News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

TiggerDad

I would hope they base security for the gondola on the current MK/Epcot monorail model. Have security at the load platform, while you are waiting and less densely packed in and let people who ride the skyliner bypass park side security.
That is the plan, according to some of the insiders on this thread. The gondolas would be within the security perimeter.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I would hope they base security for the gondola on the current MK/Epcot monorail model. Have security at the load platform, while you are waiting and less densely packed in and let people who ride the skyliner bypass park side security.

I believe that it's been stated earlier that the gondola system will be within the secure zone, meaning that you will have to go through security before you get on. You will not have to go through security again at Epcot or at DHS.

Edit: What he said ^^^. :)

allgiggles

I'm wondering if the ECV/Wheelchair combo will fit in one Gondola car?

ECV.jpg

mmascari

@Lift Blog Can you give any details on the connector grip itself? What kind of force is required to detach and re-attach the cable grip? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

ak460.jpg
You're correct on how it works. That clamp is squeezed open in the station and it let's go of the cable.

In this photo, you can see 2 wheels on the left, and 1 on the far right. When entering the station, these roll in a track that supports the car. The high wheel near the center is pushed down by the track, compressing those springs, the ones that look like car suspension coil springs. That opens the clamp and releases the cable. Above the left wheels is a skid. There are tires in the station that push on this skid to move the car along the track, decelerating on the way in, slowly through the middle, then accelerating on the exit. The exit should have some downward slope so gravity helps the acceleration and lands the clamp on top of the cable. Springs are released and it's gripping the cable again.

Think of the track more like a slot that contains these parts through the station. Every detachable lift in operation, not just gondolas, uses something similar and have been around a long time. In your car, those same type of springs, probably 1 at each tire, support the entire weight of your car, a not trivial amount of weight (unless you drive a smart car).

That's a lot of force gripping the cable, it'll be fine.

The promotional videos show this.

Unless there's freezing rain. That freezing rain allows it to slip sideways in the track, in a direction it's not supposed to move in. Not a problem getting back on the wire, the ice is gone by then. But, it messes up the deceleration part of the trip when you disconnect. Snow is fine, and so is rain. Only freezing rain is the issue. A frequent problem in FL. :cool:

Bender123

I'm wondering if the ECV/Wheelchair combo will fit in one Gondola car?

View attachment 220175

Disney should just put cable clamps on all rental ECVs, so the people driving them can just be linked directly to the cable and avoid the whole loading into a cabin process. Just strap granny into the ECV, clamp her to the rope and let her fly off to Epcot.

Grimley1968

You're correct on how it works. That clamp is squeezed open in the station and it let's go of the cable.

In this photo, you can see 2 wheels on the left, and 1 on the far right. When entering the station, these roll in a track that supports the car. The high wheel near the center is pushed down by the track, compressing those springs, the ones that look like car suspension coil springs. That opens the clamp and releases the cable. Above the left wheels is a skid. There are tires in the station that push on this skid to move the car along the track, decelerating on the way in, slowly through the middle, then accelerating on the exit. The exit should have some downward slope so gravity helps the acceleration and lands the clamp on top of the cable. Springs are released and it's gripping the cable again.

Think of the track more like a slot that contains these parts through the station. Every detachable lift in operation, not just gondolas, uses something similar and have been around a long time. In your car, those same type of springs, probably 1 at each tire, support the entire weight of your car, a not trivial amount of weight (unless you drive a smart car).

That's a lot of force gripping the cable, it'll be fine.

The promotional videos show this.

Unless there's freezing rain. That freezing rain allows it to slip sideways in the track, in a direction it's not supposed to move in. Not a problem getting back on the wire, the ice is gone by then. But, it messes up the deceleration part of the trip when you disconnect. Snow is fine, and so is rain. Only freezing rain is the issue. A frequent problem in FL. :cool:

Great post.

That's a little simpler process than I thought it might be, and obviously one that has worked well for a long time.

misterID

I'm excited about the way this system will connect some of the resorts and parks.

The part that has always worried me is the interface between the gondola and the cable as it seems like the "weakest link in the chain".

@Lift Blog Can you give any details on the connector grip itself? What kind of force is required to detach and re-attach the cable grip? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

ak460.jpg
I can't tell you how nervous those things make me. Also, doesn't anyone thing they're going to ruin the skyline of the resort? Like Christmas lights strung across a tiki bar.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Service Animals:

1. Service Animals do not need certification or papers, so, asking for proof doesn't mean anything. Some states have certification programs, but the Federal ADA doesn't require it.
2. You can ask: "Is that animal needed to provide a service because of a disability?" and "What service does it perform?"
3. Companion animals and emotional support animals are not service animals and are not covered by the ADA. They can be legally excluded.
  • Though, don't confuse these animals with a true service animal for someone with a psychiatric disorder. If they're a service animal, they do something the owner can't do for themselves.
  • And don't confuse any of these with a Therapy Animal which is used in nursing homes, e.g. Therapy Animals are not covered by the ADA.
4. If a Service Animal can't be reasonably accommodated (e.g. go on a bungee ride), then they can be excluded.
5. If a Service Animal is disruptive (barks in a theater, e.g.) it can be excluded.
6. Otherwise, Service Animals may not be excluded from places of public accommodation.​

Bibliography:

thepirateking

I can't tell you how nervous those things make me. Also, doesn't anyone thing they're going to ruin the skyline of the resort? Like Christmas lights strung across a tiki bar.

That's really my only real concern about this system. I don't think cables and towers are that pretty. At least it will be cutting through the trees in some areas and low to the ground for the most part.

jaklgreen

@WDWFREAK53 I totally get where you are coming from with the prices it costs with Disney and such and TBH a 4 year old is perfectly fine to rest in a stroller and if you want the 7 year old to get in from time to time when they get exhausted and you are hauling a double stroller than that is your decision. I have a 2 year year old and he , myself and my boyfriend were just there in July and he wanted to walk at times so he could see better which pulled my arm and shoulder a lot and he also wanted me or my boyfriend to carry him as well which was lovely in the heat. So I certainly know the importance of a stroller. I myself as a Mom probably will not have my son in a stroller at the parks at the age of 7 or 8, but when push comes to shove it comes down to the preference of the parent and if you want to do it then so be it and do it. The way I look at things if people look at me weird at the parks is who the heck cares because I don't know them and will most likely never see them ever again in my life.

My kids are 13 months apart and we stopped using a stroller when the youngest turned 5. We go yearly and they did not have any issues with walking all day. In fact, kids have more energy then adults do. By the time my girls were 8 they said that they wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller because strollers are for babies. We were more then happy to be rid of of the stroller, it is more of a pain then a benefit. Especially if your kids are well past the age of needing one. I find it fascinating how kids that age never needed to be in a stroller up until about 15 years ago. Now older kids are unable to walk for themselves? What are we doing wrong that kids are now incapable of doing things that past generations were able to do?

MaximumEd

Our daughter was 6 the first time we went. No stroller. She ran circles around us from rope drop until close for several days. They must pump amphetemines along with scents out of those smellitizers.

MissPixie

My kids are 13 months apart and we stopped using a stroller when the youngest turned 5. We go yearly and they did not have any issues with walking all day. In fact, kids have more energy then adults do. By the time my girls were 8 they said that they wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller because strollers are for babies. We were more then happy to be rid of of the stroller, it is more of a pain then a benefit. Especially if your kids are well past the age of needing one. I find it fascinating how kids that age never needed to be in a stroller up until about 15 years ago. Now older kids are unable to walk for themselves? What are we doing wrong that kids are now incapable of doing things that past generations were able to do?
Like I said we went this July and my son is 2 and sure we brought the stroller because his little legs did get tired at times as expected, but he preferred to walk and have his hand held. He could see things a lot better than sitting in the stroller with the shaded thing over him because it was so hot. I preferred him to walk even though it made for my arm and shoulder to hurt by days end with all the pulling, but he did need the stroller from time to time because he got tired. I can't see him even at 5 years old wanting anything to do with a stroller.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom