutions that are considered painful nowadays. But the way you go about it you are dangerously close to being disrespectful not just to modern America, but to the victims of slavery itself. It's a touchy subject, not well suited for frivolous mocking about.
I am mocking nothing. I can't say the same for the content of The American Experience. It is a lie. It does not honestly deal with the way the Unitied States was actually built. I mentioned the Declaration of Independence as an example. Have you ever read some of those drafts by Jefferson that are on the floor in The American Experience? Do you know their subject matter?

Jefferson wanted to address slavery in the Declaration of Independence but was forced to remove all mention of slavery so as not to upset the southern colonies. It's helpful to read the drafts and the subject matter that didn't make it into the Declaration of Independence.

DznyRktekt

I am mocking nothing. I can't say the same for the content of The American Experience. It is a lie. It does not honestly deal with the way the Unitied States was actually built. I mentioned the Declaration of Independence as an example. Have you ever read some of those drafts by Jefferson that are on the floor in The American Experience? Do you know their subject matter?

Jefferson wanted to address slavery in the Declaration of Independence but was forced to remove all mention of slavery so as not to upset the southern colonies. It's helpful to read the drafts and the subject matter that didn't make it into the Declaration of Independence.

You should start by reading the attraction sign or guide map. It is called The American Adventure.

maxairmike

This is not a history teacher's/enthusiast forum, and although I do consider myself well enough versed in our country's history and do have an interest in it, this is not the proper place for it. I don't need a controversial history lesson here.

Clever Name

You start by reading the attraction sign or guide map. It is called The American Adventure.
The sign is wrong because it is really the United States of America Adventure. The American Adventure could refer to the entire north and south American continents. The term "American" is a rather recent invention and is geopolitical in nature.

Clever Name

This is not a history teacher's/enthusiast forum, and although I do consider myself well enough versed in our country's history and do have an interest in it, this is not the proper place for it. I don't need a controversial history lesson here.
Slavery is not a controversial topic. It is an historical fact in the USA and should be dealt with as such. I think it odd that "The American Experience" tends to gloss over the subject as though it is just a minor and incidental part of USA history. It really deserves a more detailed examination in the content of the program IMO.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Slavery is not a controversial topic. It is an historical fact in the USA and should be dealt with as such. I think it odd that "The American Experience" tends to gloss over the subject as though it is just a minor and incidental part of USA history. It really deserves a more detailed examination in the content of the program IMO.

That could be because the attraction is not trying to teach every aspect of American (or United States', if you prefer) history. I think that it has something to do with the fact it's part of a pavilion located inside a theme park.....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So does the Germany pavilion need to have a detailed account of what the Nazis did to the Jews? That type of stuff is best suited for places dedicated to the preservation of History, not a theme park dedicated to fun.

Clever Name

That could be because the attraction is not trying to teach every aspect of American (or United States', if you prefer) history. I think that it has something to do with the fact it's part of a pavilion located inside a theme park.....
Jefferson had to compromise when he wrote the Declaration of Independence and remove all references to slavery so as not to offend the southern colonies. I suppose Disney had to compromise on their message too for some of the same reasons. Admittedly, Disney's job is to entertain, not to teach history.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Jefferson had to compromise when he wrote the Declaration of Independence and remove all references to slavory so as not to offend the southern colonies. I suppose Disney had to compromise on their message too for some of the same reasons. Admittedly, Disney's job is to entertain, not to teach history.

Not many theme parks are geared towards the teaching of all aspects of history, good or bad. Best to let this idea fall by the wayside......

Animaniac93-98

The Hall of Presidents went all "slavery focused" in 1993 and was worse off because of it.

You can't tell 400 years of American (or any) history in 30 minutes. Some things will be glanced over, while others will not be given very thorough coverage. I think the show does an excellent job of covering the right subjects, for the right length, in the right way. To me, the show has an appropirate amount of highs and lows, without being overly critical for a pro-American exhibit, or too obnoxious in its praise.

While I know its been criticized for a variety of opposite reasons, I think such things just come with the subject matter. You can't please everyone.

Prototype82

The sign is wrong because it is really the United States of America Adventure. The American Adventure could refer to the entire north and south American continents. The term "American" is a rather recent invention and is geopolitical in nature.
You know, The United States of America Adventure really rolls off the tongue smoothly. Pretty catchy. You're a clever one. And to think all this time they had the wrong name on the sign and Disney never even knew it! Holy crap. What if Space Mountain is actually Slash Mountain?! It's a conspiracy!

jakeman

So does the Germany pavilion need to have a detailed account of what the Nazis did to the Jews? That type of stuff is best suited for places dedicated to the preservation of History, not a theme park dedicated to fun.
Just to prevent this from being Godwin'd, I was going to say Japan during WWII. Or China, pretty much all the time. Or the debitor's prison in the late 1700's for UK. Or the the Reign of Terror in post-Revolution France. Or the French oppression of the Moroccans. Or the fact that Italy hasn't had a stable government for more than 25 years at a time. Or the barbarism of the Vikings in Norway. Or the current drug cartel problem in Mexico.

Is the World Showcase a celebration or a history lesson of each countries shortcomings? Because every country has them.

The Hall of Presidents went all "slavery focused" in 1993 and was worse off because of it.
As a Southern, I agree. There is no denying that slavery was one of the main causes for the Civil War and that slaves were a major driver of the Southern economy, but to have that continuously thrown in your face for 45 minutes that the area of the country that you identify with is the root cause of almost every single problem the US has ever had is a little much. Especially, when you can identify with the positive aspects of Southern culture without having to be a proponent of slavery.

Prototype82

And even though it's supposed to entertain and inform, it doesn't mean it has to bombard guests with controversy. Your point is absolutely valid. Let's not forget that the WWII segment is what stopped "Meet the World" from coming to the Japan Pavilion. (Or so that's the reason they gave)

The Empress Lilly

Goodness gracious. This is a forum about a family theme park. We don't need to go over every sordid detail of Britain's imperialist past, or Germany's 20th century Sonderweg, or the lack of a reference to seal clubbing in the Canada movie. There are forums better suited for that.

Unless you want to discuss the crime against humanity that is Norwegian 'cuisine'...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom