New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

note2001

The only thing sadder then Disney lowering thier standards is when Disney park fans start accepting those lower standards.

The new age marketing for Disney is all about mind manipulation. Force the junk down our throats until we believe it's amazing and are just thankful it came from Disney. After all, they are the best, Right? Right? <<crickets>>

That said (and not in response to you danlb_2000), this is just a bypass. There are too many people who make it sound as though Disney should be making this into a whole new land. That's not the idea. I'm quite accustomed to walking through their parking area. It'll be nice to have anything better than lined pavement and fake shrubs on wheels.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As was stated above, if guests can go there, and they can go here, it is on stage. Just because this standard was lifted several years ago with Fantasmic (instead of the planned exit from Fantasmic right to the area around the boat dock in front of DHS that would, God forbid, bypass the shops) does not mean it wasn't the standard for the first 30 or so years of WDW. Good to see DL is getting in on the bad show, too.

Remember they sent Colglazier from TDO out to DL so he could start doing to DL what TDO has been doing for years in Orlando.

Just sell the parks to OLC and count the revenue bucks

ABQ

It's funny, some are upset that the show is bad on the east side (tomorrowland) bypass, I was sent out the west side, near the rest rooms and first aid area, now that is truly another world. Cast members lounging on benches (at least they still have benches back there for cast) smoking cigarettes, dumpsters with that sour milk smell. Yuck. All that and a big digital clock on the wall that was off by an hour, how dare they!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's funny, some are upset that the show is bad on the east side (tomorrowland) bypass, I was sent out the west side, near the rest rooms and first aid area, now that is truly another world. Cast members lounging on benches (at least they still have benches back there for cast) smoking cigarettes, dumpsters with that sour milk smell. Yuck. All that and a big digital clock on the wall that was off by an hour, how dare they!

That's some serious "BAD SHOW" right there.

One gets the definite feeling that WDW thinks it's invincible and anything they do is 'good enough' for the rubes who come to WDW, The feeling of contempt for their customer base is palpable.

Cmdr_Crimson

Sounds like any backstage in most theme parks..But, for "magic" purposes....Let's call it The Slums of Main Street..;)

Goofyernmost

The project is to make it no longer just be backstage :banghead:
Beat your head against the wall all you want, I do not buy that. It's, in all likelihood only exist because of evacuation needs promoted by Homeland Security. It connects with the show, but, I don't believe they have ever thought of it as anything other then a utility project. It's everyone else that is making it a topic. It is of so little importance to the overall entertainment factor of WDW that no reasonable person would ever feel that theming is necessary. It is mostly going to be used by people leaving the park. For them the show is over and regardless of what everyone thinks Disney should do, it doesn't really fall into that category. If I don't want to see it, I really don't have to use it do I? I would use it when I am focused on leaving and couldn't care less about anything else. :banghead:

But enough of this topic... you can keep arguing it if you like, but, I have already devoted much more time to this then it warrants.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just think Disney has always been expected to be quality. Maybe it's taken to an extreme level by some. Like the lady and her clean restrooms lol. She just *expects* them to be clean because it's Disney. It's been ingrained some how.

It's been ingrained because that's what the company was built upon as it's vision and mantra from it's founders and champions. This isn't simply "when I saw disney, it was good, so I expect more of that" - it was the very principles the founder of the company DRILLED into people and was the philosophy behind their actions. It was one of the pillars that established the company as different and distanced itself from its competition. It became to be pointed out as 'the Disney difference'

It's as much of the DNA of Disney as Mickey Mouse or Animation is.

Disney was synonymous with QUALITY and going the extra distance. An association created by 50+ years of interviews, statements, training, and output.

Kman101

It's been ingrained because that's what the company was built upon as it's vision and mantra from it's founders and champions. This isn't simply "when I saw disney, it was good, so I expect more of that" - it was the very principles the founder of the company DRILLED into people and was the philosophy behind their actions. It was one of the pillars that established the company as different and distanced itself from its competition. It became to be pointed out as 'the Disney difference'

It's as much of the DNA of Disney as Mickey Mouse or Animation is.

Disney was synonymous with QUALITY and going the extra distance. An association created by 50+ years of interviews, statements, training, and output.

You explained it far far better than I did :)

Communicore

It is hard to explain. I don't know how to really explain why I think they set themselves apart. I think back to the "Roseanne" episode at Magic Kingdom where they are poking fun of how there's no trash on the ground. I just think Disney has always been expected to be quality. Maybe it's taken to an extreme level by some. Like the lady and her clean restrooms lol. She just *expects* them to be clean because it's Disney. It's been ingrained some how.
I was a CM and I was trained to clean, clean, clean. The fixins bar at Cosmic's? The closing manager runs his/her hand through the bottom each night to ensure it was cleaned, and they expect it to be eco-shined too. No excuses.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Beat your head against the wall all you want, I do not buy that. It's, in all likelihood only exist because of evacuation needs promoted by Homeland Security

OMG. Because of DHS they need to formalize the overflow output THEY'VE ALREADY HAD AND USED FOR DECADES?

The park already has emergency evacuation plans and how to quickly move people out of the park.. including through backstage areas. The Main Street project isn't adding any new paths the site hasn't had at it's disposal for ages. It's to pretty it up so that they can start using it more frequently and with less stigma.

It connects with the show, but, I don't believe they have ever thought of it as anything other then a utility project. It's everyone else that is making it a topic. It is of so little importance to the overall entertainment factor of WDW that no reasonable person would ever feel that theming is necessary. It is mostly going to be used by people leaving the park. For them the show is over and regardless of what everyone thinks Disney should do, it doesn't really fall into that category

This line of thinking is so 'justify my choices' line of thinking it makes me sick just to read. You have zero comprehension of managing customer experiences.

But let's burn down your train of thought with even the most simple stupid example. You say people leaving the park, and the show is already over for them. Then why on earth does Disney pay employees to stand around the Main Street station to wave and say goodbye to guests leaving the park? I don't care if you like those people and what they do or not... but its just a simple example to show that even Disney doesn't agree with your postulation that 'the show is already over for them'.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Beat your head against the wall all you want, I do not buy that. It's, in all likelihood only exist because of evacuation needs promoted by Homeland Security. It connects with the show, but, I don't believe they have ever thought of it as anything other then a utility project. It's everyone else that is making it a topic. It is of so little importance to the overall entertainment factor of WDW that no reasonable person would ever feel that theming is necessary. It is mostly going to be used by people leaving the park. For them the show is over and regardless of what everyone thinks Disney should do, it doesn't really fall into that category. If I don't want to see it, I really don't have to use it do I? I would use it when I am focused on leaving and couldn't care less about anything else. :banghead:

But enough of this topic... you can keep arguing it if you like, but, I have already devoted much more time to this then it warrants.

If plans were to use it only for emergencies, then I would be ok with that, but it's not going to be reserved for emergencies. The parks were always intended to keep you immersed in the theming from the moment you enter to the moment you leave. If they are going to skimp in one area, who's to say they won't start skimping in others? I reminds me of the old printed napkins, or burned out light bulb discussion. Some people didn't understand why these things were a big deal. In and of themselves they are not, but's a symptom of a large cheapening of the experience.

Last edited:

Kman101

If the alley was intended to be open at all times, I agree it should be on par with Main Street theming and immerse you, and even have access to stores. Them not doing the arcades or really plussing it doesn't bother me personally because it's going to be used for quick guest flow. I'm really not sure why this continues to be such an issue? It's intended to be a bypass, not a new street that's just being hastily thrown together and sparsely themed. THEN I can understand the outrage. JMO. I'm not sure why this is truly a big deal?

ToTBellHop

If the alley was intended to be open at all times, I agree it should be on par with Main Street theming and immerse you, and even have access to stores. Them not doing the arcades or really plussing it doesn't bother me personally because it's going to be used for quick guest flow. I'm really not sure why this continues to be such an issue? It's intended to be a bypass, not a new street that's just being hastily thrown together and sparsely themed. THEN I can understand the outrage. JMO. I'm not sure why this is truly a big deal?
The walkway to and from Fantasmic is also only open a fraction of the time, yet it is themed. This new bypass is intended to be open regularly, and not necessarily just at night.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The walkway to and from Fantasmic is also only open a fraction of the time, yet it is themed. This new bypass is intended to be open regularly, and not necessarily just at night.
Not discounting your point, but just note...the overflow exit of Fantasmic (Perimeter Road) at HS is not themed. In fact you can see storage units and cast parking from it quite easily. I've been down it several times over the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom