News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Incomudro

There will be no "pulling cars off to the side" except for maintenance. I watch average Americans negotiate gondolas every day this time of year. These are not skiers or hikers but national park road-trippers looking for the easiest possible access to the mountains. It works fine. Sometimes we have to slow or stop the lift and help with strollers but usually people are so intimidated by the whole thing that they actually do quite well. If you can get on an escalator, you can get on a gondola. Wheelchairs, scooters and strollers can be wheeled right on.

Yeah, about that getting on an escalator part...
Many people have a hard time with that.
They have an even harder time getting off, and often stop right :eek: at the top.

jaklgreen

It’s not a “thing.” It’s just more baseless nonsense that has been debunked repeatedly.

Something like this has not been done at a place like WDW. There is a totally different demographic of people that visit WDW then lets say the mountains. You are looking at this from a view point that most that visit WDW are very mobile and have all of their wits about them. We all know that is not the case. WDW has too many with mobility issues and "vacation brain" to make this go smooth as silk like you think. I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt but am also a realist. Too many are not aware of their surroundings enough to make a constantly moving transportation something that will run "smoothly". The last thing I or anyone wants is to be constantly stopped while in air to load someone who is having issue. Heck, look at the amount of people who have issue getting onto a stationary bus. So your 5 minute ride will easily turn into 20 minutes in a enclosed, non air conditioned hot box. FUN!

lazyboy97o

Something like this has not been done at a place like WDW. There is a totally different demographic of people that visit WDW then lets say the mountains. You are looking at this from a view point that most that visit WDW are very mobile and have all of their wits about them. We all know that is not the case. WDW has too many with mobility issues and "vacation brain" to make this go smooth as silk like you think. I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt but am also a realist. Too many are not aware of their surroundings enough to make a constantly moving transportation something that will run "smoothly". The last thing I or anyone wants is to be constantly stopped while in air to load someone who is having issue. Heck, look at the amount of people who have issue getting onto a stationary bus.
Do a thread search and watch the videos showing how much of a non-issue loading is with these systems. It is far easier than every other transit system at Walt Disney World. It is no different than going through an opening. This isn’t an issue of people thinking about the wrong demographics, it is an issue of people being unfamiliar with these systems and Disney’s own additional design standards.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Something like this has not been done at a place like WDW. There is a totally different demographic of people that visit WDW then lets say the mountains. You are looking at this from a view point that most that visit WDW are very mobile and have all of their wits about them. We all know that is not the case. WDW has too many with mobility issues and "vacation brain" to make this go smooth as silk like you think. I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt but am also a realist. Too many are not aware of their surroundings enough to make a constantly moving transportation something that will run "smoothly". The last thing I or anyone wants is to be constantly stopped while in air to load someone who is having issue. Heck, look at the amount of people who have issue getting onto a stationary bus. So your 5 minute ride will easily turn into 20 minutes in a enclosed, non air conditioned hot box. FUN!

Why do you think it will be constantly stopped? The carts disconnect from the cable and slow down for eaiser loading. Once loaded, they reconnect and are on their way.

I think you're assuming disney has not studied the logistics.

Incomudro

Do a thread search and watch the videos showing how much of a non-issue loading is with these systems. It is far easier than every other transit system at Walt Disney World. It is no different than going through an opening. This isn’t an issue of people thinking about the wrong demographics, it is an issue of people being unfamiliar with these systems and Disney’s own additional design standards.

At WDW?
Are there videos of WDW guests getting in gondolas?
Not yet of course.
Look, the average WDW guest is not the average skier boarding a gondola (who is arguably athletic and aware of their surroundings), nor the average resident of some other country that has a gondola system who is arguably in better physical condition than the average American.

jaklgreen

Why do you think it will be constantly stopped? The carts disconnect from the cable and slow down for eaiser loading. Once loaded, they reconnect and are on their way.

I think you're assuming disney has not studied the logistics.

I watched the video, they do slow down, of course. But it was being said that they can stop to load if there was and issue. That has to back everything up. There can only be so many gondolas in the loading area. Look at how many rides that have the same system of constantly running and slowing down at the loading area that have issues. We are constantly being stopped on rides like the haunted mansion because of loading mobility issues. I know they are not exactly the same but still there will be times this happens. I think that when they do open that Disney should try to steer those with mobility issues away from these resorts. We have a skyway at our local zoo, the seat type where all you have to do is stand there and sit when the seat comes up behind you. It is constantly being stopped because no one can figure that out.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I watched the video, they do slow down, of course. But it was being said that they can stop to load if there was and issue. That has to back everything up. There can only be so many gondolas in the loading area. Look at how many rides that have the same system of constantly running and slowing down at the loading area that have issues. We are constantly being stopped on rides like the haunted mansion because of loading mobility issues. I know they are not exactly the same but still there will be times this happens. I think that when they do open that Disney should try to steer those with mobility issues away from these resorts. We have a skyway at our local zoo, the seat type where all you have to do is stand there and sit when the seat comes up behind you. It is constantly being stopped because no one can figure that out.

No ride at the park has this system.

If gondolas all over the world can be used efficiently and accept people with wheelchairs, bikes, skis, snowboards, and deal with little kids....I am sure Disney will be able to sort out any potential issues. They are not reinventing the wheel. There are plenty of best practices out there that are available to them. You're worrying for nothing, based on a limited knowledge of how a gondola system works.

Incomudro

If gondolas all over the world can be used efficiently and accept people with wheelchairs, bikes, skis, snowboards, and deal with little kids....I am sure Disney will be able to sort out any potential issues. They are not reinventing the wheel. There are plenty of best practices out there that are available to them. You're worrying for nothing, based on a limited knowledge of how a gondola system works.

The problem does not lie with Disney, but rather with the average guest - who is not representative of the average person in other parts of the world.
I am not worried about nothing based on a limited knowledge of how gondola systems work.
I am worried based on real world observations based on how people - specifically WDW park goers - handle things.
"The vehicle and the platform are moving at the same speed..."

jaklgreen

Obviously there is no "in the air" system in the parks(anymore). But the constant moving, slowing down to load is the same. The issue is you are looking at it as if everyone has the same physical and mental stability as you and I. We can see this and use it with no issues. But I am not naive enough to think that there will be people who will have issues with this. My point being that some are saying they will not run the buses if the gondolas are up. I would like to see that they actually do run some buses for those who won't be able to ride the gondolas. Or that Disney makes sure that everyone staying at those resorts knows that this will be their 1 and only mode of transportation to those parks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The problem does not lie with Disney, but rather with the average guest - who is not representative of the average person in other parts of the world.
I am not worried about nothing based on a limited knowledge of how gondola systems work.
I am worried based on real world observations based on how people - specifically WDW park goers - handle things.
"The vehicle and the platform are moving at the same speed..."

Obviously there is no "in the air" system in the parks(anymore). But the constant moving, slowing down to load is the same. The issue is you are looking at it as if everyone has the same physical and mental stability as you and I. We can see this and use it with no issues. But I am not naive enough to think that there will be people who will have issues with this. My point being that some are saying they will not run the buses if the gondolas are up. I would like to see that they actually do run some buses for those who won't be able to ride the gondolas. Or that Disney makes sure that everyone staying at those resorts knows that this will be their 1 and only mode of transportation to those parks.

Do you have any data that shows the demographics of Disney guests are so different than the demographics of other tourists who use gondolas that it will not work at Disney?

You are like the guys in the meeting that shoot down every idea from colleagues with an excuse for each of why it won't work. Instead of coming up with reasons for why this system won't work, maybe you should look at all the evidence available that shows it can definitely work if implemented properly.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I don't think they would stop the line for someone with problems getting into a car. If they can't figure out how to get in by the time the car gets near to the departure point, they will simply have the guest go back and try a different car.

jaklgreen

There are too videos of guests getting in gondolas at WDW:

That
I don't think they would stop the line for someone with problems getting into a car. If they can't figure out how to get in by the time the car gets near to the departure point, they will simply have the guest go back and try a different car.

My main concern are the ECVs. We have all seen how so many people have issues maneuvering them in small spaces. And that is when something is stationary. Having a slowly moving gondola with just enough space to fit one of those into driven by a senior is a recipe for issues. I can easily see someone rolls their ECV in and just stops right inside the door way not making room for others behind them. And then what? Are they going to have to try to back out when unloading or will it open up on the other end? The majority of people probably will not have any issues. I hope all goes smoothly but being realistic and going to WDW for over 20 years and seeing all kinds of stupid crap, I have no doubt someone will have serious issues.

Lift Blog

It's going to be fascinating to watch the reaction as groups are told they have to split up based on weight and car capacity.

What we call where I work the "point" job is key. Someone who needs to be seriously on top of their game asking "How many are in your group today" and assigning to cabins by number then back filling with single guests and smaller groups. Ideally you get eight people ready to begin loading as soon as the cabin is empty because the next one is ~12 seconds behind. In the winter we have 2-3 other employees at each station just helping people load. Not having skis and snowboards is huge. In the summer, an entire terminal can be staffed with just one person here.

My next gondola shift is later in the week and I should count the number of wheelchairs, elderly folks, people with canes and strollers and report back. It will surprise some of you guys.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But you can't fix stupid. You know very well that there are going to be many people that will not be able to negotiate this opening no matter how wide and accommodating it may be. These are the same people that can't walk through a standard doorway without falling on the rear ends.

I often marvel at how some people are unable to step across open thresholds without stopping.
As if there is some impediment in the way.
Ever notice how many people without bags insist on going through the bag check entrances of Disney Park entrances, when there are wide open areas with attendants encouraging them to go through?
Ever notice how people pile into one or two entranceway turnstyles when there are many open and empty turnstyles clearly visible just to the sides?

And that's why Disney abandoned omnimovers decades ago?

At WDW?
Are there videos of WDW guests getting in gondolas?
Not yet of course.
Look, the average WDW guest is not the average skier boarding a gondola (who is arguably athletic and aware of their surroundings), nor the average resident of some other country that has a gondola system who is arguably in better physical condition than the average American.

See this post: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation.924477/page-171#post-7692633

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom