New HitchHiking Ghosts Coming to WDW

1stStarIC2nite

I really wouldn't judge this effect until you see it in person. The InsidetheMagic video makes the HHG look way more like cartoons than they do in reality. The effect is incredible and very well done. It looks fantastic in person.

Testtrack321

I think with some tweaking and this will be fantastic. Seems like the guests love it in the video with their "ooh"ing and "ahh"ing.

NewfieFan

This looks seriously cool from the video! I can't wait to ride this now in a couple of weeks! Yay!

So far, I view this as all positive for the HM! The queue looks interesting (yes, I've read the detailed threads) and the AAs and special effects at the end are just amazing!

Mansion Butler

I really wouldn't judge this effect until you see it in person. The InsidetheMagic video makes the HHG look way more like cartoons than they do in reality. The effect is incredible and very well done. It looks fantastic in person.
Even the most hardened, ant-change HM CMs I know love it. Not one has been expressed displeasure, and that's saying something.

Many would be behind the negative views of park changes expressed here all the time, but they are not with this specific situation, and that is significant. And so, yes, wait until you see it in person.

Obviously not everyone will be pleased because that's the way the world works, but you can't be condemning until you ride.

Castle Cake Apologist

Oh good, a playground, a scavenger hunt, and cartoon hitchhiking ghosts. For awhile there I was worried Haunted Mansion was becoming more of a kiddie ride!

Seriously? Have you even seen the effect in person, or are you just bashing to bash? Because it's incredible.

And even if you're just seeing the video... look at the guest reactions. When is the last time the HHG got even CLOSE to that level of joy with guests?

This is beyond measure an immense improvement.

HBG2

Based on what can be made out from the video, I think this looks great. What you can't tell is whether it looks fully 3D or looks "projection-y," etc., stuff like that, but based on the testimony of those who have seen it live, it passes those tests with flying colors as well.

For those worried that the same six (or so) tricks will get old after awhile, I would suggest that now that this technology is in place (and the inevitable bugs are worked out—expect a few), new gags could be programmed without much difficulty, so they could switch them out or add them on.

It's good.

By this point in the show, you're ready to discover that the ghosts actually like you, sort of the last step from the fearful first rooms through the fun-loving ghosts who nevertheless ignore you for the most part, to this, where they not only stop ignoring you but start playfully teasing you. Works just fine. And the hitchhikers never were scary and threatening but always had a certain twinkle in their eye, so it's in character for them, IMO.

I'm very happy that they don't talk. Cartoony voices while they do this stuff would have been hard to bear.

Reminds me somehow of the Lonesome Ghosts cartoon. Same look and feel. Anyone else get those kind of vibes?

tirian

For those worried that the same six (or so) tricks will get old after awhile...
I suppose they'd rather watch the same stick figures with spring-loaded heads. :lol:

It's good.

By this point in the show, you're ready to discover that the ghosts actually like you, sort of the last step from the fearful first rooms through the fun-loving ghosts who nevertheless ignore you for the most part, to this, where they not only stop ignoring you but start playfully teasing you. Works just fine. And the hitchhikers never were scary and threatening but always had a certain twinkle in their eye, so it's in character for them, IMO.

I'm very happy that they don't talk. Cartoony voices while they do this stuff would have been hard to bear.

Reminds me somehow of the Lonesome Ghosts cartoon. Same look and feel. Anyone else get those kind of vibes?

Yes, the caricature fun makes more sense at the end of the ride rather than in the queue. I don't abhor all the queue additions like some people ( ;) ), but I must agree the new busts are out of place outside. The cartoon nonsense works perfectly here.

hth1917

Based on what can be made out from the video, I think this looks great. What you can't tell is whether it looks fully 3D or looks "projection-y," etc., stuff like that, but based on the testimony of those who have seen it live, it passes those tests with flying colors as well....

HBG2: The appearance of these HHGs (are they obviously mere projections?) is my biggest concern too. I'm going to head out there this week sometime to check it out in person, as it's really hard to judge from the video.

And you're right about the similarity to the Lonesome Ghosts aesthetic.

tirian

The effects are pretty impressive. I'm not convinced it's "worth it," given that I thought the Haunted Mansion was already pretty great and there are plenty of things in the park that are not, but this is a cool upgrade.

I also question spending so much attention on one attraction when around the corner, Peter Pan is barely maintained better than a roadside carny ride. Several other attractions are almost crying for TLC.

WDW1974

I also question spending so much attention on one attraction when around the corner, Peter Pan is barely maintained better than a roadside carny ride. Several other attractions are almost crying for TLC.

Great comparison on Pan.

I do wonder why they keep putting money into Mansion (not that I'm complaining ... even on the queue ... I need to experience them before I judge), though. It's in great shape. Never looked better since its rehab.

I haven't read this whole thread (and won't) and I also won't look at video as I'd like to experience it first ... but I do wonder if this is just the set-up for the image-cpature that TDO has wanted installed for a long, long time.

JustInTime

WOW! This looks amazing! Love the new effects! I am sure they will continue to improve but i freakin' love how they rip your head off.

Rich1

Just rode haunted mansion...loved the idea. Love the science. Loved the tricks. HATED the actual experience. Ghosts don't look like real ghosts anymore and mirrors are to small. Only works if u r completely still!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just rode haunted mansion...loved the idea. Love the science. Loved the tricks. HATED the actual experience. Ghosts don't look like real ghosts anymore and mirrors are to small. Only works if u r completely still!

What does a real ghost reflected in a mirror look like?

cassiedoodle

Oh good, a playground, a scavenger hunt, and cartoon hitchhiking ghosts. For awhile there I was worried Haunted Mansion was becoming more of a kiddie ride!

A kiddie ride? Really? I'm 23 years old and I STILL can't keep my eyes open in the last room with the heads popping up everywhere :eek: :eek:
I wish I was kidding...

Rum Pirate

Original Poster
Its an amazing effect, seriously wait till you see it in person, and dont worry, its not a huge change for holidays so dont be surprised for halloween and xmas ghosts :D

CONGRATS WDI, you really hit this one out of the park

PS I Love Vindication

Lee

Adventurer
I like it, based just on the video.
I'll probably run up to check it out in person next week, so I'll reserve final judgment until then, but for now....:D

Also...I'm told there are some further tweaks coming further down the road.

Horizonsfan

Question for anyone who has rode it: are they using the same-style/size mirrors that were there before or have they replace them? (smaller, bigger,etc.)

Looks like a promissing effect. Maybe it's just me, but this technology seems like the perfect fit for SSE's descent problem. What better way to use the set space and still include "us" in the future?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom