News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MaximumEd

Dang, it's not like Granny is all by herself trying to navigate her scooter through that door, and if she can't figure it out in 10 seconds she plummets to her death. Staff will be abundant and well-prepared for dealing with it. Relax.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You are right. Disney has NEVER done anything stupid before or miscalculated what was going to happen. Every thing always runs smoothly.

Luckily, Disney isn't inventing the gondola system or ordering a never-been-done imagineered-from-scratch transportation system. They're having the biggest name in gondola lifts, used successfully around the world, install a system for them.

You wouldn't be questioning Disney's purchase of new buses: Are they ACA compliant? How could an EVC ever get into them? Are they safe on highways? If the A/C goes down in mid-transport, will everyone die of heat exhaustion? What if someone tries to sit in the driver's lap? What if the driver has a heart attack?

cindy_k

Yay! I found some new pictures. Work at AoA.
http://www.chipandco.com/photo-update-construction-disney-skyliner-gondola-system-277557/

9-600x450.jpg

MaximumEd

You don't think that stopping and starting causes more stress on a cable?

No. They don't stop like you jam on the brakes with both feet. Even if it did, that wire rope is over engineered to the point that nothing that happens in normal or even abnormal operation is going to break it short of a plane falling out of the sky. C'mon. I like to hear both sides of an issue, but that's just pulling stuff out of your rear end.

jaklgreen

Luckily, Disney isn't inventing the gondola system or ordering a never-been-done imagineered-from-scratch transportation system. They're having the biggest name in gondola lifts, used successfully around the world, install a system for them.

You wouldn't be questioning Disney's purchase of new buses: Are they ACA compliant? How could an EVC ever get into them? Are they safe on highways? If the A/C goes down in mid-transport, will everyone die of heat exhaustion? What if someone tries to sit in the driver's lap? What if the driver has a heart attack?

Fine, you guys win. Disney is building this so its going to be frickin AMAZING! The best thing ever! No old person in their rented ECV is going to have any issues at all. No kid is going to freak out when they see how high they are. Everyone at these resorts is going to LOVE it and pay double just to stay there. It's never going to have any issues at all. Why didn't they do this years earlier we could have all been saved from riding in the horrible buses. WDW property can all be connected by gondolas, just a big highway in the sky, oh. Dang it that phrase is taken.

MaximumEd

Cool. Thanks. We win, then. Look, could it have issues? Sure, but it's not a new thing. Gondolas run all over the world. If issues do pop up, they'll get on it and fix it. For all we gripe, me included on occasion, WDW runs pretty dang smooth considering the amount of people they jam in that place. It's pretty amazing to step back and think about.

lazyboy97o

No, but I'd bet it's the first place with a gondola where regularly complete novices at using ECVs are renting and using them.
Novices visit and live in other places in the world. These novices made it to the gondola station and all of the same obstacles along the way.

The problem is that others are mid air in a non-air conditioned hot box. Stopping and going is going to put more strain on the cables then a smooth motion.
That’s not how the system works.

shortstop

Fine, you guys win. Disney is building this so its going to be frickin AMAZING! The best thing ever! No old person in their rented ECV is going to have any issues at all. No kid is going to freak out when they see how high they are. Everyone at these resorts is going to LOVE it and pay double just to stay there. It's never going to have any issues at all. Why didn't they do this years earlier we could have all been saved from riding in the horrible buses. WDW property can all be connected by gondolas, just a big highway in the sky, oh. Dang it that phrase is taken.
And the worst part is the gondolas are a requirement for a WDW vacation! If you don't want to ride it, better just not come in the first place!

Oh wait...

jaklgreen

Look, could it have issues? Sure,

So now you are agreeing with me? Seriously? That is all we were saying that there can be issues, and naming off a few. But no, you have to berate others for saying that and then turn around and say it yourself. You guys are something else.

MaximumEd

So now you are agreeing with me? Seriously? That is all we were saying that there can be issues, and naming off a few. But no, you have to berate others for saying that and then turn around and say it yourself. You guys are something else.

No, I don't agree with you. I said "could", not "would". Also, if you think that's berating, well....I can't help you there.

MaximumEd

I never started naming off every possible scenario to why this will be the huge problem some think it will be. I also can't see the future, so I threw in the "could". I think it's going to be really cool and come off without a hitch, but the good news is if we wait awhile, we will see. I got no money in it either way and don't really care. I just like jawing on discussion boards.

Kamikaze

You don't think that stopping and starting causes more stress on a cable?

Its the bullwheel thats stopped, not the cabins. The cabins and the cable have no method of self movement.

The bullwheel is connected to an engine, and that (like any motor/engine) is designed to be stopped and started.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom