News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Creathir

Permit today for the Skyliner. I ran the abbreviations past @Lift Blog but he did not recognize them as being gondola system related. Maybe Tower International Gateway,Tower Pop D?, and Tower Hollywood Studios.

1/24/2018 - Caribbean Beach Resort - Pcl Construction Services Inc
Installing transportation system componetns for TIG 1-7, TPD 1-12, ad THS 1-12 - 1051 Sea Breeze Dr

I think this is correct. It’s probably the subproject name for each of the 3 lines.

More interesting, it probably means 7 towers from IG to boardwalk turn, 12 from Caribbean South to HS, and 12 from Caribbean South to Pop.

Creathir

I think this is correct. It’s probably the subproject name for each of the 3 lines.

More interesting, it probably means 7 towers from IG to boardwalk turn, 12 from Caribbean South to HS, and 12 from Caribbean South to Pop.

@Lift Blog
Could we make a pretty good guess on the height of each tower since we now know the distance and potentially the number of towers? Assuming equal footing, we should be able to determine the sag between each tower and the required minimum height to clear surface traffic etc, correct?

TiggerDad

@Lift Blog
Could we make a pretty good guess on the height of each tower since we now know the distance and potentially the number of towers? Assuming equal footing, we should be able to determine the sag between each tower and the required minimum height to clear surface traffic etc, correct?
I thought we already established that the height of each tower would be astronomical, to ensure that people would plummet to their death before being eaten by alligators.

Cesar R M

Here's the route of the cable in red. It cuts through part of that floral bed and also goes directly behind France.

ansi8Ng.png
I wonder, will they keep the gondola hanging very low (height wise) to the floor to prevent ruining the perspective?

mmascari

I wonder, will they keep the gondola hanging very low (height wise) to the floor to prevent ruining the perspective?

There's a minimum height that it needs to be above. Actually 2 different minimum heights.

The line passes over roads, parking, and pedestrians. The first minimum is the lowest height the bottom of a cabin can be at and still allow for all normal traffic to pass under it, plus some safety margin. At least 16 feet, plus the safety margin to the bottom of the cabin.

The second, and just as important but more fuzzy, is the minimum height of the rope. Since, this is Disney, they likely have oversize equipment that needs to get through at times. Things like cranes, new ride equipment, structures built off site and delivered. If they restrict this type of equipment from moving while the gondola is open, then the rope height still needs to be high enough to allow it to pass under. Even if the cabins hang lower and prevent passage when in operation.

If it's really rare moving big stuff, they could include getting the rope out of the way. But, that sounds like a huge pain. It may even be frequent enough that they want the bottom of the gondola to be higher than the oversize requirement to make scheduling simpler.

There's a maximum height too. If the plan is to use the existing monorail rescue equipment in case of a disaster, that equipment has a maximum height restriction.

Bonus, the monorail already conforms to the first 2 conditions for clearance, and it's not like they can just move a monorail beam to get something through. Which means, it's probably a safe assumption that the gondolas will be about the same height as the monorails in general.

Just a guess, but that's the height I would put my money on.

beachlover4444

Sorry but has anyone posted how long it would take to get from Pop to Epcot in this thing with the transfers etc? And how many people per unit? After seeing how long it takes to load a wheelchair onto a bus and strollers, I just cant imagine this thing being fast or convenient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom