New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

I wasn't aware it would be open at all times. I thought the pathway would be used as it is now, random and for crowds. Pretty sure it's been stated in here it wasn't meant to be open at all times but if that's true then I agree they should do a better job. If it's not, I'm not that upset it's not going to be super themed. It's simply a bypass.

wogwog

I wasn't aware it would be open at all times. I thought the pathway would be used as it is now, random and for crowds. Pretty sure it's been stated in here it wasn't meant to be open at all times but if that's true then I agree they should do a better job. If it's not, I'm not that upset it's not going to be super themed. It's simply a bypass.
This. Random as needed dictated by the crowd.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You might call it bad show, but its functionality that alleviates the crush of people amplified by less than nimble strollers and personal mobility devices. It doesn't have the street car rails, curbs, lamp posts, or merchandising people to slow down, stop or impeded those guests behind them. The items that people are clamoring for would defeat or decrease the efficacy of this solution to the exit problem.

wogwog

I occasionally do some project work at WDW and have been able to see the bypass work in progress or lack of progress if you will several times. It is in the 13th or so month now. Slow, but it will eventually look a lot better than before but still a bypass. Functional, clean, lighted and welcomed by those who just want a way around the crowds. I was impressed a few days ago that a crew was actually hand painting the brick work on the back of the Main St. buildings replacing the plain boring sold one color walls. The vegetation and decorative fencing for the planters is welcome and they are presently finishing the giant gates that will switch the area from utilitarian delivery function to the controlled bypass function as needed. If you are in the park you can see some of the painted brick work from the area between Plaza Restaurant and Tomorrowland Terrace even if the bypass is not open. Looks better than the plain walls visible after they ripped out the big tree that had blocked the ugly view for decades. I still don't understand the slow progress, but I am not a construction person, but the end result is near and it will be an improvement.

RSD Part Deux

The bypass was open last week. The entrance was by the baby care center. It was open when I was heading to Adventureland during the first MSEP. It wasn't open after the parade on my way back.

MissM

The bypass was open last week. The entrance was by the baby care center. It was open when I was heading to Adventureland during the first MSEP. It wasn't open after the parade on my way back.
That is a different bypass. I've been on that side as well in the past for New Year's but that side is not normally open.

The bypass that is being discussed here in this thread goes from the area between the Tomorrowland Terrace/Plaza Restaurant and lets out between Le Chapeau and the Town Square Theater.

ETA: orange line is extremely vague approximation

bypass.jpg

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

We're referring to Main Street East bypass. (Tomorrowland side)

The Main Street west gates being open is a new thing. (AdLib side)

In ten years, I can only say it was used for crowd diversion a handful of times until this winter & the castle lighting shows.

PhotoDave219

That is a different bypass. I've been on that side as well in the past for New Year's but that side is not normally open.

The bypass that is being discussed here in this thread goes from the area between the Tomorrowland Terrace/Plaza Restaurant and lets out between Le Chapeau and the Town Square Theater.

ETA: orange line is extremely vague approximation

bypass.jpg

No that's pretty accurate

NearTheEars

I occasionally do some project work at WDW and have been able to see the bypass work in progress or lack of progress if you will several times. It is in the 13th or so month now. Slow, but it will eventually look a lot better than before but still a bypass. Functional, clean, lighted and welcomed by those who just want a way around the crowds. I was impressed a few days ago that a crew was actually hand painting the brick work on the back of the Main St. buildings replacing the plain boring sold one color walls. The vegetation and decorative fencing for the planters is welcome and they are presently finishing the giant gates that will switch the area from utilitarian delivery function to the controlled bypass function as needed. If you are in the park you can see some of the painted brick work from the area between Plaza Restaurant and Tomorrowland Terrace even if the bypass is not open. Looks better than the plain walls visible after they ripped out the big tree that had blocked the ugly view for decades. I still don't understand the slow progress, but I am not a construction person, but the end result is near and it will be an improvement.

Sorry, you must be mistaken. All other reports say it will be an unthemed slum that will be open 24 hours and will require a Fastpass+ reservation. ;)

The Visionary Soul

Backstage, on-stage... no one cares what you call it. If there are some managers that think it's backstage or on-stage, that's their problem. The truth of the matter is that they want it to be both... and that's not really a sound business plan. It really needs to just be onstage, but as an arcade, like in Paris. This project has budget cuts written all over it. The project could have addressed much more as well...

Like the need to expand the shops and Starbucks on that side of Main Street and have them all accessible from the backside arcade. To add an employee counter in the back of the Starbucks so cast members can buy coffee during their breaks. (I have a friend who works there who complains to me about that all the time, evidently she's not the only one to complain about that too) To remove the current Plaza Restaurant build a new ice cream parlor there, and turn the existing ice cream parlor into a shared seating area for the Starbucks and the Ice Cream Parlor. To turn the Tomorrowland Terrace into a proper Plaza Restaurant. (That fast food location isn't used much as it is, and you could build a new patio area for that Wishes Dessert Party.) To build new Restrooms to replace the ones between the current Plaza Restaurant and the Tomorrowland Terrace. Nothing happening in this project makes any sense except as a cheap temporary fix.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I don't understand taking a simple bypass and combining it with other ideas and expansions. I agree the bypass should be "themed" to feel like your still in the Magic Kingdom & onstage. But adding shops, food, etc does not make sense. Unless they did this to both sides of Main Street and still minimally. The whole idea is to help guests BYPASS Main Street and get out of the park. If you want to shop or eat, go down Main Street.

Simplicity in walking paths is part of the success to handling large crowds effectively. If you don't like the idea of a finished bypass, then walk with the masses down Main Street. You don't have to rush out of the parks if you don't want to, you can shop, eat and linger for a long time past closing if desired.

The Visionary Soul

I don't understand taking a simple bypass and combining it with other ideas and expansions. I agree the bypass should be "themed" to feel like your still in the Magic Kingdom & onstage. But adding shops, food, etc does not make sense. Unless they did this to both sides of Main Street and still minimally. The whole idea is to help guests BYPASS Main Street and get out of the park. If you want to shop or eat, go down Main Street.

Simplicity in walking paths is part of the success to handling large crowds effectively. If you don't like the idea of a finished bypass, then walk with the masses down Main Street. You don't have to rush out of the parks if you don't want to, you can shop, eat and linger for a long time past closing if desired.
Tell me why it doesn't. It rains a heck of a lot in Florida. Having interior walkways would be great. Having them always open is even better. Having them connected to the existing shops on Main Street would also be highly profitable. Not seeing where this a bad idea at all.

NearTheEars

Tell me why it doesn't. It rains a heck of a lot in Florida. Having interior walkways would be great. Having them always open is even better. Having them connected to the existing shops on Main Street would also be highly profitable. Not seeing where this a bad idea at all.

I know I keep trying to convey this, but the only reason they are even opening this bypass up is 100% for crowd flow. Not for sales. Not to create new themed streets. Not to open up more store frontage.
Crowd flow.

It's awesome that DLP has great arcades. This bypass is not an arcade. It's a bypass. It's right in the name.
You are bypassing Main Street, where the shops, and huge crowds are.

Again, for crowd flow.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know I keep trying to convey this, but the only reason they are even opening this bypass up is 100% for crowd flow. Not for sales. Not to create new themed streets. Not to open up more store frontage.
Crowd flow.

It's awesome that DLP has great arcades. This bypass is not an arcade. It's a bypass. It's right in the name.
You are bypassing Main Street, where the shops, and huge crowds are.

Again, for crowd flow.

You are missing his point. That this was an OPPORTUNITY and by sticking to the 'its just a bypass' justification as you defend... the company can only achieve that much.

If you never aim high, you'll never reach it either.

ToTBellHop

As it stands at the moment it is still classed as backstage.

Once complete it will be onstage.
Like the magical onstage portapotties that will come out in a few weeks.
You are missing his point. That this was an OPPORTUNITY and by sticking to the 'its just a bypass' justification as you defend... the company can only achieve that much.

If you never aim high, you'll never reach it either.
Exactly. And let's be honest, no one was even proposing that this include attractions. Just a nice walkway with more shops and dining to increase profitability. It is sad that the company is so fearful of spending that they avoid projects that would actually make money long term. The current thinking is only short term, presumably because the people in charge don't plan to still be in charge in ten years, so who cares? This is why the only real projects we get anymore are those necessitated by crowds (more potties and concrete) or demanded by folks out in Cali. Thus, you have a park like DAK getting big-budget projects Cali called for, smaller scale updates to allow for planned crowd increases, but other glaring issues remain on the existing rides. Let's build impressive Navi animatronics but allow a pterodactyl on a hanger to stay broken for a decade.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Except for those times when people are told that they are not allowed to continue to Main Street, USA. And what about other times besides the very end of the day like the during the stupid little parade things or the day time parade?

ToTBellHop

Except for those times when people are told that they are not allowed to continue to Main Street, USA. And what about other times besides the very end of the day like the during the stupid little parade things or the day time parade?
And when bored Presidents stop by.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes

If the option isn't given then that is different. And if you don't like the stupid parades and all things Disney, go to Universal. Disney is about the experience of taking all of it in and not just rushing to the nearest attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom