New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

ASilmser

It works in Paris. Those who want to just leave will leave despite having store access.

Those who want to shop will do so anyway. And do so via exiting on MSUSA.

Regarding the decor, so long as any additions are period it will be a nicely dressed corridor. They don't want people stopping, pausing to take photos, crossing the pathway. It is an exit route for the masses so they can get to the monorail line quicker :)

Any un themed back walls visible will be bad show. Things need to be hidden. But period advertising, again like MSUSA of DLP and proper lamposts to fit the theme should suffice to create an extension of and connect the Victorian gardens of the hub and Town Square.

Anything less though will be poor.

This also, Ironically, improves the guest experience with shopping. Anyone who's ever wanted to grab just "one more" item on the way out of the MK and has been caught in those insane crowds knows that. There's a fine line between the kinetic excitement that causes people to spend their money on Main Street and the stress, confusion, chaos, and "where-the-bleep-is-my-kid" atmosphere when the crowds are so big. Also, from a retail loss prevention (i.e. shoplifting) point of view, this crowd is a nightmare. My guess is that Disney will come out very much ahead in dollars and guest satisfaction with this new arrangement. There is NOTHING at WDW more stressful and chaotic than getting from the MK to your chosen mode of transportation after the parade or fireworks.

They've been working on this for years. We were there 5 years ago in July and we were herded out through that back entrance. I was shocked that they would open up their back stage to guests (we only got a bunch of cast members with mini light saber airport tarmac red flashlights to guide us along). I was also relieved. At the end of our journey we were surveyed about it. We said we would welcome this arrangement but didn't like seeing all of the trucks and dumpsters along the way.

JungleTrekFan

Yep i was back there Sunday and saw that as well. Changed the old small hallway to backstage into two large grates, also the wall has the same green wood flats for a small section so when you look between the gates you don’t see a backstage wall. Also they have cleaned up and made that whole side much more organized and useful to have a pathway going through it without it being as terrible as it was visually of being backstage.
Now only MK cast or avid backstage fans would have probably noticed this work but it is quite a change in how things were previously just a year ago when i was still working in MK.
Now its still not perfect, and has a ways to go but its coming along.

Pumbaa1222

This also, Ironically, improves the guest experience with shopping. Anyone who's ever wanted to grab just "one more" item on the way out of the MK and has been caught in those insane crowds knows that. There's a fine line between the kinetic excitement that causes people to spend their money on Main Street and the stress, confusion, chaos, and "where-the-bleep-is-my-kid" atmosphere when the crowds are so big. Also, from a retail loss prevention (i.e. shoplifting) point of view, this crowd is a nightmare. My guess is that Disney will come out very much ahead in dollars and guest satisfaction with this new arrangement. There is NOTHING at WDW more stressful and chaotic than getting from the MK to your chosen mode of transportation after the parade or fireworks.

They've been working on this for years. We were there 5 years ago in July and we were herded out through that back entrance. I was shocked that they would open up their back stage to guests (we only got a bunch of cast members with mini light saber airport tarmac red flashlights to guide us along). I was also relieved. At the end of our journey we were surveyed about it. We said we would welcome this arrangement but didn't like seeing all of the trucks and dumpsters along the way.

YES YES YES!! All this!

Tom

Beta Return
i think they mean laying rebar and remesh, which is standard building construction anywhere, what we are referring to is HD reinforcement to carry high load pressures(thickening pad, higher PSI concrete, HD rebar mats)

Yes, there is nothing to be implied by notes on the plans about reinforced concrete. Disney must install all paved surfaces so that they can bear the load of all types of vehicles and construction equipment. For example, that crane couldn't be sitting behind the castle if there weren't at least 6" of reinforced concrete under it. A 4" slab just won't cut it.

Tom

Beta Return
The plans wouldn't randomly add emergency vehicle access to an area that was already accessible. This is being done with something else in mind. This is unique. I know what is on the plans, and while what you say is true, there is no reason to dismiss this isn't also a potential parade route. Also, just an FYI, the plans also identify the current parade route as an emergency vehicle access route as well. It means nothing except when complete they'll have an additional route.

The plan in question serves the purpose of showing demolition, but also showing how they will maintain emergency vehicle access to all areas of the park throughout, and after, construction. It's a code requirement. By including that sheet in the set, they're telling the fire marshal and code review officials that there is a temporary and permanent plan.

Nothing more is implied.

WDW1974

Ah ... has ever so much been written about ... a bypass ... a backway alley to get folks out of a theme park with poor crowd control? Am I part of the problem by adding to it?

Yes to all of the above.

(you do know threads like this make UNI fanbois laugh and beat us up for our lunch money, right?)

rioriz

Oh too be a part of OU during the pre-Potter days...must be like present day WDWM

As the world turns...;)

but even there the positivity towards this project is surprising

OnyxNine

No question it is absolutely needed, and has been for years. There are simply times of the year that Main Street U.S.A is at complete grid lock. It can make for a scary situation for guests, and cast.

I am glad they are going to work on this. Main street can really give you a case of anxiety when the crowds are big. :cry: Plus...i always wondered. I case of fire, how in blazes i am supposed to get out of here?. :cry::cry::jawdrop::jawdrop:

tl77

If they did, it wasn't on any plan that I've seen.

This isn't the same thing? This also similar to what they've been doing around the Mine Train
MK+Caseys.jpg

flavious27

It works in Paris. Those who want to just leave will leave despite having store access.

Those who want to shop will do so anyway. And do so via exiting on MSUSA.

Regarding the decor, so long as any additions are period it will be a nicely dressed corridor. They don't want people stopping, pausing to take photos, crossing the pathway. It is an exit route for the masses so they can get to the monorail line quicker :)

Any un themed back walls visible will be bad show. Things need to be hidden. But period advertising, again like MSUSA of DLP and proper lamposts to fit the theme should suffice to create an extension of and connect the Victorian gardens of the hub and Town Square.

Anything less though will be poor.

Why do I think that this topic will be discussed by my 4yo daughter in 20 years.

Tom

Beta Return
This isn't the same thing? This also similar to what they've been doing around the Mine Train
MK+Caseys.jpg

It's really all one giant, phased project that will take a while to complete. The area by Casey's was first, and perhaps even a trial to see how much affect it had on traffic and guests.

Tom

Beta Return
I am glad they are going to work on this. Main street can really give you a case of anxiety when the crowds are big. :cry: Plus...i always wondered. I case of fire, how in blazes i am supposed to get out of here?. :cry::cry::jawdrop::jawdrop:

They're all commercial buildings with fire protection systems. The only reason a mass of people would need to exit the park quickly would be in the case of an explosion or other major catastrophe. No need to worry about a fire unless you're in the building that's on fire. And even then you're pretty safe.

The Visionary Soul

MK+Caseys.jpg
Not at all.That is certainly not enforced enough to hold a parade float. You should look up some photos of the old construction work that took place at Hollywood Studios to get that parade route ready to handle the weight of the Block Party Bash floats. That's the kind of thing we are expecting.

The Visionary Soul

The plan in question serves the purpose of showing demolition, but also showing how they will maintain emergency vehicle access to all areas of the park throughout, and after, construction. It's a code requirement. By including that sheet in the set, they're telling the fire marshal and code review officials that there is a temporary and permanent plan.

Nothing more is implied.
You don't find it a bit odd that randomly they needed to build an extra route? You need to have a look at the before and after emergency access routes. This one is new, and that's why I don't believe it's just for emergency access. Give me one good reason why on earth you'd need to add the extra route in there and even remove the curb in that area of the hub. It's obvious that someone wants the option to bring in floats from there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not at all.That is certainly not enforced enough to hold a parade float. You should look up some photos of the old construction work that took place at Hollywood Studios to get that parade route ready to handle the weight of the Block Party Bash floats. That's the kind of thing we are expecting.
The parade route will not be changing, only the area where people watch the parade will change.

Tom

Beta Return
You don't find it a bit odd that randomly they needed to build an extra route? You need to have a look at the before and after emergency access routes. This one is new, and that's why I don't believe it's just for emergency access. Give me one good reason why on earth you'd need to add the extra route in there and even remove the curb in that area of the hub. It's obvious that someone wants the option to bring in floats from there.

OK Peter.

The Visionary Soul

The parade route will not be changing, only the area where people watch the parade will change.
No one is saying the current main parade route will change. We're saying that they are creating a new alternate entry to the hub where a couple floats could potentially enter from in the future for a Hub-centric show that wouldn't affect Main Street.

COProgressFan

No one is saying the current main parade route will change. We're saying that they are creating a new alternate entry to the hub where a couple floats could potentially enter from in the future for a Hub-centric show that wouldn't affect Main Street.

I agree it would appear that is the case, even if there are no plans to use that entry right now. It does seem to give them that option in the future, should they choose to. I could see how they might want to do this for special events (parade taping, Superbowl winners, etc.) to avoid the need to run down MS. Or even a regular show like MISICI that primarily takes place in the hub.

ABQ

Well if they must keep that godforsaken MiSiCi abomination, I wouldn't mind if they used that new potential entrance, as I'll have a better chance to avoid it entirely then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom