New modern day costumes coming to American Adventure?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Tour-Guide.jpg

Yankee Mouse

Speaking of saying things elsewhere in the thread... (LOL :D) the key here is not that these are unattractive or don't flatter the CMs. The key is that the costumes at each attraction or in each land are themed to match the environment. While it may be true that the pavilions are supposed to represent places and not times, in this case, the pavilion is undoubtedly set in a very specific time and the new costumes, flattering or not, are out of place. I think that is the general "complaint" with these. Sure it's great to put the CMs into more practical costumes or modernize where appropriate but if it conflicts with overall presentation of where the CMs are standing, it becomes confusing.

That isn't entirely true. Mexico and Italy come to mind. The Mexico building is based on a Mayan temple but the CM's wear traditional 19th century Mexican costumes. In Italy they don't wear Renaissance era costumes, despite all the buildings representing that time. No one has complained about those inconsistencies over all these years. Why not? Overall I think the arguments about the costumes and the theme are overblown. Is the theme ruined when you go into AA and look at the museum pieces which include a moon rock from the Apollo program? The colonial building is just one aspect of the american adventure.

While I don't like the new costumes I don't think the changes are really that big a deal and they really don't ruin the theme for me. I would still like to see the Fife and Drum and Voices of Liberty in the colonial costumes though.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone know what, if anything, happened to CM Lonnie for leaking this information and taking the stance that he did?

It would be a shame to lose such a great CM, but I can't imagine that Disney just shrugged off his statements.

He is still at AA doing a stirling job

The Empress Lilly

The Voices of Liberty celebrating EPCOT's history with a performance at the American pavilion for EPCOT's 30th:
P1320802.jpg

The Voices of Liberty performing at Disneyland. Oh well, I guess this is what we mean when we say that DL is the far superior experience:

dl306_046.jpg

Yankee Mouse

The Voices of Liberty celebrating EPCOT's history with a performance at the American pavilion for EPCOT's 30th:

The Voices of Liberty performing at Disneyland. Oh well, I guess this is what we mean when we say that DL is the far superior experience:

To be fair they have worn those outfits before when singing in special ceremonies, so those outfits aren't directly related to the recent change :

NT01VoicesOfLiberty.jpg

FlagRetreat3.jpg

0.jpg

voices-of-liberty.jpg

In addition, why would they wear colonial costumes for a re-dedication of Epcot?

The Empress Lilly

To be fair they have worn those outfits before when singing in special ceremonies, so those outfits aren't directly related to the recent change :
In addition, why would they wear colonial costumes for a re-dedication of Epcot?
To me, the question is: why would the VoL wear the boring, plain, and frankly ugly costumes? Or, why not let them wear their everyday clothes? Or their gardening clothes?

One dresses them up, because a Disney park is theater. Because patriotic songs in historical costumes makes for great show. At the museum, or at the inauguration of a president, singers wear contemporary outfits. In the theater, they do not.

The point of the comparison with DL is that when the VoL travel to the Westcoast, their ugly modern outfits stay in Orlando. In Disneyland, they request the Voices of Liberty wear their superb historical costumes. Simply because at DL they understand a Disney park is theater, and that costumes are cool.

Tom

Beta Return
The Voices of Liberty are currently still wearing the regular colonial outfits.

Yay!

Of Course dear though I'm not always trolling on this site, sometimes I actually add to the conversation it just depends on what is being said and if there are victims screaming for attention.

Oh thank God. I was worried we were down a troll. I'm not sure Clever Name has it in him to post incessant nonsense on behalf of himself AND others.

Yankee Mouse

To me, the question is: why would the VoL wear the boring, plain, and frankly ugly costumes? Or, why not let them wear their everyday clothes? Or their gardening clothes?

One dresses them up, because a Disney park is theater. Because patriotic songs in historical costumes makes for great show. At the museum, or at the inauguration of a president, singers wear contemporary outfits. In the theater, they do not.

The point of the comparison with DL is that when the VoL travel to the Westcoast, their ugly modern outfits stay in Orlando. In Disneyland, they request the Voices of Liberty wear their superb historical costumes. Simply because at DL they understand a Disney park is theater, and that costumes are cool.

I am pretty sure they don't travel and it is a different set of individuals. Of course that doesn't really matter.

I guess I misread your initial post, it seemed like you were saying that the contemporary outfits they were wearing in that picture was their new costumes and would be the new standard now that the colonial costumes have been removed from the pavilion. I simply pointed out that they had worn these before for special occasions, and WDW fan reported that this was indeed the case as the VoL are still wearing their colonial costumes when singing at AA.

So, If I understand the argument quoted above correctly, you are saying the VoL should always wear colonial costumes when they are singing in WDW, no matter where they are or what the reason because that is part of the "theater?" One of those pictures looked like it was in front of the castle in MK. I am sorry but that doesn't make sense.

VoL in DL is still relatively new (April according to the disney parks blog) but based on the precedence set in Orlando I would think that when they sing at special events, like a 30th re-dedication, they would not wear the 19th century costumes, and would wear something more contemporary. I am of course making an assumption with that because when I searched for pictures of them in DL I did not see them outside of the Main Street Opera House, and I don't know if they have sung at special events like the WDW group has.

edit* In fact as I looked further it turns out the DL VoL was only supposed to be a temporary summer addition to the park, but has been extended through the holiday season. So they may not even be there in the spring.

another edit* I stand corrected about how they dress when singing outside the parks. Here is a picture of them at D23 Presents Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum. I would be interested to know then who makes the decisions about where they wear their costumes and where they wear the more contemporary ones they wore in the pictures I posted above.
349274_t607.JPG

The Empress Lilly

the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum.

I would be interested to know then who makes the decisions about where they wear their costumes and where they wear the more contemporary ones they wore in the pictures I posted above.
349274_t607.JPG
Just look at them! All pretty, all done up! Great pic, great research, thanks for that.
That old Republican Walt would no doubt be proud to hear them sing their patriotic Disney songs at the Ronald Reagan library. ;)

The rule of thumb for 'when and where do the VoL wear the gorgeous classic costumes' seems to be: everywhere they perform in America, except in clueless Disneyworld.

Yankee Mouse

The rule of thumb for 'when and where do the VoL wear the gorgeous classic costumes' seems to be: everywhere they perform in America, except in clueless Disneyworld.

That actually isn't true. There are multiple pictures of them performing outside of disney venues in contemporary attire.

even more interesting as I look at more pictures online, is that they don't even wear colonial costumes. They wear 19th century costumes which, getting back on topic of the thread, should further ruin the theme that so many claimed the new costumes have done. How can they wear 19th century costumes when the building is built in a colonial theme?

wdwfan22

Just look at them! All pretty, all done up! Great pic, great research, thanks for that.
That old Republican Walt would no doubt be proud to hear them sing their patriotic Disney songs at the Ronald Reagan library. ;)

That's not true at all they perform outside of Walt Disney world all the time wearing there contemporary outfits. 90% of the time if they are performing outside of Disney they will be wearing the special event attire.

Minnie1976

I don't know if you would even call these costumes. I would call them ugly. I've heard the reasons for this new getup, but the old costumes I was told went to the Hall of Presidents. So the reasons for these ugly outfits if you add 1 and 1 don't add up to 2. I'm also posting the Fife and Drum Corp.
DSC01857.jpg
DSC01256.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom