News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Today at 11:30 am

SLUSHIE

It's a bit loud, but sounds like a ski lift to me. It's probably quieter when running at full speed.

Also note that the spacing between cabins will be much greater than what we are seeing with the maintenance ones.

JoeCamel

It's a little more complex than that. They go from a regular rail to a rail with a chain conveyor above that advances them along. Then they transition to the terminal tires. One of the tires has a clutch that spaces the cabins. Then more tires accelerate them. Then the cable!
TMI ;)

joelkfla

The Epcot line is more twice as long as the next longest to Hollywood Studios. 8,100 feet vs. 3,850' (THS) and 3,100' (TPD). Plus the Epcot line has two extra stations where lots of cabins will be bunched up. It will probably have around three times the number of cabins as Pop/AoA, even if the overall capacity of all three lines is the same.
Do you think there is separate storage for each line? Like the 2 short rails in the south storage for Pop, the 4 longer rails for DHS, and the entire north storage for Epcot? Would there be connecting rails to move cabins between lines?

DisneyCane

I just returned from a ski trip and paid way more attention to lifts and gondolas than I should have. Just to assuage some of the concerns brought up.

First, as far as noise, specifically with towers near hotel rooms, this will not be an issue. I purposely skied around and stood under towers. There is barely any audible noise. The sound of skis and snowboards going over the snow is louder than the chairs and cabins going over the towers.

As far as safety, I've never really noticed before but paid close attention to the sheaves on the towers. In the highly unlikely event that the cable jumps off the wheels, there is a catch bracket that will catch the cable and keep the passengers from falling to their doom. There are kill switches on the catch brackets that will immediately stop the movement if this somehow happens.

Some of the lifts I observed were relatively new (only a few years old max) Doppelmayr installations.

JoeCamel

First, as far as noise, specifically with towers near hotel rooms, this will not be an issue. I purposely skied around and stood under towers. There is barely any audible noise. The sound of skis and snowboards going over the snow is louder than the chairs and cabins going over the towers.

Yeah, but did you factor in the Florida weather? The sound of frying bacon will be quite loud.

I think the hum is a bunch of electric motors being operated at very low speed so they don't develop full CEMF (google it!) and the hum is the excess electricity being shunted.

Lift Blog

Do you think there is separate storage for each line? Like the 2 short rails in the south storage for Pop, the 4 longer rails for DHS, and the entire north storage for Epcot? Would there be connecting rails to move cabins between lines?
I’m not sure. Maybe the entire northern area is for the Epcot line and the other side is for both THS and TPD? The cabins will be interchangeable but Disney may choose to keep them separated by line.

kurtk

I’m not sure. Maybe the entire northern area is for the Epcot line and the other side is for both THS and TPD? The cabins will be interchangeable but Disney may choose to keep them separated by line.

Probably want to make sure the different designs are separated. Don't want 2 Goofy gondolas in a row. Also, each line have all or most of the designs.

kurtk

Maybe no two are alike? 310 or 322 or whatever, Dis has enough characters to make them all unique if they wanted to - he says looking at the unthemed towers
That would be cool and inevitably lead to a game for Disney fans to ride every car.

I agree that it would be cool if they were all unique. If they mined the Marvel Universe that would have enough for the whole line alone.
I doubt they are going to do that unless it is really cheap to design each one. It would seem expensive to do it that way.

I would play that game;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom