News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Grimley1968

Sorry but has anyone posted how long it would take to get from Pop to Epcot in this thing with the transfers etc? And how many people per unit? After seeing how long it takes to load a wheelchair onto a bus and strollers, I just cant imagine this thing being fast or convenient.

The very first post in this thread answers all these directly or through links to answers. As to the convenience, I think this system will be far more convenient than buses because a) there should be a much shorter wait than for buses, b) they will be inside the security/bag check screening bubble, c) will load ECV's, wheelchairs, strollers, etc. much quicker and easier than buses currently do. There have been videos in this thread showing wheeled things loading almost effortlessly into gondolas at other places.

And will they discontinue the bus option from pop/art/caribbean to Hollywood and Epcot?

From multiple posts on this thread, I believe the answer is yes, unless there is a problem with the gondola system.

nickys

Premium Member
And it has also been explained that the height will vary, because there are many parts of each line that are not directly over a road. Part has to clear buildings in Aruba, while another stretch just has to clear the alligators jumping out of the lake.

Well I hope they're going to build in some contingency over the lake. The gator high jump record has been so static now for years, it's due for a big leap anytime soon.

;) ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry but has anyone posted how long it would take to get from Pop to Epcot in this thing with the transfers etc? And how many people per unit? After seeing how long it takes to load a wheelchair onto a bus and strollers, I just cant imagine this thing being fast or convenient.

You are probably looking at 10 minutes total on the Gondola, and then the time to transfer which will depend on the crowds. It should end up being faster then the bus. Cars will hold 8 to 10 people. Loading wheelchairs and stroller son the gondola is much different then a bus since the gondola has level loading, you can just roll from the platform right into the car.

And will they discontinue the bus option from pop/art/caribbean to Hollywood and Epcot?

All indications are that the plan is for new bus service once the gondola is open, of course there is nothing to prevent them from changing that plan.

I think this would be excellent from an "atmosphere" perspective, too! I remember riding the skyway in MK when my family went back in '95. When I came back with my family in 2011 I couldn't think of what was missing...but then I realized! That extra layer of activity- right up in the air- added something so magical. I'd look forward to this!

peter11435

Since there will be times that the system has to be shut down for weather I don't think they would be cancelling the busses. Also, there are some people (like my wife) who would have to be sedated to get them on the gondola system.
If the gondolas are shut down they could run buses but that doesn’t mean they will run any other time. If I were your wife I would not plan on staying at any of the four resorts serviced by the system.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since there will be times that the system has to be shut down for weather I don't think they would be cancelling the busses. Also, there are some people (like my wife) who would have to be sedated to get them on the gondola system.

@marni1971 has mentioned that for shorter weather shuts downs there is no plans to run buses, people will just wait. If people are afraid of the gondola, they can take a cab/Uber, rent a car, Minnie Van, bus to another location and transfer, or simply stay at a different resort.

GCTales

You're taking all the fun out of it.

Yes, you will have no air to breathe. You will die.
You will freeze to death unless you bring serious clothing for extreme cold.
Ascents? A rapid decent would lead to many people not being able to equalize their ears and they would simply blow their ear drums out. I've seen it in real life, tourist won't be impressed. Of course my experience was with a new diver in the water. If you can't equalize you need to go back to a lower pressure until you can or give up and get out of the water. Same rules would apply to a rapid decent in the air.

Some of you take things so literally then think your smart when you point out the obvious.

Not to get too literal or retentive here... But the study is only talking about a "rapid ascent" (not descent) to 2700m or about 9,000, max. Roughly 11psia. Oxygen partial pressure is a long concern, but easily survivable (FYI, military and far rapid decomprsssion training goes to a higher altitde). A large amount of flatulence and belching. Hypoxia can become an issue.

Due to the pressure drop, most people actually auto equalize. It is really the same, in actual operation, as an ascent from say... 8 fsw (roughly same pressure change- ~3 psi).

IF someone had a reverse squeeze (which is what you are talking about), they would need to descend to a greater pressure(get back to the pressure they were at) not ascend further. Imagine a diver coming up at the end of the diver, not the initial descent.

smile

All this talk of pressure is driving me nuts!

Too... much... pressure!

watch it, dude - one thing at a time...
cracking under pressure can lead to drinking problems.

LyWZifO.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom