New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

I'm simply advocating something much more, and if they can't or WONT do that, then put something in place that will encourage the crowd leaving to keep moving. We can agree to diagree or at least I can.
Except that this is not something available to just those leaving. Those forced in will just try to turn around and head back into the park, annoyed that they were pushed aside from their desired destination by Disney.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
If Disney is dumb enough to pull this move (thus forcing individuals who might want to still spend the remaining dollar or two in their pockets before exiting) there will be that many more individuals who will be annoyed enough to take their money elsewhere in the future.

Cesar R M

I don't understand taking a simple bypass and combining it with other ideas and expansions. I agree the bypass should be "themed" to feel like your still in the Magic Kingdom & onstage. But adding shops, food, etc does not make sense. Unless they did this to both sides of Main Street and still minimally. The whole idea is to help guests BYPASS Main Street and get out of the park. If you want to shop or eat, go down Main Street.

Simplicity in walking paths is part of the success to handling large crowds effectively. If you don't like the idea of a finished bypass, then walk with the masses down Main Street. You don't have to rush out of the parks if you don't want to, you can shop, eat and linger for a long time past closing if desired.
they could always go the Animal Kingdom way, very small souvenir karts for last second offerings.

Cesar R M

This is what it should look like. Bypass - yes, Weather protection - yes, Store Access - yes, Restaurant Access - yes, Themed to Main St - Oh yes!
DLP%2520Main%2520ST%2520Arcade%252001.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252002.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252003.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252004.jpg
looks a bit too.. tight for crowd clearing, but we get your idea.

Kman101

Why are people getting upset over what COULD be? They aren't. It sucks they aren't but are we surprised? It's a bypass. A simple bypass to get people through. Yes they missed an opportunity but that's never what it was meant to be. It was meant to be a simple bypass that was mildly themed to look nicer. That's all. No one but us on here cares that it won't be the arcades in Paris. No one stands around back there and discusses how awful it was to see *gasp* backstage.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Why are people getting upset over what COULD be? They aren't. It sucks they aren't but are we surprised? It's a bypass. A simple bypass to get people through. Yes they missed an opportunity but that's never what it was meant to be. It was meant to be a simple bypass that was mildly themed to look nicer. That's all. No one but us on here cares that it won't be the arcades in Paris. No one stands around back there and discusses how awful it was to see *gasp* backstage.

Sad & True.

Little Green Men

Except experience with DLP proves otherwise, to say nothing of changes that could be made to improve efficiency or design with an equivalent (not necessarily copy) for WDW.

If all people want is a quick exit, then I go back to my previous post of "why bother?" If "guest don't care and just want to get out" then why waste even a cent on paint, lamposts, posters and planters?
Doesn't MK see many more visitors than DLP, though?

Jon81uk

This is what it should look like. Bypass - yes, Weather protection - yes, Store Access - yes, Restaurant Access - yes, Themed to Main St - Oh yes!
DLP%2520Main%2520ST%2520Arcade%252001.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252002.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252003.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252004.jpg

That's not a bypass though, it is an arcade. The bypass is to avoid everything else and get people moving quickly. The arcade offers the opportunity to stop as well as having tables that slow people down. If they built the arcade then the Magic Kingdom may still need a bypass to avoid the slow people in the arcade!

NormC

I can see both sides of this. The DLP arcades are great. If they built two of them and called them East and West Main street with access to a selection of shops, maybe not all shops it could work. It would be beautiful. Just one however with additional shops and dining would not work as a bypass which it is intended to be as people would be drawn to the different shops and dining experiences.

Animaniac93-98

Doesn't MK see many more visitors than DLP, though?

Doesn't really matter when a similar mass of people are trying to exit the park post-fireworks. The hub is still packed shoulder-to-shoulder when Dreams ends, but traffic in the arcades is fine because they are used primarily as an alternative for people to get up and down MS faster. It's just not their only function.

righttrack

I agree something must be done. But something DISNEY must be done!

They have created this problem. They turned MK into the night spot based on the operating hours they choose to run it during. I personally think if they made World Showcase hours until 11 and maybe 12 or 1 on weekends you'd solve this problem without the need for this exit. Why must the most adult-oriented part of the parks close at 9pm?

Jon81uk

I agree something must be done. But something DISNEY must be done!

They have created this problem. They turned MK into the night spot based on the operating hours they choose to run it during. I personally think if they made World Showcase hours until 11 and maybe 12 or 1 on weekends you'd solve this problem without the need for this exit. Why must the most adult-oriented part of the parks close at 9pm?

As once you've had dinner and watched IllumiNations there simply isn't enough attractions at Epcot (particularly World Showcase) to warrant a really long day. Magic Kingdom has the longest hours and the highest number of attractions, you can spend 12-14 hours in the park and only just see everything. At Epcot it is hard just to fill the 12hrs let alone a longer opening.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If Disney is dumb enough to pull this move (thus forcing individuals who might want to still spend the remaining dollar or two in their pockets before exiting) there will be that many more individuals who will be annoyed enough to take their money elsewhere in the future.

They already ARE, If you are in the hub nearest Tomorrowland you WILL be forced out the new bypass.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The trouble with this supposed bypass is after wishes is over if you are in the quadrant of the hub nearest Tomorowland you are FORCED to use this so called bypass as the crowd control CM's rope off the path back to Main St.

So If this was a quick way out that you could take as an option it might not be so bad, But now all you need to do is stand in the WRONG place and your trip down Main St after the fireworks is now impossible.

So your day at the MK ends with a distinctly unmagical touch.

raymusiccity

Pl

Please post pictures here

My cell phone doesn't take pictures too well at night. We were ushered into the Main St bypass the evening of 08/11/14. The brighter balcony structure had the 'security' signs on it and we were told to stop taking any photos. The row of potted plants reminded me of a similar lineup at EPCOT when they were building the new Puerto Rico food kiosk. Not too magical, but, better than nothing. :) We thought it was actually pretty neat to be able to get an unanticipated peek behind the scenes. I had no idea that there we're walk-in coolers and a lot of other support machinery sitting out in the open. I can appreciate why they need to theme this better, just from a safety standpoint.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

righttrack

As once you've had dinner and watched IllumiNations there simply isn't enough attractions at Epcot (particularly World Showcase) to warrant a really long day. Magic Kingdom has the longest hours and the highest number of attractions, you can spend 12-14 hours in the park and only just see everything. At Epcot it is hard just to fill the 12hrs let alone a longer opening.

Ummm drinking around the world? Barhopping? We always go back to Epcot to eat, then what? They close it down. It's the best place to eat dinner but you can only hang around until 9. They don't have to keep all of the attractions open. Just keep Test Track, Soarin, Spaceship Earth and World Showcase. I think you'd see people finish out their night there rather than zip back over to MK and thus lighten the load.

note2001

Ummm drinking around the world? Barhopping? We always go back to Epcot to eat, then what? They close it down. It's the best place to eat dinner but you can only hang around until 9. They don't have to keep all of the attractions open. Just keep Test Track, Soarin, Spaceship Earth and World Showcase. I think you'd see people finish out their night there rather than zip back over to MK and thus lighten the load.

We don't drink/barhop but in general, we're a night family and in summer particularly, touring the parks in the evening makes more sense than trying to do it during the day. There are also many families from areas not in EST who appreciate the later hours.

If Disney would invest more into growing EPCOT and not simply destroy what's good there for the sake of the almighty dollar, EPCOT would be well used if they stayed open later and did not do partial shut downs starting at 9. That would pull a bit of the attendance down from MK, but not by much. What they need is for AK to complete its new attractions and start staying open late.

Jon81uk

You miss my point slightly, at Magic Kingdom you can do a 14 hour day without repeating a ride/show/attraction. At Epcot you can do everything in 12hrs easily. I don't want to go to a bar as that costs more money on top of admission. If magic kingdom shut at 9:30pm (which it does in slow season) then people wouldn't hop anyway. Other answer would be to price park hopper tickets even higher to discourage hopping to MK. But if I am going to spend all day at Magic Kingdom I like the long hours as can get all the attractions done. Basically, MK has too many attractions and Epcto too few.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom