News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

IanDLBZF

Its illegal for a business to request documentation of a service animal...Once again, a few who like to abuse a law wreck it for people who need the service animal.
However, a service animal can be excluded under certain circumstances, per the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).
Per this:
Q25. When can service animals be excluded? A: The ADA does not require covered entities to modify policies, practices, or procedures if it would “fundamentally alter” the nature of the goods, services, programs, or activities provided to the public. Nor does it overrule legitimate safety requirements. If admitting service animals would fundamentally alter the nature of a service or program, service animals may be prohibited. In addition, if a particular service animal is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it, or if it is not housebroken, that animal may be excluded.
Source: https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.pdf

Gatorboy

Oh, don't you just love the 8-12 year olds in the strollers? Idiot parents.
Take a look at Magic Kingdom photos in the 70's. Guess what's missing. A bunch of strollers and EVC's. Were they around then? Anyway, living in Florida all my life, I've had to put up with people that misuse Handicap parking spaces, EVC's, dogs where they don't belong, and not being able to say, is that a services dog, are you who that permit to park is for, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've been hit in the back of my legs with EVC's strollers, another great idea ruined by inconsiderate people. I have stepped down off soap box, I apologize.

Creathir

We're talking about a place where people literally rented disabled people to cut the lines...
If people want to find a way to bend the rules, they will.

I wonder what a service dog thinks of riding a gondola.

It always amazes me how service dogs (the real ones) are so well behaved.
I was in Salt Grass Steakhouse the other week and the table over had a service dog as its owner was blind.
The dog just SAT there... on the floor... in the middle of a steakhouse...

My dogs would probably die of heart attacks with all the tasty smells around them inside there...

I wonder if a service dog for the blind finds a gondola to be an interesting experience. They would be able to see out the glass doors and that they were lifting up into the air...

MiddKid

I wonder if a service dog for the blind finds a gondola to be an interesting experience. They would be able to see out the glass doors and that they were lifting up into the air...

Doors? Who needs doors? ;)
09-avalanche-dog.jpg
CC-Nothing-new-under-the-sun.Avalanche-dogs07.Ski-patroller-Colorado-300x214.jpg
8548b947ef922962d33ecd0cbdc6db55--copper-mountain-ski-snow-dogs.jpg
0126-0510-2621-3225_avalanche_dog_riding_a_chair_lift.jpg

trainplane3

We're talking about a place where people literally rented disabled people to cut the lines...
If people want to find a way to bend the rules, they will.

I wonder what a service dog thinks of riding a gondola.

It always amazes me how service dogs (the real ones) are so well behaved.
I was in Salt Grass Steakhouse the other week and the table over had a service dog as its owner was blind.
The dog just SAT there... on the floor... in the middle of a steakhouse...

My dogs would probably die of heart attacks with all the tasty smells around them inside there...

I worked at the Pittsburgh airport in sales for a electronics store. After being there a year and a half, I can quickly tell a service dog versus a "comfort" dog. Service dogs are quiet, stay close to their owner, and are just so well behaved in general. The owners are usually pretty serious about them when they're "working". One owner got snippy at a couple teen girls passing by for petting his dog. He said, "My dog's working. Come pet him when we're eating". They're awesome with how good they are in all sorts of environments.
Comfort dogs? Typically nervous things.

MiddKid

That is totally amazing to me...
Whomever trains those dogs... kudos...

Avy dogs are amazing. So fun to see them out on the slopes. Our local mountain has trading cards for each of the dogs and if your kid can recite one of the rules of the slopes they get a card. My three kids are obsessed about collecting the cards and then finding the dogs up on the hill. Here's a great video about Telluride's (not my home mountain) dogs:

WDWFREAK53

Oh, don't you just love the 8-12 year olds in the strollers? Idiot parents.

Lol! I have seen debates on whether to bring a stroller for a 9 year old... "Oh but it's so much walking, obviously I would never use it at home". Yeah? So how come you still have it then? ;) Mine went in the bin when youngest was 3. And I don't drive, we just used the buses or walked. If they were too tired to walk to the park/zoo/castle, we didn't go.

If your kid's tired, take a break. :banghead: Sit down and have a rest.

First off...I'm one of those parents. I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old (soon to be 8). Yes, I'm bringing a double stroller...call me an, "idiot parent" all you want.

Secondly...you say, "if your kid's tired, take a break...sit down and have a rest." Isn't that what they are doing if they are in the stroller? They walk the parks until they get tired and then hop in the stroller. At the price of these parks per day, you can bet your butt that I'd rather have them rest as we move through the parks than sit on a bench.

Judge away.

MissPixie

@WDWFREAK53 I totally get where you are coming from with the prices it costs with Disney and such and TBH a 4 year old is perfectly fine to rest in a stroller and if you want the 7 year old to get in from time to time when they get exhausted and you are hauling a double stroller than that is your decision. I have a 2 year year old and he , myself and my boyfriend were just there in July and he wanted to walk at times so he could see better which pulled my arm and shoulder a lot and he also wanted me or my boyfriend to carry him as well which was lovely in the heat. So I certainly know the importance of a stroller. I myself as a Mom probably will not have my son in a stroller at the parks at the age of 7 or 8, but when push comes to shove it comes down to the preference of the parent and if you want to do it then so be it and do it. The way I look at things if people look at me weird at the parks is who the heck cares because I don't know them and will most likely never see them ever again in my life.

Incomudro

Unfortunately, its against disability discrimination laws in the US to ask for a note to use an ECV, same for demanding documentation for a service dog. Im fine if people want to use them, but then they should be placed in their own area, that is apart from walkers.

That all being said, there are so many people that are just lazy, that it really wrecks it for the people that actually do require the use of an ECV. That and the 10 year old kids in stroller shaped battering rams.
At the risk of further derailing this thread, shouldn't disability laws require proof of disability?
Otherwise, anybody can pretend to have one while taking advantage of laws intended to protect those that actually do have a disability.

MissPixie

But back to the actually thread and the Gondola itself, if this is a success and I feel it will be it will get me to the parks quicker which will make me happier. Now if they could only have a magical security bag scanner on the Gondola that scans your bags and you will you are riding over so you don't have to wait in the security line to get in. :)

WDWFREAK53

@WDWFREAK53 I totally get where you are coming from with the prices it costs with Disney and such and TBH a 4 year old is perfectly fine to rest in a stroller and if you want the 7 year old to get in from time to time when they get exhausted and you are hauling a double stroller than that is your decision. I have a 2 year year old and he , myself and my boyfriend were just there in July and he wanted to walk at times so he could see better which pulled my arm and shoulder a lot and he also wanted me or my boyfriend to carry him as well which was lovely in the heat. So I certainly know the importance of a stroller. I myself as a Mom probably will not have my son in a stroller at the parks at the age of 7 or 8, but when push comes to shove it comes down to the preference of the parent and if you want to do it then so be it and do it. The way I look at things if people look at me weird at the parks is who the heck cares because I don't know them and will most likely never see them ever again in my life.

Exactly. I would say, most of the time we are there, we will be pushing an empty stroller (unless we need to get somewhere quick). (And on some days we won't even have it with us...if we're not doing an opening/closing day). If we weren't planning on August, I'd scratch the stroller altogether and carry him or throw him on my shoulders if we got tired. Fact is, it'll be August and neither of us would enjoy that. So, stroller it is...and if my daughter wants to hop in if her legs get tired from walking miles a day, so be it.

EDIT: That being said, if I ONLY had the 8 year old...I wouldn't have a stroller.

Bender123

But back to the actually thread and the Gondola itself, if this is a success and I feel it will be it will get me to the parks quicker which will make me happier. Now if they could only have a magical security bag scanner on the Gondola that scans your bags and you will you are riding over so you don't have to wait in the security line to get in. :)

I would hope they base security for the gondola on the current MK/Epcot monorail model. Have security at the load platform, while you are waiting and less densely packed in and let people who ride the skyliner bypass park side security.

Incomudro

Take a look at Magic Kingdom photos in the 70's. Guess what's missing. A bunch of strollers and EVC's. Were they around then? Anyway, living in Florida all my life, I've had to put up with people that misuse Handicap parking spaces, EVC's, dogs where they don't belong, and not being able to say, is that a services dog, are you who that permit to park is for, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've been hit in the back of my legs with EVC's strollers, another great idea ruined by inconsiderate people. I have stepped down off soap box, I apologize.
Good point.
How can placards be required for handicapped parking, but documentation not be required for ECV's or service dogs?

thepirateking

I'm excited about the way this system will connect some of the resorts and parks.

The part that has always worried me is the interface between the gondola and the cable as it seems like the "weakest link in the chain".

@Lift Blog Can you give any details on the connector grip itself? What kind of force is required to detach and re-attach the cable grip? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

ak460.jpg

LukeS7

Its illegal for a business to request documentation of a service animal...Once again, a few who like to abuse a law wreck it for people who need the service animal.
My girlfriend and I both used to work as servers and she had a customer come in trying to claim that a very poorly behaved chihuahua was a service dog and we could do nothing about it. It's infuriating when people take advantage of the system. Looking back on it, that incident is kinda funny now, but still.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom