News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

nace888

Or lick a cabin and wait for it to come back.

I think @Lift Blog mentioned SOP is to have it run two full cycles making sure each cabin is empty before shutdown for the day.
Again, would the thought be to use numbers or a CM, or something else?? I'd imagine a number would be smart too, since if there's an issue, they can pinpoint the specific cabin?

SLUSHIE

Some places take them off, others leave them on. When they are left on, the operators will call each other and one will call last chair (cabin) and note the number. They will this also mark the cabin with an orange streamer. I Imagine the gondola will still run long after its closed possibly for cast members etc. so a guest getting stranded would be extremely unlikely.

Where I worked we took then off every night, so in that case we never called last chair.

Goofyernmost

That could be another valid reason to do so....

That actually IS what I most certainly meant...

The wait-time cards are not a bad idea, but given the ride and how guests will be looking around etc, I'm wondering if they'd even remember that this was a thing.... As for cabins, I'm aware they always won't be on the same line, but when it comes to closing etc, I would imagine that they wouldn't be adding another cabin mere minutes before shutdown.
That's not what I'm saying. They will be shuffling cars over time though, so there will be no sequence to watch for. I think it would be asking a lot to feel that watching vehicles for the number wouldn't be easy to miss. Perhaps a magnetic sign that the CM's at load stick on the Gondola's (if there is any metal to do that with), bright, florescent and hard to miss when it gets to the other side. I guess we will see how they work that. It just seems to me that something other then an obvious physical marking is going to be occasionally missed. And, now that I think of it, that would have to happen from both sides in case of a straggler needing to go back for some reason. Not likely, but, possible. Nothing can stop until both directions are completely empty. Interesting, indeed.

Creathir

Disney has lots of experience with verifying vehicles are clear of guests before powering down for the night. This won’t be hard.
Agreed. Plus, the unique aspects of gondolas, while different from other rides at Disney, are very common in the world at large. This is not a new piece of revolutionary transport.

It’s a tried and true transportation system with years of successful operations under its belt.

There are well defined procedures in place for end of day operations and clearing, I’m sure Disney will implement whatever procedures are recommended by the manufacturer.

I know I’ve been critical of it in the past, some of which has been playing devils advocate, but this honestly is not something which contains a lot of unknowns or mysteries. This system has proven itself to be able to move large amounts of people quickly and efficiently, with simple procedures in place to ensure guest safety, including end of day procedures.

Goofyernmost

Disney has lots of experience with verifying vehicles are clear of guests before powering down for the night. This won’t be hard.
Yes, we all know that, however, we have been speculating on how they will actually do it when the time comes. I'm pretty sure they have a system, I'm just curious as to which one will be used. The CM round trip sounds like the easiest and most reliable. I don't really think that they have imagineers monitoring this thread to give them ideas on how to do it cause they are at a loss.

peter11435

Yes, we all know that, however, we have been speculating on how they will actually do it when the time comes. I'm pretty sure they have a system, I'm just curious as to which one will be used. The CM round trip sounds like the easiest and most reliable. I don't really think that they have imagineers monitoring this thread to give them ideas on how to do it cause they are at a loss.
Do we speculate about how they handle it at each individual attraction too?

They will likely have a CM ride through behind the last guest.

Movielover

Knowing Disney's penuriousness, they may not want to pay a cm for the time to make a roundtrip.

The lenght of a round trip would not increase a CM's stay on clock, CM are working on the rides long before and after guest are no longer present for cleaning and normal procedures. They don't immediately leave the ride once the last guest steps off a ride.

MiddKid

They already do it for most attractions.

The need for a CM ride through in attractions is more about making sure the attraction itself is clear. No one jumped out of the last few vehicles in the night and is hiding in a corner of the 5th Dimension on Tower. That no one threw their hat off and landed it on a small world figure.

For the gondola it's more about just making sure the last people are offloaded. No need for a ride through...just mark which is the last loaded vehicle and be gone.

Let's keep the ski area analogy. At the end of the day ski patrol skis down and "sweeps" the mountain. Makes sure that no one is hurt or stuck on the runs. They don't sweep the lifts. The lifties just say "last cabin 24" and make sure it's cleared the station then shut down.

Goofyernmost

Do we speculate about how they handle it at each individual attraction too?

They will likely have a CM ride through behind the last guest.
In fact, I'll bet we have at some point. I don't usually care, and I don't really now, but, we were bantering about the different possibilities and that was all there was to it really. I agree that the ride through is probably the most sure and easy way to know that everyone is off the vehicle. The Gondola's are new and people were/are curious. Nothing more then that. After all the idiocy about lightning, heat stroke, alligators, cable breaking and other possible disasters, it was kind of nice to be talking about something that didn't involve coroners.

peter11435

The need for a CM ride through in attractions is more about making sure the attraction itself is clear. No one jumped out of the last few vehicles in the night and is hiding in a corner of the 5th Dimension on Tower. That no one threw their hat off and landed it on a small world figure.

For the gondola it's more about just making sure the last people are offloaded. No need for a ride through...just mark which is the last loaded vehicle and be gone.

Let's keep the ski area analogy. At the end of the day ski patrol skis down and "sweeps" the mountain. Makes sure that no one is hurt or stuck on the runs. They don't sweep the lifts. The lifties just say "last cabin 24" and make sure it's cleared the station then shut down.
Not exactly.

If someone jumps out of an attraction vehicle the cast will know without having to do a ride through. The attraction would stop.

Cast walk through looking for trash and lost and found after the ride is powered down.

The ride though is entirely to verify that all guests are off the attraction.

Bender123

Not exactly.

If someone jumps out of an attraction vehicle the cast will know without having to do a ride through. The attraction would stop.

I both despise and love these videos...They figured out that Horizons didn't have weight sensors and have a series of videos where they explored the ride...while it was running. They even had a whole system developed for spacing and timing to avoid being seen by other guests and routes that would go through the bowels of the building and lead them back to their ride vehicle at a later point.

They are a really cool view, even though these guys were obviously doing some trespassing.

peter11435

I both despise and love these videos...They figured out that Horizons didn't have weight sensors and have a series of videos where they explored the ride...while it was running. They even had a whole system developed for spacing and timing to avoid being seen by other guests and routes that would go through the bowels of the building and lead them back to their ride vehicle at a later point.

They are a really cool view, even though these guys were obviously doing some trespassing.

I have the same feelings towards those videos.

This couldn’t be done today. It was over 20 years ago. Systems are in place to prevent this now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom