News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

disnyfan89

You’re the one trying to discredit the point so it seems you should be able to make the argument.

Again, what of that is stock architecture?

Actually I'm not trying to discredit any point. As stated, I simply was saying that sometimes its okay for a station to look like a station. I never said in any way if I agree the station should look like a stock station or not. You are the one who is trying to prove me wrong on an argument I wasn't trying to make.

I would then also ARGUE that you seem unable to define or provide an example of what a "Stock" station looks like and therefore are unable to make an argument against me to prove your own point and have no basis to judge what is or is not stock architecture which completely discredits your entire argument.

lazyboy97o

Actually I'm not trying to discredit any point. As stated, I simply was saying that sometimes its okay for a station to look like a station. I never said in any way if I agree the station should look like a stock station or not. You are the one who is trying to prove me wrong on an argument I wasn't trying to make.

I would then also ARGUE that you seem unable to define or provide an example of what a "Stock" station looks like and therefore are unable to make an argument against me to prove your own point and have no basis to judge what is or is not stock architecture which completely discredits your entire argument.
Then what was your point in saying “sometimes it’s okay for a station to look like a station”? Nobody was saying a station it’s not okay for a station to look like a station.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But lets not forget these beautiful examples from inside the parks:

DL tomorrowland Station:
7G8jRm5qUVVAJxZbHpoU0yT2R1eviYAaLI1DWKezNZQwuHH_TBF-vN71n6S_AdmckMdNIu71PQ5tp7kWep50dbIYmH_0Wpi2p1g2MBnrXmEScSrtcTGTeZU=s0-d

Funny you picked the photo showing the park basically at opening... back before Disney had even mastered their techniques.. I mean we can even still see the undeveloped TL power lines and parking lots!

Why not instead show what the attraction came to be... with a wooded fantasyland chalet at one end... passing THROUGH the matterhorn... and a TL station that was integrated with the TL that came to be once it was built out in the 60s?

And yes, the turn station in MK was all practical... and ugly.

disnyfan89

Then what was your point in saying “sometimes it’s okay for a station to look like a station”? Nobody was saying a station it’s not okay for a station to look like a station.

Perhaps I was just giving my own $0.02

Funny you picked the photo showing the park basically at opening... back before Disney had even mastered their techniques.. I mean we can even still see the undeveloped TL power lines and parking lots!

Why not instead show what the attraction came to be... with a wooded fantasyland chalet at one end... passing THROUGH the matterhorn... and a TL station that was integrated with the TL that came to be once it was built out in the 60s?

And yes, the turn station in MK was all practical... and ugly.

That's why we have you flynnibus!

disnyfan89

hmmmm
Sometimes appropriate theming can add an awful lot.... I would prefer it if they didn't l;ook like an off the shel doppelmyer station with a themed canopy tacked on.... That was always the Disney Difference....

Then, like so many others, you are missing or ignoring the complaints. The new stations are not criticized for looking like a station, but looking too much like a stock station. How do your images show clear elements of a stock VR101 station?

Also, for what it's worth, as near as I can tell I would 100% classify this as a stock station with a "Themed Canopy Tacked on".
latest

I aim to please ;)

That video paints the picture many have of their DL memories... since the park basically mostly intact for about 20 years :D

My first visit to DL wasn't until 2005 so I have no idea what their skyway was like at any point. I only have the memories of riding the skyway as a child at the MK and thinking they looked like every other skyway I ever rode.

lazyboy97o

Also, for what it's worth, as near as I can tell I would 100% classify this as a stock station with a "Themed Canopy Tacked on".
latest
That is the station machinery, not the station architecture. The comment you bolded was about stock station architecture, not a desire to see custom designed machinery.

Last edited:

Disone

Curious, what's so unusual about going skiing in the middle of December?
????? I think you took that wrong. I was literally asking. I love skiing but mid december skiing is really rough. There isn't enough snow on the ground yet at most of the resorts, so I was curious as to which resort was enjoyable. They ARE open but usually with ver limited terrain. Appearantly you are not a true skier and didn't realize the context I meant the question.... Where did you go and was it GOOD conditions is what I meant. No gotcha or flame was intended.

Last edited:

NormC

Having just got back from a sky weekend and on a gondola.. good luck is all I can say with loading these things with tourists.
it's a moving bucket you step into, with about 15 seconds of time to get into it.

Going to be a nightmare for the ops folks when they have to pause loading due to some tourist falling over with 3 kids and a stroller in tow.
:banghead:

bcoachable

Having just got back from a sky weekend and on a gondola.. good luck is all I can say with loading these things with tourists.
it's a moving bucket you step into, with about 15 seconds of time to get into it.

Going to be a nightmare for the ops folks when they have to pause loading due to some tourist falling over with 3 kids and a stroller in tow.

What resort were you at????

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
????? I think you took that wrong. I was literally asking. I love skiing but mid december skiing is really rough. There isn't enough snow on the ground yet at most of the resorts, so I was curious as to which resort was enjoyable. They ARE open but usually with ver limited terrain. Appearantly you are not a true skier and didn't realize the context I meant the question.... Where did you go and was it GOOD conditions is what I meant. No gotcha or flame was intended.
You made it sound (to me, anyway) like it's rare to find an open resort in mid-December. Today's open resort report for reference...
https://www.onthesnow.com/united-states/open-resorts.html

bcoachable

You made it sound (to me, anyway) like it's rare to find an open resort in mid-December. Today's open resort report for reference...
https://www.onthesnow.com/united-states/open-resorts.html

Our "go to gondola ride" to the top of the white stuff is better set up for mountain biking instead of skiing at the current moment... fingers crossed for more snow to fall. Heck, we have seen more snow in the south where I call home than our fav resort has this season (and we had not had any snow since 1992)
all that being said, I do not ever see any issues with loading or unloading these gondoloas. I think these installed at Disney are going to be a hit!

Next Big Thing

I wish I could open this thread and see something other than petty arguments about the theme or lack thereof. The stations could be better, but I also am perfectly fine with how they look as they look location appropriate.

Similar to why people are ed about TLJ, you guys are upset because the stations look different than YOU wanted. Sometimes things don't always go the way you want them too. And that's alright.

jakeman

I wish I could open this thread and see something other than petty arguments about the theme or lack thereof. The stations could be better, but I also am perfectly fine with how they look as they look location appropriate.

Similar to why people are ****ed about TLJ, you guys are upset because the stations look different than YOU wanted. Sometimes things don't always go the way you want them too. And that's alright.
I prefer the petty arguments on all the ways the gondolas will kill us.

disnyfan89

That is the station machinery, not the station architecture. The comment you bolded was about stock station architecture, not a desire to see custom designed machinery.

Once again, I invite you to provide me with a clear cut example of what a stock VR101 station looks like. From my research I see that all the stations feature the same look and feel. Set machinery with a plain floor and walls with minimal support columns featuring open windows and depending on the building a different canopy tacked on. This is no different then the new stations which have the same base machinery (which includes the protective housing/canopy for the equipment) and the decorative "architectural" touches Disney is adding as the station structure.

Incomudro

I seem to miss where I said they did not fit stylistically within the lands they are placed? Perhaps the only point I was trying to make is that sometimes it's okay for a gondola station to look like a station...
And the claims that everything was better in days of 'yore is not always verified by photographic evidence.
Some things were better.
Some things were run of the mill.
Few people were over analyzing and grading the efforts.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Your link is unnecessary cuz I believe I have more than clarified the intent behind my statement.
Well, there may be other people out there whose natural curiosities about snow conditions were aroused by our conversation.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Similar to why people are ****ed about TLJ, you guys are upset because the stations look different than YOU wanted. Sometimes things don't always go the way you want them too. And that's alright.
You think that's petty, you should go back and read the thread from the beginning again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom