News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

cosmicgirl

I was under the impression that only some of the cabins would have characters on them, not all.

This is part of what DPB posted:
"Several gondolas will be adorned with graphics based on Disney films, attractions and characters. So for example, you may jump into a gondola where from the ground it will look like Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Pluto or Chip & Dale are riding along with you. Several Disney animated films will be represented, including “Beauty & the Beast,” “Frozen,” “Lilo & Stitch,” “Moana,” “Peter Pan,” “The Princess and the Frog,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and “Zootopia.” "

joelkfla

I was under the impression that only some of the cabins would have characters on them, not all.

This is part of what DPB posted:
"Several gondolas will be adorned with graphics based on Disney films, attractions and characters. So for example, you may jump into a gondola where from the ground it will look like Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Pluto or Chip & Dale are riding along with you. Several Disney animated films will be represented, including “Beauty & the Beast,” “Frozen,” “Lilo & Stitch,” “Moana,” “Peter Pan,” “The Princess and the Frog,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and “Zootopia.” "
I agree. I think every official reference to the character art on the cabins has been qualified with "some" or "selected". It could be as low as, say, 1 out of 5.

cosmicgirl

I agree. I think every official reference to the character art on the cabins has been qualified with "some" or "selected". It could be as low as, say, 1 out of 5.
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of what we've seen so far so unless the real thing turns out to look much better I kinda hope only a small percentage of the cabins get the characters.

There would also be less "but I wanna ride the Belle one!" at boarding if there's no Belle cabin in sight.

Goofyernmost

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of what we've seen so far so unless the real thing turns out to look much better I kinda hope only a small percentage of the cabins get the characters.

There would also be less "but I wanna ride the Belle one!" at boarding if there's no Belle cabin in sight.
I believe they all have it. However, the way those things are made, if it does ride up on the window, people inside the Gondola will not really be seen by the rider. It's just decoration, like the stripe on the Monorails. It isn't an attraction it is transportation. It's not the show itself, it is a way to get from the hotel to the parks. Let's not over think it. It's probably to late for that!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, but did you factor in the Florida weather? The sound of frying bacon will be quite loud.

I think the hum is a bunch of electric motors being operated at very low speed so they don't develop full CEMF (google it!) and the hum is the excess electricity being shunted.
I developed full CEMF once after a long weekend in Vegas...was on antibiotics for a month ;)

cosmicgirl

I believe they all have it. However, the way those things are made, if it does ride up on the window, people inside the Gondola will not really be seen by the rider. It's just decoration, like the stripe on the Monorails. It isn't an attraction it is transportation. It's not the show itself, it is a way to get from the hotel to the parks. Let's not over think it. It's probably to late for that!
I think they will all have decals of some sort on the lower half of the cabin with the logo, yes, but I meant the characters in particular. I prefer the clean look of the coloured cabins with the logo, just like I prefer the "clean" monorails and buses. It's just personal preference, nothing more.

As for the attraction vs. transportation thing: I do believe we've been over this a couple hundred pages ago. Yes, it's transportation, but that doesn't mean they can't make it appealing. The monorail has become an icon, Minnie vans would likely be less popular if they looked like the average Lyft car, and guests always prefer a blue DME over a plain yellow Mears bus even if the bus underneath is exactly the same. That's just how it works.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think they will all have decals of some sort on the lower half of the cabin with the logo, yes, but I meant the characters in particular. I prefer the clean look of the coloured cabins with the logo, just like I prefer the "clean" monorails and buses. It's just personal preference, nothing more.

As for the attraction vs. transportation thing: I do believe we've been over this a couple hundred pages ago. Yes, it's transportation, but that doesn't mean they can't make it appealing. The monorail has become an icon, Minnie vans would likely be less popular if they looked like the average Lyft car, and guests always prefer a blue DME over a plain yellow Mears bus even if the bus underneath is exactly the same. That's just how it works.
I agree with this. Something like this is more than just transportation. It’s a way to differentiate the hotels from others. Monorails and boats are not as efficient or as cheap as buses but they are unique transport that people don’t tend to use in regular life and almost everyone prefers. They aren’t paid attractions but I will go at least a small way out of my way to ride them over buses. I think this will be similar. If deciding between CBR and CSR or between AoA and All Stars these hotels will have an added “attraction” in unique transport to 2 of the parks. It’s an easy way to sell or “upsell” these hotels.

SLUSHIE

I will take whatever is most convenient for the situation. However, I will go out of my way to ride the gondola at-least once, if it doesn't end up being the preferred way to get from Epcot the Studios (it will be preferred over the friendship boats for sure) whenever I would need to do that. When choosing which mode of transportation to take, the only real decision to make is what is available, and how long it's going to take. I will gladly take a bus over the monorail, boats etc. if the lines are long.

I mean I guess to me personally, it's not a unique experience, I used to operate one and I ride lifts about 500 times a year. It may offer unique views, but it;s not a unique experience for me. I actually ride more lifts more than monorails, boats and buses combined (I take Amtrak to work).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I will take whatever is most convenient for the situation. However, I will go out of my way to ride the gondola at-least once, if it doesn't end up being the preferred way to get from Epcot the Studios (it will be preferred over the friendship boats for sure) whenever I would need to do that. When choosing which mode of transportation to take, the only real decision to make is what is available, and how long it's going to take. I will gladly take a bus over the monorail, boats etc. if the lines are long.

I mean I guess to me personally, it's not a unique experience, I used to operate one and I ride lifts about 500 times a year. It may offer unique views, but it;s not a unique experience for me. I actually ride more lifts more than monorails, boats and buses combined (I take Amtrak to work).
To each their own. I would take a relaxing boat ride any day over cramming into a bus even if the boat takes a little longer. The only exception might be if I really need to be somewhere like and ADR and I’m running late, but I’m not a theme park commando type so I usually do things a little more laid back and rarely run into that type of decision. For the gondolas it’s going to depend on comfort level and efficiency. If they are as advertised, fast loading and with enough ventilation to keep them comfortable I am sure I will prefer them to a bus as well.

Creathir

To each their own. I would take a relaxing boat ride any day over cramming into a bus even if the boat takes a little longer. The only exception might be if I really need to be somewhere like and ADR and I’m running late, but I’m not a theme park commando type so I usually do things a little more laid back and rarely run into that type of decision. For the gondolas it’s going to depend on comfort level and efficiency. If they are as advertised, fast loading and with enough ventilation to keep them comfortable I am sure I will prefer them to a bus as well.
This is 100% where I am on this.
Assuming they are indeed comfortable, and we aren’t crammed in like sardines with a bunch of sweaty folks we don’t know, I’ll welcome the minimum wait time and ease of use.

begood524

Hollywood Studios HQ has provided some great footage of the haul rope moving (at full speed?) at Hollywood Studios today

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hollywood Studios HQ has provided some great footage of the haul rope moving (at full speed?) at Hollywood Studios today

Don’t bother clicking ... it’s just the wheels spinning....

JohnD

Probably the same type of film as on buses. People can't see in but you can see out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom