News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jaklgreen

Professional naysayers in here with no real evidence or data to back up their opinion as legitimate. Ya'll would be horrible imagineers. lol

There is a big difference in being a realist and a bit skeptical and just being a naysayer. I rather make sure that I look at all the angles and err on the side of caution then thinking every idea is a great one. There is no data or real evidence that this system will work in a theme park where the average high is 82 degrees and all levels of physical and mental capabilities are welcome. Not only that, they are building this at 3 of the biggest resorts. So they are expecting a good chunk of their guests to just take to the skies with ease. If you are not skeptical then you are a fool.

jaklgreen

The gondola line speed is fast...the station speed can be molasses slow or even stopped if the need arises. Even if they have never been in a gondola, there is no reason to think this will be any more difficult than granny driving up the bus ramps, as they do now.

Umm, have you seen granny trying to get up the ramp to the bus? Every single trip I see someone almost ride right off of the ramp but the bus driver catches them. Ask any bus driver and I am sure he will tell you this happens all the time. In fact, now they let the bus drivers just drive the ECV onto the bus themselves if the person wants. In the past they were not allowed to.

Incomudro

If these boards had existed when the monorail was first introduced can you imagine the debates that would have raged about them?

How will people get on them?
What about strollers?
They haven't thought this through, what about people in wheelchairs?
Will they have air conditioning?
What happens if they break down?
It's a recipe for disaster I tell you, Disney will be ruling the day they ever came up with this hare-brained idea.
You won't catch me getting on one of those contraptions.
What happens if there's wind / lightening?

Did I miss anything? ;)
It was a far less crowded park or parks in days of yore.
The obesity rate of the average American was a fraction of what it is today - the average American woman outweighs the average American male from those days.
Mobility scooters were non existent.
The stroller population was a fraction of what it is today.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There is a big difference in being a realist and a bit skeptical and just being a naysayer.
You're being a naysayer. I realist typically has some type of evidence and/or history to back up his or her claim.

I rather make sure that I look at all the angles and err on the side of caution then thinking every idea is a great one.
You're not looking at all the angles. You're making assumptions based on your personal belief and lack of understanding of gondolas, and pretending the real life use of these systems does not exist. And you're assuming that Disney is not looking at all angles.

There is no data or real evidence that this system will work in a theme park where the average high is 82 degrees and all levels of physical and mental capabilities are welcome
Sure there is. It would be relatively easy for Disney to complete this type of analysis.

If you are not skeptical then you are a fool.
Again, it is one thing to be skeptical and another to pretend the evidence for the efficient use of these types of systems do not exist. The only way this would turn into an inefficient nightmare is if Disney does not implement the appropriate best practices to run the system efficiently.

Bender123

Umm, have you seen granny trying to get up the ramp to the bus? Every single trip I see someone almost ride right off of the ramp but the bus driver catches them. Ask any bus driver and I am sure he will tell you this happens all the time. In fact, now they let the bus drivers just drive the ECV onto the bus themselves if the person wants. In the past they were not allowed to.

And how would this be any different/worse than the current system that makes everybody sit and wait for a single bus, then wait for the ECV load? A minor stoppage every 20 minutes to load a person is still going to be vastly batter than the current bus system throughput of around 300 ppl per hour. If the 5000 ppl/hr estimate is correct or even half right, we are still vastly ahead compared to the current system, even when including the occasional wheelchair failure.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The problem does not lie with Disney, but rather with the average guest - who is not representative of the average person in other parts of the world.
I am not worried about nothing based on a limited knowledge of how gondola systems work.
I am worried based on real world observations based on how people - specifically WDW park goers - handle things.
"The vehicle and the platform are moving at the same speed..."

Let's rip out the Haunted Manison and all those others too... because today's guests are too stupid to figure out how to get on.

Kamikaze

And this has what to do with gondolas? These are level loading. And if the person can't get it right they can just wait 10 seconds and try again on the next one.

wannabeBelle

Maybe they'll just have the guests with ECVs drive to their destination. Problem solved.
A friend did this!!! One of our other agents, Gloria had broken her foot and had an ECV for that trip. She just missed the boat from the Studios and was all kinds of mad until she realized she was in the ECV. She just drove herself over to EPCOT via the walking paths. Problem solved!! Marie

Gatorboy

There is a big difference in being a realist and a bit skeptical and just being a naysayer. I rather make sure that I look at all the angles and err on the side of caution then thinking every idea is a great one. There is no data or real evidence that this system will work in a theme park where the average high is 82 degrees and all levels of physical and mental capabilities are welcome. Not only that, they are building this at 3 of the biggest resorts. So they are expecting a good chunk of their guests to just take to the skies with ease. If you are not skeptical then you are a fool.
Disney moves hundreds of thousands of people all over their property on several different systems. I think they are well aware of what's needed in a transportation system and wouldn't be wasting money on this if they weren't confident in it. Do you seriously think they haven't thought of all the worries that constantly are said here, so who is the fool.

jaklgreen

And how would this be any different/worse than the current system that makes everybody sit and wait for a single bus, then wait for the ECV load? A minor stoppage every 20 minutes to load a person is still going to be vastly batter than the current bus system throughput of around 300 ppl per hour. If the 5000 ppl/hr estimate is correct or even half right, we are still vastly ahead compared to the current system, even when including the occasional wheelchair failure.

The problem is that others are mid air in a non-air conditioned hot box. Stopping and going is going to put more strain on the cables then a smooth motion.

jaklgreen

Disney moves hundreds of thousands of people all over their property on several different systems. I think they are well aware of what's needed in a transportation system and wouldn't be wasting money on this if they weren't confident in it. Do you seriously think they haven't thought of all the worries that constantly are said here, so who is the fool.

You are right. Disney has NEVER done anything stupid before or miscalculated what was going to happen. Every thing always runs smoothly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom