News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

msteel

@Lift Blog I expect that (presumably numbered) cabins eventually get our of order on the line, so I wondered, do gondolas ever use automated technology like bar codes or RFID to identify and/or track a cabin's position for maintenance, etc?

KrazyKat

Bioreconstruct posted these “possible” trip times on the gondola system.
037429BA-2068-4A8B-9CFB-3A6CF744CDA8.png

peter11435

@Lift Blog I expect that (presumably numbered) cabins eventually get our of order on the line, so I wondered, do gondolas ever use automated technology like bar codes or RFID to identify and/or track a cabin's position for maintenance, etc?
Can’t speak for other gondola installations, but that is a standard practice for many ride vehicles across the Disney parks. I would not be surprised to see it used here.

Ride systems use this for tracking laps among other things.

Lift Blog

I've never heard of anything other than numbers to keep track of cabins. Ski areas are generally quite old school.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well Kenny does steal as he is a pirate but this is really old news . Go upthread about 6 months and you will see it spelled out here. He confirms nothing but does steal what he reads here.

He claims to have gotten the info from the Europe IAAPA conference, and since there are people who still refuse to believe there will be no AC, it's always good to have another source of corroboration, especially since Jim Hill recently claimed otherwise.

SLUSHIE

The system keeps track of all the cabins in the terminal, but it doesn't know which number cabin it is. Newer systems allow you to mark a chair, so that a 'signal' alarm will go off when it reaches the other station but I'm pretty sure that's just done by counting and nothing more complex.

The gondola I worked had no signal, and even if it did you would still call the number ahead and mention what is it, like a wheelchair, bag of trash etc. so the operator knew what to do once it got there. Yes on a gondola the cabins are usually in completely random order, but once you work a lift for a while it becomes completely second nature. You will be standing there and then suddenly think 'oh yeah I was supposed to be looking for cabin 16' and then it just happens to be the very next one.

I could see how they could bar code or whatever just to make it easier to keep track of maintenance of a cabin itself, but the system doesn't use anything like that.

GCTales

Well Kenny does steal as he is a pirate but this is really old news . Go upthread about 6 months and you will see it spelled out here. He confirms nothing but does steal what he reads here.

I disagree. IAAPA 2017 was about this time last year and the skyliner wasn't announced until D23. IAAPA Europe 2018 started today. So either Doppelmayer was talking about it before the system was announced and we all somehow missed it (highly unlikely) or someone talked today to Doppelmayer at the show and Kenny the Pirate posted it (more Likely).

Yes, our insiders have said all along that there would be no A/C, but this appear so he first time someone "official" associated with either Disney or Doppelmayer has said there would be no A/C.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom