News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

LukeS7

I don't laugh... I find it disgraceful. It's like Wall-E.

Reminds me of a guest who parked their vehicle outside Harbor House and then easily walked inside. I won't go into hidden physical issues or guest sizes or anything... short version is she parked it right up against the outward opening exit only door. Cut to a strong male trying to open the door from inside. He gave the door a huge shove and over went the ECV, contents and all. No sympathy.
Good. #sorrynotsorry

MissPixie

Reminds me of a guest who parked their vehicle outside Harbor House and then easily walked inside. I won't go into hidden physical issues or guest sizes or anything... short version is she parked it right up against the outward opening exit only door. Cut to a strong male trying to open the door from inside. He gave the door a huge shove and over went the ECV, contents and all. No sympathy.
I don't have sympathy for that at all, but there are plenty of individuals who have a legit disability and need them and I am fine with that because they deserve ever right to enjoy the park as I do. I do wish like the above member suggested that ECV could require a Doctor's note for the need of one of there scooters. It will never happen, but it is a great idea.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If I understand the system correctly, the cable keeps moving.... The cars detach from the cable when they enter the station.... So, except for when it is shut down completely, there is no regular and repetitive start / stop wear.

The system would still need to stop if there is a backup. The cars detach, but the station has finite capacity. So like a zoned system, you still have dispatch intervals to maintain else you risk cascading. But unlike a gravity system, the cable system can alter its speed when the dispatches are running behind... to reduce the risk of a complete stop.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The system would still need to stop if there is a backup. The cars detach, but the station has finite capacity. So like a zoned system, you still have dispatch intervals to maintain else you risk cascading. But unlike a gravity system, the cable system can alter its speed when the dispatches are running behind... to reduce the risk of a complete stop.
If anyone remembers the original JII ride system it's very like that.

trainplane3

I would be thrilled if Disney would require all of these ECV rental company's to force all customers to present a doctors written note. That way, just being lazy won't get you an ECV.

I don't want to send this thread off the rails, but this got me to remember...
About 2 years ago in Epcot I saw a (ex) Marine with a prosthetic leg on one side and nothing below the knee on the other. Was he in a ECV? No. He was moving (like a boss!) on crutches. He was outrunning just about everyone in the park. I saw him later that day and he was still keeping the pace.

Bender123

I don't have sympathy for that at all, but there are plenty of individuals who have a legit disability and need them and I am fine with that because they deserve ever right to enjoy the park as I do. I do wish like the above member suggested that ECV could require a Doctor's note for the need of one of there scooters. It will never happen, but it is a great idea.

Unfortunately, its against disability discrimination laws in the US to ask for a note to use an ECV, same for demanding documentation for a service dog. Im fine if people want to use them, but then they should be placed in their own area, that is apart from walkers.

That all being said, there are so many people that are just lazy, that it really wrecks it for the people that actually do require the use of an ECV. That and the 10 year old kids in stroller shaped battering rams.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Disney World is literally the only place on the planet where this is a problem. That "blessing of size" has led to the blessing of ECVs. People simply do not want to, or in some rare cases, can't, do all the walking required. Rather then not go to WDW, they get themselves a go-cart. Since they are so prevalent in the swamp, it's easy to justify.

Bender123

Disney World is literally the only place on the planet where this is a problem. That "blessing of size" has led to the blessing of ECVs. People simply do not want to, or in some rare cases, can't, do all the walking required. Rather then not go to WDW, they get themselves a go-cart. Since they are so prevalent in the swamp, it's easy to justify.

Im just laughing at the order of words you used and the punctuation..."Since they are so prevalent in the swamp, it's easy to justify"...like there is some swamp boat that goes out into the swamp to go see gators and ECVs in their natural environment. Some toothless swamp guy in bib overalls diving into the water to wrestle and capture a wild scooter for some Disney guest...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Im just laughing at the order of words you used and the punctuation..."Since they are so prevalent in the swamp, it's easy to justify"...like there is some swamp boat that goes out into the swamp to go see gators and ECVs in their natural environment. Some toothless swamp guy in bib overalls diving into the water to wrestle and capture a wild scooter for some Disney guest...
Is that not where ECVs come from?

trainplane3

Unfortunately, its against disability discrimination laws in the US to ask for a note to use an ECV, same for demanding documentation for a service dog. Im fine if people want to use them, but then they should be placed in their own area, that is apart from walkers.

That all being said, there are so many people that are just lazy, that it really wrecks it for the people that actually do require the use of an ECV. That and the 10 year old kids in stroller shaped battering rams.
#1 reason why I barely go to MK anymore.
I'm all for people that need ECV's. But the lazy people are what ruins it for everyone. Besides, I couldn't imagine wanting a ECV. It seems more like a inconvenience than anything. I'm going to WDW with a couple of friends next week and one of them had some minor surgery on his leg about 2 weeks ago. He said "Maybe we can get a wheelchair and go on all the rides easier". I said, "You go in a wheelchair, it's going in the Seven Seas Lagoon with you in it". He was joking since he knows it would be a pain to deal with.

MissPixie

Yeah, I know it's against the law to do so and like so many things people walk all over it because of that or in this case ride all over it. :) I am perfectly fine with people who need them as well. The problem with having lanes for just EVC's and wheelchairs and others for just walkers it wouldn't work because people wouldn't pay attention to it. How often do you see people walking aimlessly around WDW or walking and looking or texting on their phones and not paying attention to where they are going or reading the Disney Map? I know I have seen it many times. People would either not pay attention to it or even become confused with it in some way or another. It is certainly a good concept, but when you are talking about the amount of people it just wouldn't work. I can just see people trying to leave the Magic Kingdom with one path for the ECV's and one for walkers after Happily After Ever and it is wall to wall people. It would be a madhouse with people going in the wrong area and the CM's having to direct people in and out. Great concept, but just wouldn't work I don't think.

Oh and as for strollers don't get me started on that. I just went with my 2 year old in July and it was difficult navigating him around in that. Sure he needed the stroller because he is 2, but I know what you mean by those older kids in stroller. My son actually wanted to walk more than being in the stroller because he could see more stuff better. This led to pulling my arm out of socket. Ha Ha :) He also wanted to be held quite often which was a treat in the heat for myself and my boyfriend. :)

Goob

My favorite from last week was a guy with full on coolers stacked in the stroller...it was basically a mobile buffet table he was pushing around.
Was he towing it with his ECV?

God help me if I ever lose my self-pride and dignity enough to "need" to cruise around WDW in a hoveround.

MissPixie

Oh, don't you just love the 8-12 year olds in the strollers? Idiot parents.
I mean if they have to have some control of their kid then get one of those kid leashes so they don't run off. I know it gets really hot and it's a lot of walking but they are kids and unless they have some medical reason there is no reason for that. Heck at the end of the day I am exhausted and my back and legs are killing me, but I get up the next day and do it again in another park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom