News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GCTales

image.jpg
Attention gondoliers for this important announcement: Your gondola has detached from the cable outside of a station.

Atención a los gondoleros por este important.. <thud>
@MisterPenguin FTW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was, just like the train around MK. It really didn't go anywhere and I wasn't used for transportation alone because by the time you waited in line to ride it, you could have walked over to Tomorrowland and back about six times. So, like the train sometimes you got off at stops, but most of the time you rode the circle.
It was used for transportation. And as an attraction.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

And I don't ever recall needing to stand in a line long enough that it would have been faster to walk to the Tomorrowland station, but I also wasn't there during a 70's or 80's Christmas or Easter week, or in the summer back then.

Goofyernmost

I'm fully aware of that, and like I said just because it was meant to also be used as transportation doesn't necessarily mean that the public used it just for that. Sure they might have decided that they wanted to ride the Skyway either to Tomorrowland or Fantasyland, but, it wasn't all that practical as a strictly transportation effort. I never rode it to get from one point to another, if I recall you had to get off and re-queue to get back the other direction. It is very much like the Express Train at Universal which can be used as an attraction or transportation or a combination of both. For all practical purposes Skyway was used almost exclusively as an attraction. It really doesn't matter what they intended because all that counts is how it was used. Besides I highly doubt that they weren't smart enough to know how it would be primarily used.

Disone

And I don't ever recall needing to stand in a line long enough that it would have been faster to walk to the Tomorrowland station, but I also wasn't there during a 70's or 80's Christmas or Easter week, or in the summer back then.

I recall differently. See the Skyway wasn't a very high-capacity attraction and it was also a slow loading attraction. So except for maybe the first half hour or hour from Park opening, it would could easily have a 20, 40 or even 60 minutes wait in line. For argument's sake let's just say it's 10 or 15 minutes plus another 5 minutes to transport from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland or vice versa. Would it take you that long to walk from Space Mountain to It's a small world? Or in the case of Disneyland from the Tomorrowland train station to the Casey jr. Circus train. No it would not. It was almost always faster just to walk. The Skyway , to me, was just an attraction.

Thelazer

Having just got back from a sky weekend and on a gondola.. good luck is all I can say with loading these things with tourists.
it's a moving bucket you step into, with about 15 seconds of time to get into it.

Going to be a nightmare for the ops folks when they have to pause loading due to some tourist falling over with 3 kids and a stroller in tow.

Disone

Having just got back from a sky weekend and on a gondola.. good luck is all I can say with loading these things with tourists.
it's a moving bucket you step into, with about 15 seconds of time to get into it.

Going to be a nightmare for the ops folks when they have to pause loading due to some tourist falling over with 3 kids and a stroller in tow.

Curious, where did you go skiing this time of year? I love skiing. That said I'm not really concerned. The whole "tourist can't figure any thing out" is way over played. That said, I do think the system will run at less than its Highest Potential capacity, and yes because of strollers and wheelchairs, but I don't think it's going to Doom the system to failure. It will still be efficient. It may even be the case that Disney is already aware of this it has bought the latest model, most efficient version, allowing them to be able to make up some of the Lost efficiencies when dealing with the mass public.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

...and yet we have had someone who works the gondola at a ski resort say that this really isn't an issue, even during non-ski times of the year when they get a lot of gondola novices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom