New Living Character Meet and Greets being tested at DL

Sketch105

Mute characters have always been one of my biggest issues with the parks. I really think for any kid with the smallest amount of discernment, the fact that Mickey never moves his mouth would make you wonder what's up.

I like this a lot!

Hey, when I was that young, I never thought about that kind of stuff. I was always excited to see the characters. The thought always kinda bypassed me. Now with "Dream Along with Mickey" though, it definitely makes them step it up.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
That's just a HUGE step in the right direction! I'm not a big meet-n-greet fan, but this is just amazing! I can't wait to see how they do it...

TTA-ATW

Endless Possibilities

This tech is really cool! At first it did look a little freaky but after i saw it for a minute it was exactly what it should be. This is one of those experiences where RFID could really shine. They will be able to know everybody by name like they have been old friends for years. Even know if they have met before.

I am really excited about this. This tech alone could bring the much maligned meet and greet from the doldrums of the disney experience, something akin to DVC carts, to a prime time experience you cant get anywhere else, the heart of the disney experience. Hopefully in years to come they will be able to expand this experience away from the "buffet line" meet & greet and incorporate it into the park proper to really bring the whole park to life.

Awesome Job WDI!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Very cool. Will be difficult to pull off in all scenarios, but for very specific meet and greet locations, looks awesome.

XSTech

I briefly chatted with the YouTube user who posted the videos and he told me it was indeed a test being run by Disney.

He said:

"We went in as regular guests, however, we did have to sign something before entering the room. They said it was being video taped by Disney for internal research (or something like that). I don't know if everyone got this interactive experience or not."

I hope something like this comes to Walt Disney World!

imagineer boy

Wow, that is fantastic! Wow! I must say its a long time since I've been wowed so much by somthing from Disney like this.

I definately this becomes the norm for all characters, and its definately a step in the right direction. Still, I wonder how they do it though. This is definately the type of living character stuff I want to see more of.

mickeysaver

sponono88

littlecricket from MiceChat (who is usually pretty reliable with her info regarding the Entertainment Dept.) had this to say:

Second reaction - Err, what's this video even doing online? This is strictly a test run and I was told that the guests who meet this Mickey had to sign a confidentiality agreement (heard from my roommate who works at Mickey's house). The testing isn't over and the first thing they do is rush home, break the agreement, and post it online? Not very respectful.

Come to think of it, now that this video is online, I wouldn't be surprised if they take this away for now.

mastif

How long will it be before the usual members on this message board start to criticize and bash the talking mickey? My guess is soon.

nibblesandbits

Wow...this is really amazing! I was hoping it would come to this when they started doing it for DAWM...I really hope they roll this out eventually. I know, I feel kinda weird meeting characters, but I don't know...there's something about getting to talk with The Big Cheese himself that really appeals to me. I'd definitely stand in line for this!

Wilt Dasney

Assuming this all becomes commonplace someday down the line, I agree with the sentiments that it would make character meets genuine attractions.

Right now, I just don't get the point of standing in line to shake hands with a plastic head. A talking Mickey might get me to stand in line at least once though. (Of course, I'm not interested in meeting face characters either, and they already talk. I guess it's just the "WOW COOL" factor that appeals to me.) :shrug: :lol:

If the lines weren't long enough already to meet characters, they might get longer if this is the future.

Buried20KLeague

It's been quite some time before I've been completely "WOW"ed by Disney... And this "WOW"ed me.

At first you think it's controlled similar to Push or Wes Palm, mixing in a control room like Potato Head. But what's blowing me away is the hand gestures are, at times, DIRECTLY along with the words being said... And they're not predictable words either! That's a "WOW" moment. :sohappy:

A guess? Maybe there's an earpiece in there for the "friend" and a couple second delay on what the crowd hears? Giving time for the "friend" to know what was coming?

I have no idea. And when was the last time we could say that about an effect that Disney came out with?? Bravo!

Let's hope that this actually makes it to the parks, and doesn't go the way of MML, or Lucky, or Wall-E, etc... :(

maggiegrace1

How long will it be before the usual members on this message board start to criticize and bash the talking mickey? My guess is soon.
Not a usual member who bashes..and I am not really bashing..I just am not fond of this..:shrug:

It is weird..:lol:.they are not supposed to talk..and if they just have Mickey talk..I think kids are going to wonder why Minnie or Donald or Goofy are not talking also.

Quit changing things...and bring back Horizons...:D:lookaroun:lol:

imagineer boy

It's been quite some time before I've been completely "WOW"ed by Disney... And this "WOW"ed me.

At first you think it's controlled similar to Push or Wes Palm, mixing in a control room like Potato Head. But what's blowing me away is the hand gestures are, at times, DIRECTLY along with the words being said... And they're not predictable words either! That's a "WOW" moment. :sohappy:

A guess? Maybe there's an earpiece in there for the "friend" and a couple second delay on what the crowd hears? Giving time for the "friend" to know what was coming?

I have no idea. And when was the last time we could say that about an effect that Disney came out with?? Bravo!

I must say, I'm still scratching my head over how this was done. I'm really stumped! I don't know if its the person in the costume speaking or what, but either way it seems to be really working well.

It is weird..:lol:.they are not supposed to talk..and if they just have Mickey talk..I think kids are going to wonder why Minnie or Donald or Goofy are not talking also.

Oh I'm positive if this talking Mickey ends up being successful then they'll apply it to all of the characters. Or at least I hope they do. I'd love to see a talking Donald or Goofy character.

Nicole220

At first I was waaaay freaked out by this. But now I think it's completely awesome! I never know what to do with fuzzies because I can't talk to them. I just awkwardly walk up to them, get a hug, take a picture, and leave. But I enjoy fun conversations with face characters. I think this would work if they could somehow apply it to all situations and characters. It wouldn't make sense for the inside characters to talk, but not the outside ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom