New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

If the option isn't given then that is different. And if you don't like the stupid parades and all things Disney, go to Universal. Disney is about the experience of taking all of it in and not just rushing to the nearest attraction.
I may like MiSiDaPi or whatever it's called, but not enough to watch it 4x a day.

lazyboy97o

If the option isn't given then that is different. And if you don't like the stupid parades and all things Disney, go to Universal. Disney is about the experience of taking all of it in and not just rushing to the nearest attraction.
There is often to option, this has been stated repeatedly.

Stupid little, self referential parades are pointless distractions from the experience, not something that prevents ride shotgunning.

And your on Main Street all day? Because that's the only area were discussing...
Since when is it a rule that Main Street, USA cannot be explored throughout the day?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There is often to option, this has been stated repeatedly.

Stupid little, self referential parades are pointless distractions from the experience, not something that prevents ride shotgunning.

Since when is it a rule that Main Street, USA cannot be explored throughout the day?
Well, there used to be this place called Center Street West, and the Magic Shop, and the Penny Arcade, and the Theater was a Theater (still standing) instead of an art gallery with a projection screen, and....list goes on.

Now it's basically World of Disney from DTD wearing a turn of the century brazier and girdle.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I didn't say it couldn't, but if you're there all day, your making a choice to put yourself in a place that is frequented by parades or other entertainment multiple days during the day. Let's also not forget the central plaza expansion, even though it's taking too long, is being expanded in part to allow for easier movement around the park, not just for more fireworks viewing areas

Timon

This is what it should look like. Bypass - yes, Weather protection - yes, Store Access - yes, Restaurant Access - yes, Themed to Main St - Oh yes!
DLP%2520Main%2520ST%2520Arcade%252001.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252002.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252003.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252004.jpg

NearTheEars

You are missing his point. That this was an OPPORTUNITY and by sticking to the 'its just a bypass' justification as you defend... the company can only achieve that much.

If you never aim high, you'll never reach it either.

I respectfully disagree about this project, soley based on its bare bones purpose, as I've already rambled on about.

I think there are much better projects for them to spend money on, and aim higher on, than an exit that's being constructed to move crowds out of the park.

That's all.

ToTBellHop

I respectfully disagree about this project, soley based on its bare bones purpose, as I've already rambled on about.

I think there are much better projects for them to spend money on, and aim higher on, than an exit that's being constructed to move crowds out of the park.

That's all.
Like toilets in Fantasyland?

NearTheEars

This is what it should look like. Bypass - yes, Weather protection - yes, Store Access - yes, Restaurant Access - yes, Themed to Main St - Oh yes!
DLP%2520Main%2520ST%2520Arcade%252001.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252002.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252003.jpg

DLP%2520Main%2520St%2520Arcade%252004.jpg

That is very beautiful.

I just can't picture seeing hundreds of people moving through this arcade efficiently after a parade or fireworks display.

Now, if it was around 3 p.m. On a summer day, that would be an awesome place to hang out.

lazyboy97o

That is very beautiful.

I just can't picture seeing hundreds of people moving through this arcade efficiently after a parade or fireworks display.

Now, if it was around 3 p.m. On a summer day, that would be an awesome place to hang out.
If only Disney had a dedicated staff of people who are creative and capable of designing spaces for large numbers of people...

Animaniac93-98

That is very beautiful.

As someone who has used these spaces to do just that, I can tell you they work fine. Remember that at DLP there are two of them in addition to the street itself, which is the same width as the WDW version.

Last edited:

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
And if WDW chooses to theme both sides of Main Street and provide a wide corridor for alternates to Main Street, then I'm on board. But with work only taking place on one side right now, that is where I have a problem with anything that would slow guests from departing MK.

Animaniac93-98

And if WDW chooses to theme both sides of Main Street and provide a wide corridor for alternates to Main Street, then I'm on board. But with work only taking place on one side right now, that is where I have a problem with anything that would slow guests from departing MK.

How would this slow guests down? Any additional space for guest traffic is just that, an addition.

What has making it look nicer have anything to do with function? Who says you can't make a wider version of the DLP design?

lazyboy97o

One wider, properly designed arcade could be functionally equivalent to two arcades.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
How would this slow guests down? Any additional space for guest traffic is just that, an addition.

What has making it look nicer have anything to do with function? Who says you can't make a wider version of the DLP design?

I did not say you could not make it look nice, if you read earlier posts I've written. I've argued the opposite. What I did say was I don't want one completed side with shop access / food if they're gonna treat it as a bypass it SHOULD be purely that. Now, if they want to expand the idea of main street into three parallel streets fully themed with shops, etc... Thereby tripling the capacity of Main Street, then I am on board. But one "bypass" that is connected to the shops and such kinda defeats the point

lazyboy97o

I did not say you could not make it look nice, if you read earlier posts I've written. I've argued the opposite. What I did say was I don't want one completed side with shop access / food if they're gonna treat it as a bypass it SHOULD be purely that. Now, if they want to expand the idea of main street into three parallel streets fully themed with shops, etc... Thereby tripling the capacity of Main Street, then I am on board. But one "bypass" that is connected to the shops and such kinda defeats the point
There is no story point to a bypass. It is bad experiential design. Efficiency once again beating the snot out of Show.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I know this is "adding" but I think only one arcade with shop access wouldnt relieve much of the overcrowding. Anything they choose to do in this project as long as they finish out the theming will help.

I'm simply advocating something much more, and if they can't or WONT do that, then put something in place that will encourage the crowd leaving to keep moving. We can agree to diagree or at least I can.

Animaniac93-98

But one "bypass" that is connected to the shops and such kinda defeats the point

Except experience with DLP proves otherwise, to say nothing of changes that could be made to improve efficiency or design with an equivalent (not necessarily copy) for WDW.

If all people want is a quick exit, then I go back to my previous post of "why bother?" If "guest don't care and just want to get out" then why waste even a cent on paint, lamposts, posters and planters?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom